• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking in tongues

Beaudreaux

sallywags said:
Im a new christion and pray this way sometimes at night before falling asleep. Its better then my sleeping tablets which I flushed down the toilet months ago!I dont understand what im saying, but it works for me.Im finding being a christion so hard,I thought it would be easy...some days I feel iv lost the plot compleatly. But im sticking at it, and if anyone can give me any advice on overcoming doubts and bad thoughts I get please? thank you.

The best and only way to overcome doubts is to face them directly and question hard. If your God is real and true, then no amount of questioning will damage him and your faith will be stronger.

TEXASBULL

The best and only way to overcome doubts is to face them directly and question hard. If your God is real and true, then no amount of questioning will damage him and your faith will be stronger.

I wish that was taught from pulpits. If you have questions and doubt in church , they compare you to " doubting Thomas' and say you have no faith. A scare tacit to keep the sheep in line

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Why not? People guess all the time and draw conclusions.
Because you become your own authority instead of the Word of God.

And besides the book of Acts is an inspired historical narrative, Corinthians is direct instruction from God, through Paul to the Church and it clearly implies that not every Christian speaks with tongues and neither are they expected to any more than every Christian is an apostle.

TEXASBULL

And besides the book of Acts is an inspired historical narrative, Corinthians is direct instruction from God, through Paul to the Church and it clearly implies that not every Christian speaks with tongues and neither are they expected to any more than every Christian is an apostle.

Don't open that can of worms.....:run:

[SIZE=-1]Mark 16:15-17[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] He [Jesus] said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]speak in new tongues[/SIZE][SIZE=-1].[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]It says here that " Believers" speak in tongues. Not just apostles and not just for a limited time. Tongues are a sign that you are a believer in Jesus. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Acts 10:44-47[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]For[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] they heard them [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]speaking in tongues[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] and praising God. Then Peter said, “Can anyone keep these people from being baptized with water? They have [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]received the Holy Spirit just as we have[/SIZE][SIZE=-1].”

Again, a sign that someone had "received " the holy spirit is that they heard them start speaking in tongues and praising God

[/SIZE]​

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.......1st Corinthians 13 v 8: tongues will cease

Paul says at 1st Cor 12 vs 30,31 that there is a more excellent way or surpassing way over tongues, then Paul goes on to list that excellent surpassing way as the Christ-like love mentioned at verses 4-8.

TEXASBULL

lets have a look.

27Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31But eagerly desire[e] the greater gifts.

Here Paul talks about the gift of tongues ( tongues with interpretation ) or prophesy. This is a spiritual gift that not everyone has.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

In this verse Paul is talking about when we get to heaven. Why would he say knowledge will cease? Has knowledge ceased today? If tongues ceased and prophesy ceased, why not knowledge? He says our "reflection is poor", but when he gets to heaven he shall FULLY KNOW and he won't need to speak in tongues anymore, prophesy anymore, or have knowledge.

Then in the start of the very next chapter, this...

1 Corinthians 14

Gifts of Prophecy and Tongues

1Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. 2For anyone who speaks in a tongue[a] does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.[b] 3But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 4He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues,[c] but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues,[d] unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

He clearly states tongues is edifying yourself. Never just blab out tongues unless you have the interpretation. If you are praying in tongues , that's a different matter. that is why you will see in a spirit filled church. People "praying"in tongues and you will also see someone stand up and " give a tongue" and then follow with an interpretation.

I am not saying this is right or wrong, I am just giving the reason why they do it and I did it , but I no longer participate.

waitasec

Veteran Member

so who claims to be the interpreter?

1 cor 12:10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

TEXASBULL

1 cor 12:10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

Sometimes its the same person who gave the tongue. Sometimes it a different person in the congratulation.

Here is an link to an example. [youtube]odNyuqJjOac[/youtube]
YouTube - Holy Spirit Speaks 0002

TEXASBULL

all i can say is;
WOW!!! :facepalm:

To you it may be "wow", but Millions of people do it. The largest church in America ( Lakewood) and most of the non-denominational preachers ( td jakes,Osteen, Copeland, Joyce Myers, etc). Not just in America , but world wide.

Not to mention all of the largest christian TV networks. ( TBN , Daystar, ETC.)

Even Large christian university's ( Oral Roberts )

Its not just back woods churches with 20 people in them.....

It still may not make it " right " , but they have scriptural back up and that's how they interpret it:shrug:

waitasec

Veteran Member
To you it may be "wow", but Millions of people do it. The largest church in America ( Lakewood) and most of the non-denominational preachers ( td jakes,Osteen, Copeland, Joyce Myers, etc). Not just in America , but world wide.

Not to mention all of the largest christian TV networks. ( TBN , Daystar, ETC.)

Even Large christian university's ( Oral Roberts )

Its not just back woods churches with 20 people in them.....

It still may not make it " right " , but they have scriptural back up and that's how they interpret it:shrug:

as an x-christian myself
i was exposed to this...i even participated....
it's like being sucked into this vacuum, where everyone around you is going through this really emotional ride, and i wanted to be a part of this extraordinary experience everyone else seemed to be going through
i wanted it, i wanted to be in the presence of god, the holy spirit
and i dove right in...
and belly flopped :rolleyes:

TEXASBULL

as an x-christian myself
i was exposed to this...i even participated....
it's like being sucked into this vacuum, where everyone around you is going through this really emotional ride, and i wanted to be a part of this extraordinary experience everyone else seemed to be going through
i wanted it, i wanted to be in the presence of god, the holy spirit
and i dove right in...
and belly flopped :rolleyes:

You and me both brother! I did this for 15 years straight. From 21 year old to 36. As I got older , I got wiser and had the courage to question. Its hard to do , but there are a few of us who do it.

logician

The "speaking in tongues" by modern churches has nothing to do with scripture, I'm not sure where this tradtion sprouted from.

TEXASBULL

The "speaking in tongues" by modern churches has nothing to do with scripture, I'm not sure where this tradtion sprouted from.

If you read the "Scriptures" I posted you will see that it does.

If you Google " azusa street revival" You will see William J. Seymour started this again in 1906. its been Over 100 years plus since and more people speak in tongues than ever before. This virus is catchy. :p

waitasec

Veteran Member
If you read the "Scriptures" I posted you will see that it does.

If you Google " azusa street revival" You will see William J. Seymour started this again in 1906. its been Over 100 years plus since and more people speak in tongues than ever before. This virus is catchy. :p

hey if it's in the bible....it must be true.
slavery, the slaughter of innocent children, abortion, rape, human sacrifice were accepted and commanded by god
just don't eat shell fish because that is a true abomination...
:sarcastic

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
[SIZE=-1]
[SIZE=-1]Mark 16:15-17[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] He [Jesus] said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]speak in new tongues[/SIZE][SIZE=-1].[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]It says here that " Believers" speak in tongues. Not just apostles and not just for a limited time. Tongues are a sign that you are a believer in Jesus. [/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

It does not say every believer will speak with tongues if you take the whole counsel of the new testament it is clear they not all do speak with tongues and neither are they expected to. Your interpretation makes Paul and Jesus contradict one another, Paul clearly implies in Corinthians that not all speak with tongues.

B.T.W just so you know my point of view I am not a cessationist I simply believe that the Holy Spirit would act in line with the Word He inspired.

[SIZE=-1]
[SIZE=-1]Acts 10:44-47[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]For[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] they heard them [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]speaking in tongues[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] and praising God. Then Peter said, “Can anyone keep these people from being baptized with water? They have [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]received the Holy Spirit just as we have[/SIZE][SIZE=-1].”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Again, a sign that someone had "received " the holy spirit is that they heard them start speaking in tongues and praising God[/SIZE]

This does not make it a pre-condition of proof of someone receiving the gift of the Spirit, it just so happened at that recorded incident. You do realise that it is not only Christians that speak with tongues don't you? Witches have been known to also.[/SIZE]

*Paul*

Jesus loves you

If a the Spirit moves a man to speak in tongues in a meeting of the church He will also move one to interpret as He wills and the others will judge if it is from God.

The teaching is so clear.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Here Pauls uses the example of the human body to show that we are all useful for different reasons to the Church:

1st Corinthians 12:27-28 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

In this verse it gives a diversity, some are different from others. Some are apostles, some are prophets, some are teachers, some speak with tongues. Clearly not everyone has all of these gifts from God but we are each endowed to complement one another and work as a fully functioning body, each part working together with the other.

The foot does not try to speak, the tongue does not try to pro-create, the fingers do not try to pump blood and so on.

Then Paul makes his point even clearer:

1st Corinthians 12:29-30 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Why not answer these questions as if they are directed at you?

Are all Apostles? No, i'm certainly not
Are all prophets? No way, not every Christian is a prophet.
Are all teachers? Not at all.
Are all workers of miracles? No sir.
Have all the gifts of healing? No again (I think there may be a pattern developing here)
Do all speak with tongues? Obviously not
Do all interpret? No

Another clear implication:

1st Corinthians 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Paul would like it if they all could speak with tongues, even better if they call all prophesy. So clearly they didn't all do so.

The biblical way of doing things:

1st Corinthians 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 1st Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.