• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking in tongues

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
Exactly, this was the Apostle Paul's point.

1st Corinthians 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

Yes, but the point from my perspective is, I don't think you're any *less* mad if you do it Paul's way, and have one person at a time speak in tongues while some silver-tongue "interprets" the message from god. Then it's a different kind of collaborative madness, possibly more frightening for its semblance to rationality. :areyoucra

TEXASBULL

Exactly, this was the Apostle Paul's point.

1st Corinthians 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

That is why you do not have tongues without interpretation unless you are praying in the spirit

What about when Paul laid hands on you?
acts 19

6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Did they all start speaking German? or did they start praying in a heavenly language that no man understands?

Last edited:

Beaudreaux

TEXASBULL said:
That is why you do not have tongues without interpretation unless you are praying in the spirit

acts 19

6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Did they all start speaking German? or did they start praying in a heavenly language that no man understands?
I believe the Bible says that they went and preached to a mass of people who spoke different languages and each person heard then preaching in their own language.

TEXASBULL

I believe the Bible says that they went and preached to a mass of people who spoke different languages and each person heard then preaching in their own language.

nope, I think your thinking of Acts 2. I quoted Acts 19

Acts 19

1And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
7And all the men were about twelve.
8And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God.

javajo

They've made hours of tapes of this, no foreign or 'heavenly' languages, just gibberish. People just stringing together nonsensical syllables, its not hard to do, or for some to convince themselves they are really speaking in tongues as they did in the Bible. Its people looking for some kind of emotional experience, many of them travel to alot of diferrent services to try to get the next 'high'. Jesus should be the main focus. If someone is filled with the Spirit, in the Bible and throughout history, the Spirit always leads people to witness about Jesus so people get saved.

sallywags

Im a new christion and pray this way sometimes at night before falling asleep. Its better then my sleeping tablets which I flushed down the toilet months ago!I dont understand what im saying, but it works for me.Im finding being a christion so hard,I thought it would be easy...some days I feel iv lost the plot compleatly. But im sticking at it, and if anyone can give me any advice on overcoming doubts and bad thoughts I get please? thank you.

javajo

I'd pray with my mind engaged, about real, specific things, and avoid the "vain repetitions of the heathen". Christian meditation and prayer should be with mind engaged, not to trance out. Pray for everyone, about everything concerning you and loved ones, it will help them more than 'tongues'. Just my thot.

TEXASBULL

They've made hours of tapes of this, no foreign or 'heavenly' languages, just gibberish. People just stringing together nonsensical syllables, its not hard to do, or for some to convince themselves they are really speaking in tongues as they did in the Bible. Its people looking for some kind of emotional experience, many of them travel to alot of diferrent services to try to get the next 'high'. Jesus should be the main focus. If someone is filled with the Spirit, in the Bible and throughout history, the Spirit always leads people to witness about Jesus so people get saved.

EVERY time you see someone "filled with the Spirit " in the bible, speaking in tongues followed.

I'd pray with my mind engaged, about real, specific things, and avoid the "vain repetitions of the heathen". Christian meditation and prayer should be with mind engaged, not to trance out. Pray for everyone, about everything concerning you and loved ones, it will help them more than 'tongues'. Just my thot.

Why pray at all.... A huge study was recently done in regards to faith healing and showed it was absolute bs. Prayer doesn't do anything except give people false hope, and that seems really unethical to me because it is misleading.

Prayer absolutely will not help anyone anymore than speaking tongues will.

TEXASBULL

Wasn't Jesus 'filled with God's spirit'? Yet, Jesus did not speak in tongues.

after the resurrection of course. Thats when Jesus promised " out of your belly shall flow rivers of living water" and he would send the holy ghost. Then in Acts 2 it appeared. Then tongues followed from that day on.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you

acts 19

Why bother guessing if it doesn't say?

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Im a new christion and pray this way sometimes at night before falling asleep. Its better then my sleeping tablets which I flushed down the toilet months ago!I dont understand what im saying, but it works for me.Im finding being a christion so hard,I thought it would be easy...some days I feel iv lost the plot compleatly. But im sticking at it, and if anyone can give me any advice on overcoming doubts and bad thoughts I get please? thank you.

My best advice would be to pour your heart out the the Lord in words that you can understand, read the bible and get regular fellowship. Doubts can come early on but I found a regular reading of my bible seemed to answer the questions I had for me.

Bad thoughts can be a life long battle between your old and new anture, they are at conflict one with another, it does get easier, don't give up.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Some Christians believe that speaking in tongues is evidence of baptism in the Holy Spirit.

i could speak in tongues right now and make up my own language... it is quite a silly notion that someone can become filled with "god's spirit" which was born "spiritually dead"
lets face it, those that dare to pretend to be speaking in tongues, have no dignity and those that have dignity don't...:rolleyes:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
after the resurrection of course. Thats when Jesus promised " out of your belly shall flow rivers of living water" and he would send the holy ghost. Then in Acts 2 it appeared. Then tongues followed from that day on.

Doesn't 1st Cor. 13v8 say: 'tongues will cease' ?

Once the first-century Christian congregation was established there was no need for an instant change to another's mother tongue to teach the good news of God's kingdom in the hands of Christ Jesus.
What does Acts [2v6,11] say about the purpose of tongues?

Where does it say out of your belly will flow living water?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Prayer absolutely will not help anyone anymore than speaking tongues will.

The 'tongues' of Acts chapter two is that at that occasion people were able to speak to other people of a different language, or another's mother tongue, without having to take language lessons. They were gifted with the ability to clearly speak to another in their own language or mother tongue in order for them to teach the others about the good news of God's kingdom in the hands of Jesus Christ.

Now is the time for spiritual healing. Physical healing is during Jesus 1000-year reign over earth when Jesus ushers in Peace on Earth toward men of goodwill starting with the living sheep-like ones of Matthew 25v32 who will have the prospect of never having to die, but gain the prospect of having everlasting life in view right here on a paradisaic earth.

TEXASBULL

King James Bible
He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water

Cor. 13v8 say: 'tongues will cease' ?

Yes when Christ comes back for the Church and we " know all things"

TEXASBULL

Why bother guessing if it doesn't say?

Why not? People guess all the time and draw conclusions.

I am just pointing out in that scenario it is HIGHLY unlikely they need to all of a sudden start speaking in another language. They could have been speaking in " the tongue that no man understands" only heaven.

Paul said 1 Corinthians 14:18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you

Druswid

Speaking in tongues is ridiculous, I mean, it's really, really silly. All you have to do to speak in tongues is make up some nonsense gibberish and spew it out as fast as you can, all in the name of God/Jesus, and hey, you're speaking in tongues! But if you did it aside from as a religious activity, people would call you nuts. Then again...

TEXASBULL

Speaking in tongues is ridiculous, I mean, it's really, really silly. All you have to do to speak in tongues is make up some nonsense gibberish and spew it out as fast as you can, all in the name of God/Jesus, and hey, you're speaking in tongues! But if you did it aside from as a religious activity, people would call you nuts. Then again...

One mans " ridiculous and Nuts" is another mans " revelation and Bliss".

Take all religions for example. The concept of God is about the nuts as you can get. Why not have tongues to go with it. :beach: