• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking in tongues

blackout

Violet.
Surely with all of our modern technology
there must be electronic translation devices.

Or at least software that could
recognize/match sound wave patterns
TO A LANGUAGE.
A language identifier of sorts.

Record lots of it.
Then send it to an impartial translator.

An unintelligable medium is of little use.

gnostic

The Lost One
When I first read the Acts of the Apostles, and read about Speaking in Tongues, I had supposedly assumed that the disciples could speak foreign languages or dialects of that time, other than their native tongues, so the disciples could go to another country in his mission.

Then I have seen (several years back) interviews and documentary clips of Christians claiming that they speak in tongues. And now I understand that Speaking in Tongues is just nonsense. They were just talking gibberish. They were just making senseless noises as well as making a complete fools of themselves. It could only happen in backward American Pentecostal parish(es).

If speaking gibberish is a miracle, then I am afraid these Christian teachings and these people are completely deluded.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Then I have seen (several years back) interviews and documentary clips of Christians claiming that they speak in tongues. And now I understand that Speaking in Tongues is just nonsense.
Your first definition was correct.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yeah Right! All True Christians can speak in tongues. This certainly is a litmus test!
"When you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with B.S."
You're of the Way! Not Christian! So, Ron you can't speak in tongues! HOG WASH!

I think you are the first person of the Way on her that is if you are referring to The Way Intenational.

I was invited to a Way meeting once and was astonished to find that the group expected all of its members to speak in tongues whether they could or not. I have to admit the ones that couldn't made a valiant effort.

I was talking to one of the members and later noted that a laeder collared him and was talking to him about something. That person did not speak to me after that. I suspect that the leader considered my views heretical.

I think the Way is a Christian group of some kind but I suspect that many of the teachings don't match up with the BIble.

I also believe that there were members of the group speaking in tongues. God does give His gifts freely doesn't He?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Of course, I didn't mean she was speaking an actual alien language...my point was that when the brain is in certain states, people can speak in something that sounds like another language. Speaking in tongues can easily be tested by recording the session and having it analyzed by linguists, but few are willing to have any recordings analyzed (I wonder why :D )

Hypnotism works on the sub-conscious level which means that the persons spirit is in charge. It is conceivable that the perso had a lfetime in an alien world and was simply recalling the language of that world. I know that I lived with the blue skinned people in one of my lifetimes.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I agree with Scott. According to those verses, it seems very clear what tongues is supposed to be used for. Do the protestants ignore those few Bible verses? I don't see how it could be interpreted any differently...

I believe you are under a misapprehension. THe Bible does not consist of a few verses in Acts.

Yes.I can intepret it diffeently because I can be objective which is something that I find is lacking in those who see it otherwise.

All the arguments that I have seen against the speking in tongues appear to be specious at best. Certainly no-one has offered what I would consider valid proof.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
I know that I lived with the blue skinned people in one of my lifetimes.
And did you know this before December 2009? :D

It is conceivable that the perso had a lfetime in an alien world and was simply recalling the language of that world
It is, but it is far more conceivable that they are simply speaking gibberish.

Beaudreaux

Some Christians believe that speaking in tongues is evidence of baptism in the Holy Spirit. I'm interested in knowing what everyones opinion is on this. I have a few questions. (I might come up with more questions later...)

1. Do you believe it's a sign of baptism in the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?
I am an atheist, so no.
2. Is it a real language (or languages)?
I do not believe that there has been a single confirmed account of someone speaking in tongues in a legitimate language they did not already know. Everyone I have heard do it (and I've heard a few) is just speaking gibberish.
3. Do other religions speak in tongues?
Probably, but I don't know for sure.
4. What other explanations are there for it?
People think they're supposed to do it, so they do it.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well I've never witnessed this, but I did see something interesting in the first few days of college.

There was this hypnotist who came and hypnotized a bunch of the freshmen in the audience. He told this one girl that when she woke up, she would be an alien speaking another language. She started babbling words that really did sound like some alien language...I was pretty amazed, as was the audience.

Aliens aren't all that interesting. Sure, sure, they have fancy hyperdrives for interstellar travel
& powerful minds, but mostly they just talk about probing the orifices of lesser life forms.

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
Some Christians believe that speaking in tongues is evidence of baptism in the Holy Spirit. I'm interested in knowing what everyones opinion is on this. I have a few questions. (I might come up with more questions later...)

I will be convinced that a Christian is speaking in tongues if that person has had no experience speaking in that language and a fluent speaker of that language reports that the worshipper actually spoke well in that language. I would also wish that a recording be made of what the worshipper said.

Wannabe Yogi

I will be convinced that a Christian is speaking in tongues if that person has had no experience speaking in that language and a fluent speaker of that language reports that the worshipper actually spoke well in that language. I would also wish that a recording be made of what the worshipper said.

Years ago when I was Christian I read a study of tongues that was done by some linguist. They come to the conclusion that tongues were not real languages.

Last edited:

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
Years ago when I was Christian I read a study of tongues that was done by some linguist. They come to the conclusion that tongues were not real languages.

That does not surprise me at one. Christians might then argue that the worshipers were speaking alien languages, or tongues from outer space. However pathetic, that might be their best argument.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin

No, it isn't. My mother, who worked for a few years in mental healthcare, met many people who randomly yammered nonsense but never held any religious belief.

No. Speaking in tongues is a random collection of syllables that are often common in the native language of the speaker.

I have heard of some, yes.

A state of hysteria.

gnostic

The Lost One
I don't think these claims of Speaking in Tongues helped the church, or even the entire Christianity, in any way. Speaking in these so-called "Tongues" language, which is not a language, showed that these Christians (those ones who make such claims) are either delusional or just plain deceitful. If it was real languages that they could speak than that would be different and I would be amaze.

Either way, I don't think much of these Speaking-in-tongues Christians. I would either give them wide berth if I come across them. I certainly wouldn't convert or baptize to the Pentecostal sect or any other sect that make such claims.

Would any of you convert to Christianity because of these claims of Speaking in Tongues.

EverChanging

I was involved in Pentecostalism as a child by relatives before I was able to defend myself. All of my exposure to it has been extremely awful and terrifically abusive and manipulative, including "tongues" speaking.

I don't have a traditional view on the Holy Spirit, but no, I don't believe tongues-speaking is a sign of anything special or divine. I think that it is often the result of extremely intense emotion, a type of release. From what I saw being exposed to different Pentecostals and congregations over a period of years, they seem to stutter a lot, to the point that most of them are only babbling syllables like "shalalalalalala," not anything like a coherent language. Also, different congregations have different "words" or syllables or even dialects that are common for that group, as if they are collectively creating some type of pseudo-language. Some people are more capable of making it sound like a genuine language perhaps to unskilled ears, but I suspect a language analyst could detect the difference.

In light of the above experiences, no, I'm not convinced anything I ever heard was a real language and especially not the incoherent syllables I let out under intense pressure to receive this "gift." I've heard accounts of people speaking in tongues and someone there understanding the language, but these are all anecdotal. Also, it is not uncommon for our minds to play tricks on us, for instance, constructing singing or speech out of the sounds of a fan or other background noise. In a room full of people rambling away in a pseudo-language, or even just one person, it doesn't seem unlikely that the brain's tendency to look for and even create patterns could make someone mistake babbling for a real language. And this doesn't even take into account all of the techniques Pentecostal churches use to dramatically alter a person's emotions and induce hysterical fits. In such a climate, angels and demons are around every corner. I've seen people in these churches pull people out of wheelchairs, hold them up by the hands, snap pictures, return the person to their wheelchair and claim they were miraculously healed. I am not at all willing to accept any miracle stories as true from people in such an irrational, emotional state, including stories of tongues-speaking being verified as a real language.

Possession and similar (if not identical) states occur in voodoo religions. The trance states are not in my eyes distinguishable from what I've seen in Pentecostal churches. I'm not sure if tongues-speaking occurs in Voodoo, but I've read that it existed in various pre-Christian religions.

See above.

Smoke

Done here.
1. Do you believe it's a sign of baptism in the Holy Spirit?
No.

Why or why not?
The Holy Spirit doesn't exist. If he did exist, it would be a damned silly way to make himself known.

No.

Yes. It occurs occasionally in Voudou, Hinduism, and some pagan groups.

In most cases it's just learned behavior.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Of course, I didn't mean she was speaking an actual alien language...my point was that when the brain is in certain states, people can speak in something that sounds like another language. Speaking in tongues can easily be tested by recording the session and having it analyzed by linguists, but few are willing to have any recordings analyzed (I wonder why :D )
Bing noorzle goop. I have the gift of typing in tongues.:p

blackout

Violet.
I am not a "disbeliever" (or believer) of stuff
as a rule of thumb,

but,
I personally would need proof
that non speakers of languages
are in fact speaking those languages with fluency.
Also, I want to know WHAT exactly they are saying.

As well, I would like to see case studies
of DIFFERING "religions" / peoples.
(in order to actually "believe" people
are speaking more than Self Created Spells.
Which are fine in their OWN right/rite.)

It IS actually something proveable.
So why not?