• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking in tongues....

kaoticprofit

Jesus said every believer. Paul wrote what Jesus said. 1 Corinthians 14:22 'Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.' ; Tongues is not for you to understand but for God. ; 1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.' Every true believer spoke in tongues when they received the Holy Ghost.

If when one speaks in an unknown tongue, where only God understands what the speaker said, then how can tongues be a sign to unbelievers since the scripture says the speaker, "speaketh not unto men, but unto God?" And how can the congregation be edified if those who heard the unknown 'tongue' didn't understand it since it wasn't meant for man anyway?

I almost became a minister in a Pentecostal church in the early 70's. Thank God I didn't. TONGUES and the TRINITY were the two main reasons I didn't.

I found that Pentecostals make the scriptures say what it takes to support Pentecostalism. Here Cog is saying every TRUE believer spoke in tongues at Pentecost. NOT TRUE and 1 Cor 12 debunks that idea...

Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Many pentecostal sects claim that the evidence of recieving the holy ghost is speaking in tongues (glossalialia) and this tradition is passed to every believer who recieves this gift.
Where in the scripture does it tell us every.person who recieves the holy.ghost must speak.in this heavenly language???

It isn't that every person "must" speak in tongues... I don't believe there is a scripture that supports that. However, one has the benefit of speaking in tongues. It isn't a salvation requirement. Even in Samaria people received salvation and yet didn't speak in tongues and prophecy until later.

It's an opportunity that has its benefits just as the gifts of the Spirit has its benefits. One doesn't "have" to use the gifts of the Spirit, but it is still beneficial to those who choose to.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I
If when one speaks in an unknown tongue, where only God understands what the speaker said, then how can tongues be a sign to unbelievers since the scripture says the speaker, "speaketh not unto men, but unto God?" And how can the congregation be edified if those who heard the unknown 'tongue' didn't understand it since it wasn't meant for man anyway?

I almost became a minister in a Pentecostal church in the early 70's. Thank God I didn't. TONGUES and the TRINITY were the two main reasons I didn't.

I found that Pentecostals make the scriptures say what it takes to support Pentecostalism. Here Cog is saying every TRUE believer spoke in tongues at Pentecost. NOT TRUE and 1 Cor 12 debunks that idea...

Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
I wouldn't agree with your interpretation because it says "to another faith by the same Spirit;" - as if to say some don't have faith when in another place it says in Romans 12:3b as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.

Not contradictory but rather two different gifts. The gift of faith is when the Holy Spirit adds extra capacity as He wills for special occasions (like raising the dead) under His ability - the measure of faith, which we all have, is the faith we use under our authority.

The gift of "divers kinds of tongues" is a gift operated by the Holy Spirit as He will which requires interpretation as it is God speaking to the Church. The sign of speaking in tongues operated by our faith is when we pray to God and He knows what we are praying which does not require an interpretation though you may pray for it.