• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking in Tongues...Do You?

Master Vigil

From my many experiences with the spirits and the spirit world, I have seen many fantastical things. And many I have come to realize are just manifestations of psychological intensity. I have also seen many speaking in toungues, in whcih (I believe) is one of them. I don't believe it is a "gift from god" nor do I believe the jibberish has any prophetic meaning.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
dawny0826 said:
The Pentecostals believe that the true sign that you are saved is when you speak in tongues.
This is my biggest problem with most who claim to speak in tongues: they are looking for an outward sign instead of an inward one!

The first time the disciples spoke in tongues was to address a need. There were a TON of nationalities in Jerusalem at the time, and the disciples needed to communicate to them ALL. Everyone there heard the Gospel in their own language. I am sure that if I was in a place that warranted it, God would have me speak in a tongue.

Dawny, tongues is just another word for languages. The apostles most likely spoke hebrew, greek, latin, aramaic, and like languages of the region. The main point of the accounts is the listeners all heard their native language. Personally, I dont believe in speaking in tongues or other miracles today. We have the writings of the apostles and have no need for further proofs.
So, what languages do you speak?

Aqualung

Tasty
Popeyesays said:
To the best of my Biblical study, the purpose of "speaking in tongues" was to be understood by audiences who did not necessarily understand your language. In other words, it was for the purpose of communicating without let or hindrance to anyone within earshot.

The modern evangelical practice of tongues is exactly opposite. It is to put an interpreter between the speaker and the hearer. To put into mystic code, so that only the "believing" may understand. Compare that to speaking in tongues in the Gospels or the Book of Acts. The two things appear to be in direct opposition to me.

Regards,
Scott
:woohoo: Wonderful post!! You actually described the LDS pov of speaking in tongues with that one.

I frequently speak in tongues. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, in fact, in my spanish class.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I speak in broken tongues when practicing Chinese ;) Dang tonal languages!

On a serious note, I don't think the gibberish that emerges from the mouths of those that claim to be speaking tongues could qualify as anything other than just that.

TheGreaterGame

the great theologian, John Stott remarked (about tounges), "there are only three possiblities of those who speak in a strange tounge: its demonic, its psyco-sematic, or its from God."

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
TheGreaterGame said:
the great theologian, John Stott remarked (about tounges), "there are only three possiblities of those who speak in a strange tounge: its demonic, its psyco-sematic, or its from God."
How would you know the difference between the three?

SPLogan

Genesis 2:23
Then the man said,
"This at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called Woman,
because she was taken out of Man."

As far as I can tell, the above statement by Adam is the earliest human quote ever recorded.
Let's suppose, for illustration purposes, that they were in fact the first words ever spoken by a human. Let's further suppose that Eve heard those words. Obviously, she could not have determined what language it was.
Did Eve hear Adam "speaking in tongues?"

At some point in history, "speaking in tongues" must have been the only way to speak. It wasn't deceptive. It was the only way something could have been said if there were no known languages. Right?

If my point is valid, then all known languages are merely descendants of once mysterious "tongues," like the ones used in Pentecostal worship. No?

TheGreaterGame

Sunstone said:
How would you know the difference between the three?
Good question. I think one could know if it agreed in totality with scripture and it edified and made much of Jesus and brought praise and glory to God. Its been my experiance that a lot of people try to force this language to arise so that they make themselves into a prophet or something of the like . . . that may only be a few cases . . . but the point is does it glorify Christ and make much of God.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
Acctually this reminds me of a funny story.

When i was in primary school, i had decided for some reason i was going to freak some kids out my speaking "latin", pretty much just making up words.

At the time i was JW and so was one of the kids, it freaked him out, i think the fact it was the first time someone noticed that my eyes change colour, his mother was a complete loon (which is probably part of the reason he freaked out) and had him transfered schools.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Searcher of Light said:
Dawny, tongues is just another word for languages. The apostles most likely spoke hebrew, greek, latin, aramaic, and like languages of the region. The main point of the accounts is the listeners all heard their native language. Personally, I dont believe in speaking in tongues or other miracles today. We have the writings of the apostles and have no need for further proofs.
So, what languages do you speak?
Ya don't say. My French is adorable.:D

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Pardus said:

When i was in primary school, i had decided for some reason i was going to freak some kids out my speaking "latin", pretty much just making up words.

At the time i was JW and so was one of the kids, it freaked him out, i think the fact it was the first time someone noticed that my eyes change colour, his mother was a complete loon (which is probably part of the reason he freaked out) and had him transfered schools.
LOL! That's funny...

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Master Vigil said:
From my many experiences with the spirits and the spirit world, I have seen many fantastical things. And many I have come to realize are just manifestations of psychological intensity. I have also seen many speaking in toungues, in whcih (I believe) is one of them. I don't believe it is a "gift from god" nor do I believe the jibberish has any prophetic meaning.
I'm not prophetic. It's for self edification...done in the privacy of my own home. And as I've stated...I'm not the least bit surprised that I'm a minority on this one.

Smoke

Done here.
dawny0826 said:
It's for self edification...done in the privacy of my own home.
What's the nature of the edification you receive? What are the specific benefits to you of speaking in tongues?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
dawny0826 said:
Prophecy in Tongues...Taken from the New King James Version of the Bible

1 Corinthians 14:1-5

"Pursue love and desire spiritual gifts but especially that you may prophesy. For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself but he who prophesies edifies the church. I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied: for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification."
the two bits of the verse i have highlighted are bits that i disagree with, the first part: for he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to GOD" - surely we do this through prayer, so speaking in tongues is not needed

the second part: for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues" - i believe that we are all equal, i believe God will judge our hearts, not how many times in one life time we were able to say things that seems prophetic

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I speak in tongues...........:D

Whenever I need to 'gee myself up' or if I am in pain, I go round singing made up words to songs; my kids just say "Oh, he's defragmenting his brain again"..........

Actually, as I have been doing this for years, there is a pattern of recognisable words.......if only I knew what they meant!:rolleyes:

FFH

Veteran Member
Dawny your posts have brought great comfort and peace to me. I feel your peace, happiness and joy that you have of life. You have caused a good feeling or spirit to well up inside of me. I am sure this is what speaking in tongues feels like. It brings peace to your soul and your mind. You are truely praising God and Jesus Christ and they are filling you with their holiness. I am very much aware of exactly what you are trying to convey, but have never experience it myself. I am glad that you pointed out that it is for your own edification. I know that this is true. It seems there are so few that have experienced this, and it is a shame. I have felt the Holy Ghost come over me several times but have never gotten to the point of speaking in tongues. I want to hear more about your experiences with this, and also what gets you to the point of speaking in tongues, or a heavenly language. It must be a lot of prayer. I am sure we will all eventually speak in this heavenly language when we are face to face with God and Jesus Christ. I think that speaking in tongues is a way in which we praise God for what he has done, and in return He fills us with His spirit and His love.

I watch Trinity Broadcasting Network and my ears start to perk up when someone starts speaking in tongues. You can't fake it. The person then begins to teach by the Holy Ghost the truth of all things, and things to come. Prophecy, healing and great teachings directly from God seem to follow or surround those that speak in tongues. They speak a bit in tongues then in English to translate what they are feeling and experiencing. It always give me peace and hope the God of this universe has not forgotten or forsaken us, but is very near. I guess you could consider me a born again Mormon. I have listened to Charismatic Christians for years on TBN. They keep me thinking positive about things. I am a great admirer of Paula White and Kim Clement as well as many others like Rod Parsley and the rest of the gang on TBN. I admire them all for their Charisma.

I would like to hear more about your experiences with speaking in tongues, if you feel inclined to do so, although, It seems like a very sacred thing that you might not feel comfortable sharing in an open forum such as this one.

Yasin

dawny0826 said:
Hi!

What are your views on speaking in tongues?

I speak in tongues...frequently.

Just thought I'd ask. I have a strange notion that I may be in the minority on this one.:eek:

Peace to all...
Peace to you, dawny0826

I believe this is my first encounter with you. What/Who gave you the ability to speak in tongues? If the Holy Ghost, then how? Who did Jesus Christ (pbuh) say he will be?

Respectively, Yasin:bounce

Pardus said:

I tried speaking in tongues once....but my foot got in the way.