• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking in Tongues...Do You?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Hope said:
Never on your own, sister. :)

I was baptized in the Spirit earlier this year ( quickly becoming last year ), and received the gift of tongues. It totally floored me. I started a thread on tongues a while back, and had similar feedback from people.

You sound like an amazing person---I loved your testimony. Whereabouts in Virginia do you live? ( Sorry for the digression, but if I see a fellow Virginian I have to ask. )
Hi!

I live in Newport News. I've been here since birth. :D

And thanks for the nice words. :eek: (slowly turning a shade of lobster...) hee hee...

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
FFH said:
A simple formula for speaking in tongues might look something like this, from what you have said and from what I have learned:

Faith + Prayer + Praise = Speaking in Tongues

I am sure there are more things that I could add to this.

This takes a lot of humiltiy, and acceptance of Jesus Christ, and his sacrifice. All inhibitions would have to be put aside for sure, unless done in private. This must take tremendous faith and humility, qualities that most of us lack in some degree or level. This is why I greatly admire Charismatics. They are so open and honest and enthusiastic about being a Christians or followers of Christ, and seem to be completely uninhibited. They are not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and everything that goes along with it. Prophecies, healings, speaking in tongues, personal revelation, etc.
You yourself seem pretty much on fire in your faith. And I'll be frank...I attend a Pentecostal church but I don't consider myself a Pentecostal...I simply consider myself a Christian. I feel truly blessed that I've found a church home where people do worship so charismatically. God has really placed me in a church where the Holy Spirit is TRULY flowing and moving and it's just been awesome for my family. My four year old actually goes to their Academy. And I noticed a change in HER after the very first week. Their Chapels on Friday are PRECIOUS. There are seventh and eighth graders (this makes me so emotional just mentioning it) falling to their knees in prayer and praise on Fridays accepting the Lord Jesus as their personal saviour. It's been amazing...truly amazing.

This must take tremendous faith and humility

I'd like to think that I am faithful...but I truly feel that ANYONE who desires to speak in tongues can...simply by praying to the Lord for it.

I DO enjoy an uninhibited approach to worship.

How does the Church of the LDS approach worship? Out of curiousity...would it be off the wall for someone in a LDS church to do something such as speak in tongues?

benjosh

You said, How does the Church of the LDS approach worship? Out of curiousity...would it be off the wall for someone in a LDS church to do something such as speak in tongues?

I've got a funny true story to tell you.

Do you know who the Osmonds are?

benjosh

Well, anyway.
I used to live in Branson Missouri. ANd there are all kinds of music shows there. I was acqainted with many of the LDS who performed there.
I am a Book of Mormon believer, but I had never been in an LDS church service. And thought I should go.
The night before I went to a show and met the LDS family that owned their own theater and Hotel. This big family was three generations of performers. They could play everything from Bluegrass to Showtunes. They put on a great energetic show.
The next morning in church. One of the guys who had been dancing all over the stage, doing flips, singing, etc. was sitting right in front of me and one of the Osmonds beside me.
When they started the first hymn I couldn't believe it. The singing was like it was a funeral or something. The guy who was so animated the night before just blended in with everybody else. Dull, boring.
The next week I went to the Mesianic Jewish congregation next door.
But the people were great and the class session was good.

Benjosh

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
benjosh said:
Well, anyway.
I used to live in Branson Missouri. ANd there are all kinds of music shows there. I was acqainted with many of the LDS who performed there.
I am a Book of Mormon believer, but I had never been in an LDS church service. And thought I should go.
The night before I went to a show and met the LDS family that owned their own theater and Hotel. This big family was three generations of performers. They could play everything from Bluegrass to Showtunes. They put on a great energetic show.
The next morning in church. One of the guys who had been dancing all over the stage, doing flips, singing, etc. was sitting right in front of me and one of the Osmonds beside me.
When they started the first hymn I couldn't believe it. The singing was like it was a funeral or something. The guy who was so animated the night before just blended in with everybody else. Dull, boring.
The next week I went to the Mesianic Jewish congregation next door.
But the people were great and the class session was good.

Benjosh
:D

Well, maybe you caught him on a bad day.:eek:

I've never been to a LDS church service...

drekmed

interesting thread.

i believe i have had a few experiences with what you would call speaking in toungues.

i'll start off talking normal english, then somewhere when im talking, im no longer saying the words im thinking. something else comes out that nobody understands. it only lasts a few words, thats about the time i get stopped and asked what the hell i just said. i know what i was trying to say, and dont actually realize i was saying something else until someone tells me i did. i have no actual memory of saying words from another language or saying gibberish, and i always thought i was still speaking/saying english words, everyone else thought i was losing my mind.

pretty sure there was nothing spiritual behind the incidents, seeing as how i wasn't really thinking anything important or deep, and didn't feel a presence of any kind.
i think i just got a few wires loose upstairs, and every now and then they touch and short out.

maybe im way off, and this aint what ya'll are refering to saying "speaking in tongues"

Drekmed

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
(yoot, what is a yoot?) B.
That's what we call a pickup in Australia, but you spell it 'ute'.:D
As for speaking in tongues, it's amazing what your brain will do given enough encouragement.

FFH

Veteran Member
dawny0826 said:
This must take tremendous faith and humility

I'd like to think that I am faithful...but I truly feel that ANYONE who desires to speak in tongues can...simply by praying to the Lord for it.

I DO enjoy an uninhibited approach to worship.

How does the Church of the LDS approach worship? Out of curiousity...would it be off the wall for someone in a LDS church to do something such as speak in tongues?
It is funny that Benjosh should post when he did. LDS people are enthusiastic when it comes to the other days of the week, then when we attend worship services we are very subdued and reverent. Shouting or praising God or speaking in tongues would be considered out of the ordinary in an LDS meeting. There is one meeting, however, that is held once a month called fast and testimony meeting. The members fast for 24 hours and during this fast a testimony meeting is held, on Sunday, and we stand before the congregation and give our testimonies and experiences on various subjects. Lots of good faith building stories and experiences are told at this meeting, similar to the ones you have shared. These meetings can get emotional at times. No speaking in tongues though.

I have not actually been to a Pentacostal worship service before, but have watched TBN (www.TBN.org) for years and have observed many types and styles of worship. LDS worship services would be considered very reverent and subdued, with the exception of fast and testimony meeting. When you fast and pray things come out of you that you normally would not say. The spirit wells up inside of you and you want to tell all that God has done for you. This is as close to speaking in tongues that an LDS service gets. I have, however, seen an 8 year old get up and prophesy. He was very slow of speach and not quite as fast, or as refined, as the other kids. He was a bit challenged, and had to work harder than the other kids, at some things. He got up one fast and testimony meeting and said some very profound things. My jawed dropped. The congregation was silent. He said the church was a flower and was getting ready to bloom as a rose. This was just a year or two ago. He spoke to me so loudly. This little challenged eight year old with a speech impediment said things that were out of the ordinary. I can't remember the other things he said, I think a lot of it went over most people's heads. I know that God was speaking directly through him. You had to be there and had to know this kid. I had taught him in Sunday school. It was way out of the ordinary. I guess God couldn't find anyone other than him to say what he wanted to say. A prophetic 8 year old. This is as out of the ordinary as it gets.

It has always intrigued me that the Lord would have one church speak in toungues and shout or dance and another church would not. The enthusiasm of the Charismatics keeps me going. They inspire me for some reason. I have TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network) on quite a bit. I am a very subdued and quiet person and it seems to help break me out of my thick quiet shell. It gives me joy. I love watching TBN and all the different preachers. They inspire me. It picks me up. Speaking in tongues seems to proceed or accompany great healings, teachings and prophecies from God, when I watch TBN. I accept revelation from God in many forms. I am deeply rooted in my faith, but do not discount revelations from other great men and women of God. We are all on the same team. We are all children of God and He will speak through whomever he wants. This is the way I look at it.

I have had many experiences that have built my faith to a tremendous level. It would be too off topic to talk about them here. They would seem strange to most people. Crazy miracles and other stuff that might seem unreal, or impossible, to most people. I have had some very unusual experiences, throughout my life, and a few of them, very recently. God helps me in spite of myself.

It seems like speaking in tongues happens when praying for someone else in the spirit. I know you have said that speaking in tongues happens when praying for yourself, as well, or when trying to get an answer to something, or just for self edification. This is a dimension of speaking in tongues that I had not considered. Speaking in tongues for self edification. I know you said that all we have to do is ask but I guess it does not seem that easy to me because I have never tried it. I have never asked to speak in tongues. I will definitely give it a try. You are the first person that I have discussed this subject with that has actually experienced it. It would be consedered strange for an LDS person to talk about it. I belive in it very deeply though. If you said to an LDS person, "do you believe in speaking in tongues or the gift of tongues?" he would reply yes, but would be thinking of something entirely different. He or she would think you were speaking about God helping you to speak another foreign language very proficiently. I was a missionary in Japan for almost two years and I know that the Lord helped me speak the Japanese language. The Japanese would say that my pronunciation was very similar to the way they pronounced them. I felt like I sounded as they sounded. It was an awesome feeling. I still struggled with the language, though. I did not study the vocabulary as I should have. You have to do your part in learning the language and then God takes over from there. It is a partnership. I guess it is the same with speaking in tongues. Open your mouth and then God will take over from there.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
FFH said:
It is funny that Benjosh should post when he did. LDS people are enthusiastic when it comes to the other days of the week, then when we attend worship services we are very subdued and reverent. Shouting or praising God or speaking in tongues would be considered out of the ordinary in an LDS meeting. There is one meeting, however, that is held once a month called fast and testimony meeting. The members fast for 24 hours and during this fast a testimony meeting is held, on Sunday, and we stand before the congregation and give our testimonies and experiences on various subjects. Lots of good faith building stories and experiences are told at this meeting, similar to the ones you have shared. These meetings can get emotional at times. No speaking in tongues though.

I have not actually been to a Pentacostal worship service before, but have watched TBN (www.TBN.org) for years and have observed many types and styles of worship. LDS worship services would be considered very reverent and subdued, with the exception of fast and testimony meeting. When you fast and pray things come out of you that you normally would not say. The spirit wells up inside of you and you want to tell all that God has done for you. This is as close to speaking in tongues that an LDS service gets. I have, however, seen an 8 year old get up and prophesy. He was very slow of speach and not quite as fast, or as refined, as the other kids. He was a bit challenged, and had to work harder than the other kids, at some things. He got up one fast and testimony meeting and said some very profound things. My jawed dropped. The congregation was silent. He said the church was a flower and was getting ready to bloom as a rose. This was just a year or two ago. He spoke to me so loudly. This little challenged eight year old with a speech impediment said things that were out of the ordinary. I can't remember the other things he said, I think a lot of it went over most people's heads. I know that God was speaking directly through him. You had to be there and had to know this kid. I had taught him in Sunday school. It was way out of the ordinary. I guess God couldn't find anyone other than him to say what he wanted to say. A prophetic 8 year old. This is as out of the ordinary as it gets.

It has always intrigued me that the Lord would have one church speak in toungues and shout or dance and another church would not. The enthusiasm of the Charismatics keeps me going. They inspire me for some reason. I have TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network) on quite a bit. I am a very subdued and quiet person and it seems to help break me out of my thick quiet shell. It gives me joy. I love watching TBN and all the different preachers. They inspire me. It picks me up. Speaking in tongues seems to proceed or accompany great healings, teachings and prophecies from God, when I watch TBN. I accept revelation from God in many forms. I am deeply rooted in my faith, but do not discount revelations from other great men and women of God. We are all on the same team. We are all children of God and He will speak through whomever he wants. This is the way I look at it.

I have had many experiences that have built my faith to a tremendous level. It would be too off topic to talk about them here. They would seem strange to most people. Crazy miracles and other stuff that might seem unreal, or impossible, to most people. I have had some very unusual experiences, throughout my life, and a few of them, very recently. God helps me in spite of myself.

It seems like speaking in tongues happens when praying for someone else in the spirit. I know you have said that speaking in tongues happens when praying for yourself, as well, or when trying to get an answer to something, or just for self edification. This is a dimension of speaking in tongues that I had not considered. Speaking in tongues for self edification. I know you said that all we have to do is ask but I guess it does not seem that easy to me because I have never tried it. I have never asked to speak in tongues. I will definitely give it a try. You are the first person that I have discussed this subject with that has actually experienced it. It would be consedered strange for an LDS person to talk about it. I belive in it very deeply though. If you said to an LDS person, "do you believe in speaking in tongues or the gift of tongues?" he would reply yes, but would be thinking of something entirely different. He or she would think you were speaking about God helping you to speak another foreign language very proficiently. I was a missionary in Japan for almost two years and I know that the Lord helped me speak the Japanese language. The Japanese would say that my pronunciation was very similar to the way they pronounced them. I felt like I sounded as they sounded. It was an awesome feeling. I still struggled with the language, though. I did not study the vocabulary as I should have. You have to do your part in learning the language and then God takes over from there. It is a partnership. I guess it is the same with speaking in tongues. Open your mouth and then God will take over from there.
I think that you have an INCREDIBLE approach to faith and worship. I haven't always had the best understanding of the Church of LDS and here of late actually, have been more critical than I know I should be about a faith that I don't completely understand...and you've brought about such an excellent point that regardless of our approach to worship...we really ARE on the same side. You have a very fresh and admirable view on faith. I think I've learned a thing or two, actually, from your posts. So, thank you.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NetDoc said:
This is my biggest problem with most who claim to speak in tongues: they are looking for an outward sign instead of an inward one!

The first time the disciples spoke in tongues was to address a need. There were a TON of nationalities in Jerusalem at the time, and the disciples needed to communicate to them ALL. Everyone there heard the Gospel in their own language. I am sure that if I was in a place that warranted it, God would have me speak in a tongue.
I take it from that, you mean that you believe (as other posters have indicated) that speaking in tongues is merely speaking in a foreing language that the 'audience' speaks, in order that all might understand you ?

energize

Hi dawny

When you speak and no one hears (understands) you, what good does it do you or they? Who is the beneficiary? As grandma used to say, "are you just talking to hear your head roar?" :)

benjosh

dawny0826 said:
:D

Well, maybe you caught him on a bad day.:eek:

I've never been to a LDS church service...

Nope, weren't a bad day. I found out that was typical. It wasn't just him you understand. THese wre Mormon families who entertain professionally. NOne of the others were excited in worship. I could understand one with a bad day, but a dozen or so in a congregation of 150?

Oh, by the way.
I wasn't paying attention and replied to you in the Trinity thread as though you were LDS. Sorry, I used restorationist scriptures. :bonk:

Sorry :eek:

So if you think I am imposing don't read any further. Because I have an experience to share on speaking in tongues that is more than some folks can put up with. Though I don't think you are one. I don't know how much to share because I've had so many out of the ordinary experiences some people think I'm nuts. Well, at least no doctor has confirmed it, yet! (Just kidding)

But on the subject of speaking in tongues.

I was led to read the Book of Mormon through a message in tongues 30 years ago. I was in a Pentecostal church and played guitar on the worship team. After a teaching on the subject of God's light through the history of the different denominations; a woman spoke in tongues and the pastor interpreted.

I can still remember parts of it, word for word.
"Behold, I am pouring out a seven-fold spirit throughout the world to gather my people as one. Have I not told you that I have given you every place the soles of your feet touch. Praise me, for I will do it."

There was much more but that's all I remember right now.
The pastor then tied the message to what he had been teaching all morning. I had started with Luther's break from Catholicism, on to Calvinsim, Methodism, the Anabaptists etc. right down to Holy Ghost outpourings of Topeka and Azusa street.

He said what it translated to in very practical terms was that we were a congregation that was getting pretty proud of itself. We thought we had a whole lot more light than the Wesleyan church down the street, or the Baptists. This message, according to the pastor, was to lead us into more of the light of God because we were getting too smug.

He went on to say this, "Tomorrow when you return to work appraach anyone you work with who has professed Christ as Lord and ask them for the reason of their hope, ask them what they believe. You might learn something and grow from the experience.

The next day at work, the very first person I met was one who professed Christ as Lord. But another person I worked with, who attended the same church as me, and heard the same message in tongues, had prejudiced me against him previously. I had been forewarned of his wierd beliefs.

I ignored my friends prejudice and followed the pastor's direction.

I asked Dean what he believed. We only talked for a few moments and I liked what I was hearing because it was a personal testimony of Jesus Christ.
I thought he was a Mormon, but didn't know. So, I asked him. He said he wasn't, instead he was RLDS.

I asked him about the Book of Mormon and he said he didn't have time to talk anymore because we both had work to do.

He said, "Look, I go home for lunch, I've got an extra set of books you can borrow to read. "

I took the books home and starting reading them. There was no one coming around to tell me what they meant. I began reading them totally free of any church influence (Christian or LDS).

On Wednesday night we always had praise , prayer and testimony at our Pentecostal church. People were still abuzz about the message given the previous Sunday morning.

When I got up and testified that I acted on the word in tongues and followed the pastors advice, they thought that was good. When I told them it led me to reading the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants they all freaked out.

By the next Sunday you would have thought I was the devil himself.

People were invisioning Mormon elders coming over and indoctrinating me. Good friends were calling my wife while I was at work and trying to get her to make me stop reading the books.

One day, about three weeks into this scenario my wife confronted me in a very unkind manner.

She said, "Book of Mormon, Book of Mormon, that's all I hear about around here."

She said this because people at church were pressuring her to straighten me out. (They had to save me from the Mormon monsters) I was about to leave for work and I always took reading material because my job often required me driving and having to wait for several hours with nothing to do. I usually took the Bible.

I didn't get upset with her, I thought her comments were not right, but said to myself, "This is your wife, she might be seeing something about you that you can't see."

So, I left the Book of Mormon sitting by the kitchen door and took my Bible instead.

On the job that day I was at the Arizona State UNiversity agricultural farm with a busload of FHA members. There were about fifty buses there from all over the state and we all parked in one of their fields.

I got settled in my bus and was just starting to open the BIble when another bus driver knocked on my bus door.

I was sitting a couple of rows back in passenger seats when he stuck his head in and said, "Whatcha' doin'?"

I didn't have the best attitude and thought, "Oh boy, he probably wants to come in and offer me a cigarette and start cracking off color jokes."

So I figured I'd run him off right away.

"Well, I'm just getting ready to read my Bible.", I said.

He looked kind of dejected and said, "I thought you might be reading the Book of Mormon."

I had to make sure my ears were working right.

"What did you say?"

"Why aren't you reading the Book of Mormon?"

The man was a Native American. He came in and gave a testimony of his love for Jesus Christ and his gratitude that His visit to his ancestors was recorded and brought forth.

That and several other experiences in a short time convinced me of the truth of the book.

It all started with a message in tongues.

And by the way, one of the reasons many Christians didn't like Joseph Smith and the early latter day church was because they spoke in tongues.

BenJosh

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
benjosh said:
Nope, weren't a bad day. I found out that was typical. It wasn't just him you understand. THese wre Mormon families who entertain professionally. NOne of the others were excited in worship. I could understand one with a bad day, but a dozen or so in a congregation of 150?

Oh, by the way.
I wasn't paying attention and replied to you in the Trinity thread as though you were LDS. Sorry, I used restorationist scriptures. :bonk:

Sorry :eek:

So if you think I am imposing don't read any further. Because I have an experience to share on speaking in tongues that is more than some folks can put up with. Though I don't think you are one. I don't know how much to share because I've had so many out of the ordinary experiences some people think I'm nuts. Well, at least no doctor has confirmed it, yet! (Just kidding)

But on the subject of speaking in tongues.

I was led to read the Book of Mormon through a message in tongues 30 years ago. I was in a Pentecostal church and played guitar on the worship team. After a teaching on the subject of God's light through the history of the different denominations; a woman spoke in tongues and the pastor interpreted.

I can still remember parts of it, word for word.
"Behold, I am pouring out a seven-fold spirit throughout the world to gather my people as one. Have I not told you that I have given you every place the soles of your feet touch. Praise me, for I will do it."

There was much more but that's all I remember right now.
The pastor then tied the message to what he had been teaching all morning. I had started with Luther's break from Catholicism, on to Calvinsim, Methodism, the Anabaptists etc. right down to Holy Ghost outpourings of Topeka and Azusa street.

He said what it translated to in very practical terms was that we were a congregation that was getting pretty proud of itself. We thought we had a whole lot more light than the Wesleyan church down the street, or the Baptists. This message, according to the pastor, was to lead us into more of the light of God because we were getting too smug.

He went on to say this, "Tomorrow when you return to work appraach anyone you work with who has professed Christ as Lord and ask them for the reason of their hope, ask them what they believe. You might learn something and grow from the experience.

The next day at work, the very first person I met was one who professed Christ as Lord. But another person I worked with, who attended the same church as me, and heard the same message in tongues, had prejudiced me against him previously. I had been forewarned of his wierd beliefs.

I ignored my friends prejudice and followed the pastor's direction.

I asked Dean what he believed. We only talked for a few moments and I liked what I was hearing because it was a personal testimony of Jesus Christ.
I thought he was a Mormon, but didn't know. So, I asked him. He said he wasn't, instead he was RLDS.

I asked him about the Book of Mormon and he said he didn't have time to talk anymore because we both had work to do.

He said, "Look, I go home for lunch, I've got an extra set of books you can borrow to read. "

I took the books home and starting reading them. There was no one coming around to tell me what they meant. I began reading them totally free of any church influence (Christian or LDS).

On Wednesday night we always had praise , prayer and testimony at our Pentecostal church. People were still abuzz about the message given the previous Sunday morning.

When I got up and testified that I acted on the word in tongues and followed the pastors advice, they thought that was good. When I told them it led me to reading the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants they all freaked out.

By the next Sunday you would have thought I was the devil himself.

People were invisioning Mormon elders coming over and indoctrinating me. Good friends were calling my wife while I was at work and trying to get her to make me stop reading the books.

One day, about three weeks into this scenario my wife confronted me in a very unkind manner.

She said, "Book of Mormon, Book of Mormon, that's all I hear about around here."

She said this because people at church were pressuring her to straighten me out. (They had to save me from the Mormon monsters) I was about to leave for work and I always took reading material because my job often required me driving and having to wait for several hours with nothing to do. I usually took the Bible.

I didn't get upset with her, I thought her comments were not right, but said to myself, "This is your wife, she might be seeing something about you that you can't see."

So, I left the Book of Mormon sitting by the kitchen door and took my Bible instead.

On the job that day I was at the Arizona State UNiversity agricultural farm with a busload of FHA members. There were about fifty buses there from all over the state and we all parked in one of their fields.

I got settled in my bus and was just starting to open the BIble when another bus driver knocked on my bus door.

I was sitting a couple of rows back in passenger seats when he stuck his head in and said, "Whatcha' doin'?"

I didn't have the best attitude and thought, "Oh boy, he probably wants to come in and offer me a cigarette and start cracking off color jokes."

So I figured I'd run him off right away.

"Well, I'm just getting ready to read my Bible.", I said.

He looked kind of dejected and said, "I thought you might be reading the Book of Mormon."

I had to make sure my ears were working right.

"What did you say?"

"Why aren't you reading the Book of Mormon?"

The man was a Native American. He came in and gave a testimony of his love for Jesus Christ and his gratitude that His visit to his ancestors was recorded and brought forth.

That and several other experiences in a short time convinced me of the truth of the book.

It all started with a message in tongues.

And by the way, one of the reasons many Christians didn't like Joseph Smith and the early latter day church was because they spoke in tongues.

BenJosh
I'm enjoying reading of the experiences and faith of others. So, thank you for sharing. :)

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
energize said:
Hi dawny

When you speak and no one hears (understands) you, what good does it do you or they? Who is the beneficiary? As grandma used to say, "are you just talking to hear your head roar?" :)
I've stated many times...I do it for my OWN benefit...self edification...

FFH

Veteran Member
benjosh said:
I think this is the reason why we don't speak in tongues today, because of earlier ridiculings in church history. We had to mellow out a bit to avoid persecutions. Just a theory. I need to look up some ot the history of speaking in tongues in the LDS church. This is a fascinating subject. I vaguely remember reading that Joseph Smith and other members did speak in tongues on certain occasions. Like the dedicating of a temple or something like that. I need to do my research and find out.

benjosh

FFH said:
I think this is the reason why we don't speak in tongues today, because of earlier ridiculings in church history. We had to mellow out a bit to avoid persecutions. Just a theory. I need to look up some ot the history of speaking in tongues in the LDS church. This is a fascinating subject. I vaguely remember reading that Joseph Smith and other members did speak in tongues on certain occasions. Like the dedicating of a temple or something like that. I need to do my research and find out.

In your search, I think if you will look at the history of the Women's relief society in Kirtland you will find an account of someone running to Joseph Smith to tell him that the women's meeting was getting out of hand . . . . . they were speaking in tongues in thir women's meeting. Joseph reply was something like, leave them alone, it was a good thing.

I am sharing this from a memory that is not the best. If you can get this information and share it. . . . . that would be great.

You may have to dig deep and not totally within the LDS, but elsewhere.

BenJosh

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
StewpidLoser said:
I always thought that the purpose of speaking in tongues was so that anyone listening could understand... so folks listening could understand the message no matter what lanuage they knew.
So I gotta ask - what is the purpose of "speaking in tongues" if no-one understands?
StewpidLoser,

I'm totally with you on this. I believe in tongues, but it seems to me that God would only use the gift of tongues to further His work and not just as evidence that the individual who was speaking had been saved. I think the only purpose in the gift of tongues is, as you said, "so that anyone listening could understand."

FFH

Veteran Member
benjosh said:
In your search, I think if you will look at the history of the Women's relief society in Kirtland you will find an account of someone running to Joseph Smith to tell him that the women's meeting was getting out of hand . . . . . they were speaking in tongues in thir women's meeting. Joseph reply was something like, leave them alone, it was a good thing.
I think your memory has served you right. This is the kind of stuff that probably stopped the speaking in tongues. Members ridiculing other members for speaking in tongues. It was probably thought to be too radical or weird, so it was supressed by it's own members, at the time.

I haven't done any research on this because I have been relaxing and enjoying the New Year's weekend. I wil start tomorrow on this. I think there is evidence of speaking in tongues in our church history that we as members are unaware of, or did not understand. I am pretty sure there is a difference between the "speaking in tongues" and the "gift of tongues" . This is where the confusion exists. One is used when communing with God and the other is used when trying to communicate in a foreign language.