• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking in Tongues...Do You?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Hi!

What are your views on speaking in tongues?

I speak in tongues...frequently.

Just thought I'd ask. I have a strange notion that I may be in the minority on this one.:eek:

Peace to all...

Popeyesays

To the best of my Biblical study, the purpose of "speaking in tongues" was to be understood by audiences who did not necessarily understand your language. In other words, it was for the purpose of communicating without let or hindrance to anyone within earshot.

The modern evangelical practice of tongues is exactly opposite. It is to put an interpreter between the speaker and the hearer. To put into mystic code, so that only the "believing" may understand. Compare that to speaking in tongues in the Gospels or the Book of Acts. The two things appear to be in direct opposition to me.

Regards,
Scott

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
My 1st experience with it was when I was a teen, I went to a church that the same person every week would speak in tongues and the same person interpreted. Thought it was fake. Then. when I got married to my future ex-wife, that night at church service her mother spoke in tongues for the 1st time... Made a believer not of me.

Smoke

Done here.
I did, frequently, between 1974 and 1979, but I came to reject the practice along with the wider theology of Pentecostalism and the Charismatic Movement. I believe that estatic religious movements in general, and the Charismatic Movement in particular, tend to work against a healthy spirituality.

Ori

Angel slayer
I believe that speaking in tongues is probably reserved for those with serious mental problems (no offence dawny), I don't believe that it is proof of anything else, though if you could get a recording of you doing it I would be interested.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Popeyesays said:
To the best of my Biblical study, the purpose of "speaking in tongues" was to be understood by audiences who did not necessarily understand your language. In other words, it was for the purpose of communicating without let or hindrance to anyone within earshot.

The modern evangelical practice of tongues is exactly opposite. It is to put an interpreter between the speaker and the hearer. To put into mystic code, so that only the "believing" may understand. Compare that to speaking in tongues in the Gospels or the Book of Acts. The two things appear to be in direct opposition to me.

Regards,
Scott
Actually, the bible refers to speaking in tongues in two separate lights...there's speaking in tongues for self edification and then speaking in tongues for prophesy. We're encouraged actually to speak in tongues however if you're speaking in front of a crowd...it's pointless unless you have someone to interpret. And can be scary...:D

MdmSzdWhtGuy

I went to my great grandmother's church when I was a kid, maybe 8 or 9 years old, perhaps even younger, this is one of my first vivid memories, and I saw my mother's younger cousins, both in there late teens to early 20's at that time, speak in tongues.

Freaked me the F*$^# out!!!! Both of them are kind of weird cats, and looking back now on the experience, it was a very strange scene to be sure. Preacher was a screaming yelling hellfire and brimstone type. Lots of gory imagery in the sermon, crazy people in the audience jumping up and screaming jibberish. Ahh, to be a youth in the southern fundamentalist church, those were the days. . .

And by the way, I don't think it means that the person has been taken over by the holy spirit, tho that is how it was explained to me as a youth (yoot, what is a yoot?)

B.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Orichalcum said:
I believe that speaking in tongues is probably reserved for those with serious mental problems (no offence dawny), I don't believe that it is proof of anything else, though if you could get a recording of you doing it I would be interested.
LOL!:D

Actually, it can be proof of things if it's being done correctly and for the sake of prophesy.

I'm not that special. I speak in tongues for my own edification.

If I record myself, maybe you can interpret for me! :D I thought it would be interesting to see what others think about this.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
I went to my great grandmother's church when I was a kid, maybe 8 or 9 years old, perhaps even younger, this is one of my first vivid memories, and I saw my mother's younger cousins, both in there late teens to early 20's at that time, speak in tongues.

Freaked me the F*$^# out!!!! Both of them are kind of weird cats, and looking back now on the experience, it was a very strange scene to be sure. Preacher was a screaming yelling hellfire and brimstone type. Lots of gory imagery in the sermon, crazy people in the audience jumping up and screaming jibberish. Ahh, to be a youth in the southern fundamentalist church, those were the days. . .

And by the way, I don't think it means that the person has been taken over by the holy spirit, tho that is how it was explained to me as a youth (yoot, what is a yoot?)

B.
It spooked me until I accepted Christ and started attending a Pentecostal church. I did initially have a "What on Earth?" approach to it. I WANT Jesus Christ to be in the driver's seat of my life. I don't feel that I'm necessarily taken over when I speak in tongues...I feel moreso that I'm giving spiritual utterance. It's different for everyone. And clearly not EVERYONE does it. I had a hunch I'd probably be on my own here.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
I speak in tongues. A little spanish that I learned in High School. I also know some French, but not anything that I would ever repeat, especially during worhsip services.

The practice of speaking in tongues was a gift of the Holy Spirit, used by the apostles and disciples during the first century when the new testament church was just starting to spread. It was used as a convenience, to help spread the word to those who did not speak the common languages found in Jerusalem, and those gifts were ended when the ability to spread the written word and the ability to speak native languages fluently was developed. I do not believe that these spiritual gifts exist today, and I believe that those who practice such are simply wound up and hysterical.

Bangbang

dawny0826 said:
Hi!

What are your views on speaking in tongues?

I speak in tongues...frequently.

Just thought I'd ask. I have a strange notion that I may be in the minority on this one.:eek:

Peace to all...
When you do this...do you and anyone around you know what you are saying? If not.....then what is the purpose of speaking in tongues.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I agree with Paul on this:

I Corinthians 14:19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue. NIV

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Jesus é nosso Senhor e Salvador. O nenhum homem vem a o Pai, mas por Ele
Portuguese! : D

Eu falo português XP

But more on topic, I don't buy the speaking in tongues bit. I do believe one speaks with a tongue, though...

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i do not like the idea of speaking intongues, mainly because of what i have seen the evangelical movement do with the idea of it!

i have been at evangelical movements and seen pastors come out, read some verses of the bible about how god-like it is to speak in tongues, and then gotten everyone really excited about shouting to the lord in different languages, and then shouted out the weirdest sounds ever, and then told everyone that that was speaking in tongues

ofcourse, because everyone is so excited by this point, everyone starts to shout out a mash of words and sounds, and the pastor goes "ta-da! you can all prey and shout to the lord in tongues!"

now, is it just me, or can anyone else see anything to be skeptical of in this? im sorry, but i view prayer as talking directly to God, so the idea that speaking in tongues is a special way of talking to God just hits me as being silly, because we can already do this, so why bother shouting silly words and sounds?

something else that annoys me though is this: in my experience, people with "spiritual gifts" like speakin in tongues and prophecy are praised above other people in churchs (this is only in my experience, im not generalising)

for instance, one time in my current church, a very nice, kind lady came up to me and said "God knows you are looking for a partner to share your life with, and he has the perfect girl lined up for you! she will be the girl of your dreams and you will be with her for eternity." it was lovely to hear, but incredibly wrong, yet the people around her who heard this praised her spiritual gifts! im sorry, but i see this as a form of favouritism.

im not saying people do these things because they require attention, i just don't think you can promote people as "better" spiritual people because they can prophesy or speak in tongues - which sadly, my church does :eek:

mike

john63

titmouse
jamaesi said:
Portuguese! : D

Eu falo português XP

But more on topic, I don't buy the speaking in tongues bit. I do believe one speaks with a tongue, though...
I don't speak portugese. I used a translator. I admit it, I'm a fake.:( :bonk:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I believe the gift of tongues (speaking in tongues and interpreting tongues) is a legitate gift from God. If it was present in the Church Jesus Christ established, it stands to reason that it would be present in His Church today. Nevertheless, I don't believe it's a gift that we often see used. God can choose to enable someone to use this gift if it serves His purposes, but it is seldom actually needed. I definitely don't believe that it's "evidence" that someone is "saved." I've never heard anyone speak in tongues and don't expect to, but I don't think that means we should assume that this gift no longer exists.

jonny

As a missionary I felt that I had the assistance of the Holy Spirit with learning a foreign language. This assisted me with preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ in a tounge that was not my own. There were times when I felt I was able to explain things I couldn't have explained without the promptings of the Holy Spirit. This is the closest I have ever felt to speaking in tounges.

I don't believe that the "gift of tounges" refers to speaking in gibberish.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Bangbang said:
When you do this...do you and anyone around you know what you are saying? If not.....then what is the purpose of speaking in tongues.
There is no point unless you're being prophetic, which I'm not...

You can also speak in tongues for self edification. I don't necessarily believe that it's something that you HAVE to do like some of my Pentecostal pals...

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Katzpur said:
I believe the gift of tongues (speaking in tongues and interpreting tongues) is a legitate gift from God. If it was present in the Church Jesus Christ established, it stands to reason that it would be present in His Church today. Nevertheless, I don't believe it's a gift that we often see used. God can choose to enable someone to use this gift if it serves His purposes, but it is seldom actually needed. I definitely don't believe that it's "evidence" that someone is "saved." I've never heard anyone speak in tongues and don't expect to, but I don't think that means we should assume that this gift no longer exists.
Nicely put. :D

Prophecy in Tongues...Taken from the New King James Version of the Bible

1 Corinthians 14:1-5

"Pursue love and desire spiritual gifts but especially that you may prophesy. For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself but he who prophesies edifies the church. I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied: for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification."

The Pentecostals believe that the true sign that you are saved is when you speak in tongues. I don't believe that speaking in tongues is necessarily THE sign that you are saved BUT from personal experience I have experienced the edification that the Bible mentions...sometimes when I'm struggling with a particular issue and I'll pray to the Holy Spirit for guidance...I'll feel driven to do it and sometimes it's not jibberish...sometimes, I feel driven to simply sing or speak (or shout:shout ) praises. Sometimes, afterwards...I'll have that A-HA moment where whatever I'd been struggling with comes into focus and I see the solution...or sometimes...I just feel incredibly mellow and at peace...

It's just one facet of my faith that is special to me.