• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soybean oil products?

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Several months ago I started to avoid products with soybean oil, because I heard that they can contain molecules which mimic the effects of estrogen. I have stopped buying most salad dressings (most of which use soybean oil). Are my concerns eccentric?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Several months ago I started to avoid products with soybean oil, because I heard that they can contain molecules which mimic the effects of estrogen. I have stopped buying most salad dressings (most of which use soybean oil). Are my concerns eccentric?

As with many nutritional studies, they're vague, and often contradictory. Scientists can't seem to determine how much is too much, how much is enough, and more. I know some folks who cut back on Tofu for this same reason.

I think if we studied enough, and heeded all the 'advice', we'd all starve to death.

Another challenge is that we all have slightly different genetic metabolisms, and there is no one size that fits all.

Until your post, I didn't realise that soybean oil was the common ingredient, but then we don't use bought salad dressings, and make our own. We use olive oil, occasionally canola oil.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Promoters say it's healthy, detractors say it's not so I'd be cautious.

To replace your missing salad dressings, good and simply and any oil free

Table spoon of each mixed together

Honey (the runny stuff, not the solid)
Balsamic vinegar
Mustard (i use whole grain but a smooth mustard with a bite will do)

It's better than anything ready made that you can buy.

Batya

Always Forward
I have heard, though you'd have to research it as I'm not 100% sure, that soybean products that are prepared traditionally (usually fermented or cultured in some way) do not have this issue. People have been eating soybeans for ages, yet this concern about mimicking estrogen is relatively recent, so I think it's feasible that the difference may have to do with preparation. The production of most foods today has gone more to quickness and efficiency rather than sticking with more traditional practices. In this case, maybe it's not been the best thing, although, I don't know about the oil. But no, I don't think your concern is eccentric. :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Giving everything in the environment today, I'm not concerned about soybeans. If there was a real issue, men would be wearing bras. As it is, merchants of fear are having a field day.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Giving everything in the environment today, I'm not concerned about soybeans. If there was a real issue, men would be wearing bras. As it is, merchants of fear are having a field day.
Good old obesity will do that. So there are more than a few American men that might consider investing in a bro.

jerry6.jpeg

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
over 90% of soy is genetically modified.
Good ole US of A.
And apparently now cos of the brexit omnishambles we consumers in the UK will have GM food on our shelves (unlabelled as such of course, we can't have informed consumers messing with our profit margins).

InChrist

Free4ever
So what? No one has to date shown any harm at all from GMO crops. GMO is needed to feed the world.
That is false. GMO crops cross pollinate and contaminate other crops. The prevalent use of GMO crops threatens the genetic diversity of the food supply. GMO crops give control to corporate control while harming small farmers.
GMOs — Top five concerns for family farmers – Farm Aid

GMO crops pose a danger to human health...
The Dangers of GMOs
GMO Dangers: Facts You Need to Know - Center for Nutrition Studies

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That is false. GMO crops cross pollinate and contaminate other crops. The prevalent use of GMO crops threatens the genetic diversity of the food supply. GMO crops give control to corporate control while harming small farmers.
GMOs — Top five concerns for family farmers – Farm Aid

GMO crops pose a danger to human health...
The Dangers of GMOs
GMO Dangers: Facts You Need to Know - Center for Nutrition Studies
Your sources do not appear to even try to refute my claims.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard this report, and I think its rubbish.

We eat a lot of soy. None of my sons have boobs. My husband, oldest and youngest are lean, middle is all muscle. I am fat, but that's not due to soy.

Maybe if you ate predominantly soy you'd notice a difference, but as long as you're eating a balanced diet, I wouldn't worry about it.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
No, it’s not even according to the article you linked if you read the points 1-6.
Difference Between GMO and Hybrid | Compare the Difference Between Similar Terms

Yes it is. Reread points 1-6 again, as I'm not seeing what you are. Hybridization is still genetically modifying an organism, albeit in a slower fashion than some current industrial methods. My point still stands, 100% of what we eat, has been genetically guided in some way, by humans. This does not make it harmful to us.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
A few years ago a young woman school-bus driver was complaining about female troubles and she kept increasing soy products and said she was getting worse and not better.
I said that sounds as if your body is rejecting and Not doing well on soy beans and try doing the opposite.