• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Sovereign citizens" run afoul of the law

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If he's truly delusional, then why wouldn't the judge find him not guilty by reason of insanity? Why "whack" somebody with a contempt of court charge? Where is your conscience? Where is your sense of humanity?
Because that is not how the insanity plea works. And I am sure that the defendant would want that either. He would likely spend much more time locked up for criminal insanity than for the relatively minor crime that he committed.

And contempt of court is used when someone does not give the court its due respect. You may not realize it, but an attack on the courts is an attack on society. It is an attack on you and me. He only got away with it because he was rather polite. But countless times his attempt to get the case out of that court had been explained to him. My humanity is exactly where it belongs. A minor punishment might be what is needed to bring that man back to reality.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The assumption is that they're given in secret by higher authorities. I don't know if that's strictly true, but I don't know that it's not true either. No one in this thread has been able to prove otherwise.

We don't need to. The burden of proof is not upon us. No one from this forum has not proven it was not done by license plate farting pixies either. If I made that claim the burden of proof would be upon me. The defendant made a claim, and one that was not much less ridiculous than mine. The burden of proof would be upon him.

That may not be good enough. There should be cameras and microphones in every courtroom, up to and including the Supreme Court. Just as they have cameras in Congress. The people have a right to know.

That might not be a bad idea. Though deliberations have always been private and probably should remain so.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The assumption is that they're given in secret by higher authorities. I don't know if that's strictly true, but I don't know that it's not true either.
But what reason do you have to think it might be true?

No one in this thread has been able to prove otherwise.
What on Earth would make you think that’s their job?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Here is an example of a "Sovereign citizen" in a court abusing court rules. It is a wonder that the judge does not hit him with contempt of court charges:

Delay is his obvious goal. He can't win the case so he is trying to make it last forever. This wastes everyone's money.
I agree that delay is the goal, but how can someone justify such a monumental waste of time to fight the justice system? I just don't get it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I agree that delay is the goal, but how can someone justify such a monumental waste of time to fight the justice system? I just don't get it.

In that case I think that the defendant is merely trying to delay the inevitable. As long as the judge does not come to a decision he is free from punishment. Personally I see it as an abuse of the legal system and should be dealt with. I saw a much shorter one today that really cracked me up. I will see if I can find it again.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Another article on these people. It started among white racists and now it seems that black racists have their own version:

Sovereign Citizens Movement

The black racists call themselves "Moorish Nationals" and have some really strange beliefs.
I wouldn't trust the SPLC.....they wear "white racism / anti-semitism" colored glasses.
The sovereign types I've known are more diverse than that.....religion (Baptist or Catholic),
libertarianism, commies, & even hippies. I'd say they're no less tolerant than the crazy
crusaders in the SPLC. It might just be the crowd I run with, but the SPLC propaganda
smells generally bigoted.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I wouldn't trust the SPLC.....they wear "white racism / anti-semitism" colored glasses.
The sovereign types I've known are more diverse than that.....religion (Baptist or Catholic),
libertarianism, commies, & even hippies. I'd say they're no less tolerant than the crazy
crusaders in the SPLC. It might just be the crowd I run with, but the SPLC propagandat

That could be. They did not claim that the black people that practiced this were racists, that was an observation that I made by listening to internet videos that involved black people that followed this belief. The ones that call themselves "Moorish" tend to be extremely racist. They are willing to point out when white people are racist at the drop of a hat, black people, not so much.

Nous

Premium Member
I'm not the one who locks people up for bogus crimes.
Who do you accuse of locking people up for "bogus crimes"? Do you perceive that as a widespread problem in the US?

My impression is that the "sovereign citizens" are not simply trying to express the idea that there exist injustices in our justice system.
The ones I have spoken to would say that they're doing exactly that. I see it more as an act of civil disobedience, which has been applauded many times when people face injustice.
The "sovereign citizens" in the videos posted on this thread are doing things such as refusing to obey a police officer's quite legal and reasonable commands ("step out of the car") while babbling about the Articles of Confederation, and jabbering endlessly in court about not having proof of the court's jurisdiction, and creating confusion about having multiple names and titles, and driving without a drivers license (and/or current registration and/or insurance). It's nothing but trying to throw up senseless obstacles to the administration of justice. No evidence has been presented on this thread of any of them trying to correct any injustice.

You said (in post #155):

The key word I note is "continual," which is defined as "frequently recurring; always happening."
That's correct. Again, nothing I have said implied that the law has the "precision of mathematics". Right?

In the same statement (quoted above), you stated that "(rights) do not...become valid or invalid according to some tyrant's mood." The word "mood" relates to human emotions.
I was repeating your use of the word "mood". I pointed out that rights do not disappear according to a "tyrant's" "mood". Obviously it isn't logically consistent to say that rights are expressions of objective moral facts yet rights are not continual and evaporate according to a "tyrant's" "mood".

Notice how you are not responding to what I've actually said here.
I wasn't going to respond to personal questions about me or anything that has happened to me.
I didn't ask you a personal question. I pointed out that you are not responding to what I've actually said here.

On the thread you refer to, I quoted the SEP article on rights, and noted that consistent with the introductory passage, I would say that the language relating to "rights" is that they are expressions of objective moral facts. As such, that does not and cannot mean that rights go in and out of existence, or become valid or invalid, according to some "tyrant's" "mood". It means that, e.g., there is an objective moral fact about a government making another person involuntarily, by force of law, a slave. The mere fact that it was legal in the Confederate states for a person to own and enslave another person doesn't mean that the enslaved person's rights did not exist or disappeared.
I actually agree with you on this.
I am happy to hear that.

In this case, we're talking about something different than slavery. Is it an objective moral fact that a person has a right to travel without undue hardship or restrictions placed upon them? Is it an objective moral fact that a person has a right to be safe in his/her domicile without cops kicking in their doors or shooting them? Is it an objective moral fact that a person has a right to imbibe in whatever substances he/she wishes?
With reasonable exceptions, I would definitely say that it is immoral or unethical to deprive someone of the right to travel (to a destination that is not off-limits for some legitimate reason). I would say that, with reasonable exceptions, it is immoral and unethical to kick down someone's door or to shoot another civilian. And I would say that, with reasonable exceptions, it is immoral or unethical to prevent someone from taking a substance that s/he wishes to take.

I'm sure that you will note my "vague" and non-specific language about "reasonable exceptions"--language that is a lot like that found in the Fourth Amendment.

In a video which Subduction Zone posted, we see a judge clamoring about "procedure" and "court rules," as if rights can only be defined by a "licensed practicing attorney."
I didn't see where any judge said or implied that "rights can only be defined by a licensed practicing attorney".

Of course, it is a fact that the Court ultimately interprets the language of the Constitution, including the language in which rights are stated. It would be a chaotic legal system if every individual could apply his/her own idiosyncratic interpretation of the language in which rights are stated.

The little guy who can't afford a good attorney is at a disadvantage.
That's definitely true in our system and horribly unfortunate. A person arrested on probable cause has a right to effective assistance of an attorney. Yet in just about every jurisdiction, public defenders are grossly overburdened. And it's practically impossible for attorneys to offer professional services and advice to people who have been arrested without becoming grossly overburdened in the system.

The judge appeared to be in a rather testy mood and wasn't willing to listen to the defendant. Is that fair? Is that representative of the kind of "justice" people can expect?
The only videos I saw showed judges who were being very polite, patient and fair. If you can point out where a judge was being unfairly "testy" toward someone who was trying to be cooperative and merely trying to represent his cause in court, please do.

But as history shows, it takes extraordinary effort to change that society.
Smart people do not want the country to change into the nonsense kind of stuff that the "sovereign citizens" have demonstrated and babbled about videos posted on this thread. There's more than enough idiotic ranting in the US as it is.

Definitely none of the "sovereign citizens" in videos posted on this thread has shown themselves to be engaged in any effort akin to trying to abolish involuntary servitude or secure anyone's civil rights.

Well, as I said, I've known some of them personally, and they're not psychopaths at all. They're mainly of the ex-hippie variety who have found cause to question authority. They're free-thinkers and non-conformists who don't feel bound to any pedantic rules of procedure which bureaucratic martinets would place upon them. They're not anarchists or psychopaths. Maybe they might come across as a bit odd, and perhaps they might be upsetting to those who are locked into convention and form. To them, content is more important than form. But here in this thread, I have encountered those who are not free thinkers and who tend to be overly hung up on form, such as the guy saying "no breaking up posts." WTF is that all about?
The "sovereign citizens" in the videos posted on this thread show themselves to be not very smart (e.g., about the law, and about how to bring about the best result for him/herself), and express stuff that seems to me delusional.

Last edited:

Nous

Premium Member
crusaders in the SPLC. It might just be the crowd I run with, but the SPLC propaganda
Cite some examples of racism and anti-semitism expressed by the SPLC, and what you are referring to as "SPLC propaganda".

Nous

Premium Member
The assumption is that they're given in secret by higher authorities. I don't know if that's strictly true, but I don't know that it's not true either. No one in this thread has been able to prove otherwise.
By what method do you suggest that someone go about proving that judges are not instructed "in secret by higher authorities" to not change a yellow-fringed flag in a courtroom?

That may not be good enough. There should be cameras and microphones in every courtroom, up to and including the Supreme Court. Just as they have cameras in Congress. The people have a right to know.
Cameras and microphones in courtrooms won't help anything if judges are being secretly instructed by higher authorities about not changing a flag.

Now, why should a flag in a courtroom be changed anyway?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The OP once mentioned that these people all sound like they are reading from a script. That appears to be the case. In this video at the sixteen minute mark you can see the man reading from a piece of paper. Some source clearly has a FAQ list for people when they are pulled over complete with bogus law claims:

Nous

Premium Member
The OP once mentioned that these people all sound like they are reading from a script. That appears to be the case. In this video at the sixteen minute mark you can see the man reading from a piece of paper. Some source clearly has a FAQ list for people when they are pulled over complete with bogus law claims:
Yeah, upfront the guy hands the officer a piece of paper that apparently is supposed to explain something. It seems these people have memorized a few phrases that they use in a deluded way. Like other “sovereign citizens,” this guy states that he's “not a driver, [he's] a traveler”. He doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about. He was operating a car on a public street. It doesn't matter what word he uses to refer to himself when doing that.

In response to a variety of challenged laws that restricted interstate movement, the Court has long recognized that the Privileges and Immunities Clause provides for the freedom of movement or right of travel. Article IV, Section 2: “The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.” The Court has held that it essentially means the right to ingress and egress a state, and, when visiting another state, to enjoy the same privileges that residents do. The Clause has never been held to allow persons to operate vehicles on public streets without a license or registration or to use any sort of public or commercial carrier without paying the fare. The “sovereign citizens” don't have anything that's even intelligent at the middle school level. They've got and repeat ad nauseam a few phrases of delusional claptrap. It's definitely nothing akin to trying to correct injustices or secure civil rights.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
And here I though my first thread of the New Year was going to be on Intersectionality. Jeeez. The plans of mice and er, um, mice.

Please, please get that thread on intersectionality started! please!