• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Border Crossing for FY2021 Set Record

tytlyf

Not Religious
Yep. I think both parties are natural shills with an unhealthy hunger for wealth and power.
False equivalence. One party is all about suppressing workers while elevating elitists.
What's the republican policy on wage increases? Republicans support unions?

You should expand your information sources. Or just look at which states have better economies for worker classes. You choose not to look. Go with the propaganda and fear mongering conspiracies.

Fact is prior to supply-side "Reaganomics" America had two things:
1) Higher tax rates on the wealthy
And
2) Budget surpluses

After Reaganomics we've had:
1) The wealth gap ballooning to unreasonable levels, worse than it's been prior to the Great Depression
And
2) Trillion dollar deficits* and an exponentially growing debt

*this trend bucked by the Omnibus package signed in the early 90s by the Clinton administration, which rose the wealthier brackets' taxes and had a couple years with a good economy where we had the one and only budget surpluses ever seen in my waking life. Then of course Dubya happened and that was history.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
False equivalence. One party is all about suppressing workers while elevating elitists.

You should expand your information sources. Or just look at which states have better economies for worker classes. You choose not to look. Go with the propaganda and fear mongering conspiracies.

And
2) Budget surpluses

1) The wealth gap ballooning to unreasonable levels, worse than it's been prior to the Great Depression
And

*this trend bucked by the Omnibus package signed in the early 90s by the Clinton administration, which rose the wealthier brackets' taxes and had a couple years with a good economy where we had the one and only budget surpluses ever seen in my waking life. Then of course Dubya happened and that was history.
Your claims about the budget are not very accurate. The last time that we had a surplus in the budget before Reagan was 1969. We did have four years of surplus after Reagan. Those were in Bill Clintons last term and the first term of George Bush. I would credit all of those to the combination of the Clinton White House and the Republican congress. Between the two of them it worked.:

https://www.thoughtco.com/history-of-us-federal-budget-deficit-3321439

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Yep. I think both parties are natural shills with an unhealthy hunger for wealth and power.
Weren't you a rather vocal supporter of one of these parties' presidential candidates at some point, or was that a wrong impression I had of you?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Weren't you a rather vocal supporter of one of these parties' presidential candidates at some point, or was that a wrong impression I had of you?
Of course. I voted for a Trump as a stick of dynamite. However I started a search for a new party after the Capitol riot occurred.

I still hold to conservatism in the majority, but only will vote for people that have actually shown and demonstrated an ability to improve life for people in some fashion contributing to economic and personal freedoms. . I'm not voting strictly party lines anymore.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

And
2) Budget surpluses

And

I'll give you at least this much.

I used to think trickle down works, but I've changed it to trickle up economics once I realized one day that on the way down, there are people at the top grabbing from all directions as it heads downward to a point it became clear that by the time it finally hits the bottom, where people need it the most, there's pretty much nothing left because everyone else kept grabbing chunks of it for themselves as it passes downward.

So I now am willing to go with the idea of trickle up economics, where the base benefits society empowered with living wages with the ability to pay the bills and have a few creature comforts.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Republican supporters always seem to bring it up as if it was true, so probably?

I don't know how that would even work, by the way.
Doesn't getting US citizenship involve a very long, arduous and costly process that takes years, and isn't it flat out impossible for illegal immigrants to become citizens in the first place?

So how would any given Democrat even get all these illegal immigrants to vote for them even if they wanted to? And how would they guarantee that these immigrants would vote for them in the first place?

This doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me, so could you guys clarify how you think that would work?
Haven't liberals historically supported the expansion of civil rights in every area, for the past few hundred years? Perhaps compassion, idealism, and weak tribalism simply select for political liberals, naturally.

I think this political strategy of populist pandering for votes is a new phenomenon, originating on the Right but now beginning to sweep Democrats along in the wake.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Others saw it too.

You might need a bit of mental exercise. When a simple step looks like a jump that is not a good sign.
Look who’s talking. All I said was, “So you don’t believe countries should have borders,” then y’all went ballistic. So easily triggered. Lol

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Look who’s talking. All I said was, “So you don’t believe countries should have borders,” then y’all went ballistic. So easily triggered. Lol
No, you so easily showed our bias with such a foolish statement. There was no triggering. Here is a suggestion. Never play poker.

Watchmen

Premium Member
No, you so easily showed our bias with such a foolish statement. There was no triggering. Here is a suggestion. Never play poker.
No, you actually showed your bias (as did others) when responding to a perfectly legit question. And by the way, I always come out ahead when playing cards.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No, you actually showed your bias (as did others) when responding to a perfectly legit question. And by the way, I always come out ahead when playing cards.
Oh my. That is another bad sign. People with a gambling problem never recognize it. Think about it, if your claim was true that should be your profession.

And no, you tipped your hand. You told us that you were prejudiced in how you described others that appeared to disagree with you. You may be able to play poker with your friends, but here you have a habit of tipping your hand.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Oh my. That is another bad sign. People with a gambling problem never recognize it. Think about it, if your claim was true that should be your profession.

And no, you tipped your hand. You told us that you were prejudiced in how you described others that appeared to disagree with you. You may be able to play poker with your friends, but here you have a habit of tipping your hand.
Nope. I asked a legit question and was criticized and bullied. Believe me. You don’t know my politics and couldn’t guess if you tried.

As for gambling, I play about twice a year and do well. Hardly an addiction. Looks like you’re wrong again. And why would I need to make that my profession when I’m already incredibly successful in my chosen line of work?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Nope. I asked a legit question and was criticized and bullied. Believe me. You don’t know my politics and couldn’t guess if you tried.

As for gambling, I play about twice a year and do well. Hardly an addiction. Looks like you’re wrong again. And why would I need to make that my profession when I’m already incredibly successful in my chosen line of work?
No, you asked a loaded question. And you were treated accordingly.

Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

That is an example of a loaded question. Don't do that and people will be nicer to you.

Watchmen

Premium Member
No, you asked a loaded question. And you were treated accordingly.

Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

That is an example of a loaded question. Don't do that and people will be nicer to you.
Wasn’t loaded. Was legit. You read it through your biased eyes. If you look back, you’ll see one person offered an actual response and we had a short back and forth. People are plenty nice to me. But people like you are only nice to those who agree with you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Wasn’t loaded. Was legit. You read it through your biased eyes. If you look back, you’ll see one person offered an actual response and we had a short back and forth. People are plenty nice to me. But people like you are only nice to those who agree with you.
Nope.. Loaded. It had a false assumption built into it. As a result it can't be legit.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Haven't liberals historically supported the expansion of civil rights in every area, for the past few hundred years? Perhaps compassion, idealism, and weak tribalism simply select for political liberals, naturally.

I think this political strategy of populist pandering for votes is a new phenomenon, originating on the Right but now beginning to sweep Democrats along in the wake.
To clarify my query, I am asking what Democrats are doing in the real world to faciliate an expansion of the franchise to their benefit right now, not whether it would be theoretically possible in some hypothetical version of the US at some point.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Your claims about the budget are not very accurate. The last time that we had a surplus in the budget before Reagan was 1969. We did have four years of surplus after Reagan. Those were in Bill Clintons last term and the first term of George Bush. I would credit all of those to the combination of the Clinton White House and the Republican congress. Between the two of them it worked.:

https://www.thoughtco.com/history-of-us-federal-budget-deficit-3321439
I believe this also coincided with the only period in the 20th century when the US government made cutbacks to its military budget.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe this also coincided with the only period in the 20th century when the US government made cutbacks to its military budget.
Could be. Wait a second . . . Are you trying to pull a fast one? Everyone knows it is anti-American to oppose military spending! There must be better way.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Could be. Wait a second . . . Are you trying to pull a fast one? Everyone knows it is anti-American to oppose military spending! There must be better way.
Heh. I'm old enough to remember Americans writing about a "peace dividend" after the Cold War ended, yet still young enough to not have forgotten how quickly that changed once a certain clique of elitist conmen managed to manufacture a new threat on the horizon.

Fun fact: Bush Jr. was originally pushed to be tougher against China, as his clique of advisors believed that they would be the next looming rival against whom the US could maintain its war footing; then Osama Bin Laden handed them a golden opportunity to massively expand military expanding with near-unanimous support from their population and the US political-economic establishment alike.