• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Border Crossing for FY2021 Set Record

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
What makes a newborn in Iowa think they deserve a life in America?

It is possible that their ancestors either conquered this land and earned it for themselves, or their ancestors lived their lives here before that, or their ancestors were freed slaves, or their ancestors migrated here legally.

So, ancestry. It is an understandable reason for feeling a stronger claim to this land and connection with its inhabitants and culture.

My perspective on this is that nobody “deserves” anything. However... if you truly love and cherish something that belongs to you and/ or your family/ people/ tribe/ culture/ etc... you protect it to the best of your ability. It belongs to you- not because you “deserve it”- but because it is in your power to hold on to it, for as long as that is so. If you do not defend what you love and cherish then other people may come take it from you, or transform it into something you won’t even recognize. It is human nature.

Last edited:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
It is possible that their ancestors either conquered this land and earned it for themselves, or their ancestors lived their lives here before that, or their ancestors were freed slaves, or their ancestors migrated here legally.

So, ancestry. It is an understandable reason for feeling a stronger claim to this land and connection with its inhabitants and culture.

My perspective on this is that nobody “deserves” anything. But... if you truly love and cherish something that belongs to you and/ or your family/ people/ tribe/ culture/ etc... you protect it to the best of your ability. It belongs to you- not because you “deserve it”- but because it is in your power to hold on to it, for as long as that is so. If you do not defend what you love and cherish then other people may come take it from you, or transform it into something you won’t even recognize. It is human nature.

America has always been a mixing pot of a variety if cultures. It is constantly changing. The small Maine town my folks knew is completely different from the one I know.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

@esmith

Are you not pleased that American is again becoming a desirable place to be after fascism of the trump era?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
1.7 million migrant border crossing set record FY2021, and this is just the ones that were apphrened by CBP or turned themselves in. There is an article in the Washington Post (pay wall) that says 1000 illegal cross a day and are not apprehended. Reports say that there are more than 2,000 migrants in the caravan, setting off from Tapachula, Mexico –
Links:
Migrant encounters at southern border just under 200,000 in September, as FY 2021 breaks record
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...258a1e-9302-11eb-9af7-fd0822ae4398_story.html (pay wall)
Organized migrant caravan moves toward US, surging past Mexican forces

Guess you Democrats have to get votes somewhere.:p

Trouble with the politicians is that they have a split personality on this issue.

On the one hand, they kept pressing for free trade with Mexico with NAFTA (making the implied promise that it would reduce illegal border crossings because Mexico's economy would be so great that there would be little incentive to cross illegally).

On the other hand, they've had this obsession with "Reefer Madness" that they feel the need to lockdown the border and create our own "Iron Curtain" in the Americas.

The politicians go on and on about enforcing immigration laws, but then if they did it to full measure, (they say) it would be disastrous for the economy.

They can't make up their minds as to what they want to do. This is for both Democrats and Republicans.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
1.7 million migrant border crossing set record FY2021, and this is just the ones that were apphrened by CBP or turned themselves in. There is an article in the Washington Post (pay wall) that says 1000 illegal cross a day and are not apprehended. Reports say that there are more than 2,000 migrants in the caravan, setting off from Tapachula, Mexico –
Links:
Migrant encounters at southern border just under 200,000 in September, as FY 2021 breaks record
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...258a1e-9302-11eb-9af7-fd0822ae4398_story.html (pay wall)
Organized migrant caravan moves toward US, surging past Mexican forces

Guess you Democrats have to get votes somewhere.:p
No voter ID. Register at the table.

Put 2 and 2 together.

What do you get?

Voter fraud?

Nawwww....

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We've had Mexico on our southern border for a long time. It was only recently, when Republicans realized they could cash in on conservative xenophobia and replacement panic by portraying immigrants as a threat, that this became a major political issue.
Could there possibly be some middle ground in between
Republicans being xenophobes & Democrats wanting
open borders for new party line voters?

tytlyf

Not Religious

Put 2 and 2 together.

What do you get?

Voter fraud?
Cool conspiracy. Surely you have some evidence? Didn't think so.
Most voter fraud I see is republican. You don't care about that..

The majority of people immigrating are coming to work. Work on farms. Jobs that Americans aren't doing on their own.
Guess who encourages this? Republicans and they won't stop that flow due to profit reasons. Big corporate farms rely on the low wages. The same farms that rely on corporate welfare and free handouts. Republicans won't vote to stop that.

GOP = Greed Over People

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Cool conspiracy. Surely you have some evidence? Didn't think so.
Most voter fraud I see is republican. You don't care about that..

The majority of people immigrating are coming to work. Work on farms. Jobs that Americans aren't doing on their own.
Guess who encourages this? Republicans and they won't stop that flow due to profit reasons. Big corporate farms rely on the low wages. The same farms that rely on corporate welfare and free handouts. Republicans won't vote to stop that.

GOP = Greed Over People
Tell me the dems want voter ID.

They don't.

They want anybody off the street to register and guess what? That could be regarded as voter fraud if they don't verify citizenship.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Tell me the dems want voter ID.

They don't.
Some do, some don't. You want as many hoops as possible to jump through to vote. That diminishes turnout and goes against our democratic process.

They want anybody off the street to register and guess what? That could be regarded as voter fraud if they don't verify citizenship.
You have to be a citizen to vote.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

@esmith

Are you not pleased that American is again becoming a desirable place to be after fascism of the trump era?
But they really wanted to come here even when Trump reigned.
A possible reason for the increased illegal traffic is that these
ferriners mistakenly assumed that Biden would be more inviting.
Perhaps Democrats gave that appearance simply because they
wanted to take a position opposite of Trump, while fundamentally
being no different.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Put 2 and 2 together.

What do you get?

Voter fraud?

Nawwww....
Nope. That claim was shown to be false in this last election.

Let me put it this way, immigrants are not dumb just because they do not speak English. They tend to avoid trouble. Why risk getting sent back to Mexico by voting illegally? Think it through. High risk very small gain.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But they really wanted to come here even when Trump reigned.
A possible reason for the increased illegal traffic is that these
ferriners mistakenly assumed that Biden would be more inviting.
Perhaps Democrats gave that appearance simply because they
wanted to take a position opposite of Trump, while fundamentally
being no different.
Perception may be a big part of it. Yet American businesses have never stopped hiring illegal immigrants. I am betting that means that a group that is majority Republican have never stopped hiring illegal immigrants. There is a law in place that would greatly cut down on that practice, but it is never applied. Both sides had the ability to do so and yet neither does. This tells us that the border rhetoric is mostly just that. Noise by the Republicans to soothe, or agitate, their voters.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Perception may be a big part of it. Yet American businesses have never stopped hiring illegal immigrants. I am betting that means that a group that is majority Republican have never stopped hiring illegal immigrants.
And government & charities have never stopped providing benefits.
It seems that this is something favored by Democrats.

I'm adding balance to the usual anti-business spirit of RF.
To understand the problem means considering all aspects.