• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Baptist leaders routinely silenced sexual abuse survivors

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In other words, the Southern Baptist convention served mammon and not God. Presumably no one here is at all surprised at this story.

Bombshell 400-page report finds Southern Baptist leaders routinely silenced sexual abuse survivors

The historic, nearly 400-page report details how a small, insular and influential group of leaders “singularly focused on avoiding liability for the SBC to the exclusion of other considerations” to prevent abuse. The report was published by Guidepost Solutions, an independent firm that conducted 330 interviews and reviewed two decades of internal SBC files in the seven-month investigation.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
In other words, the Southern Baptist convention served mammon and not God. Presumably no one here is at all surprised at this story.

Bombshell 400-page report finds Southern Baptist leaders routinely silenced sexual abuse survivors

The historic, nearly 400-page report details how a small, insular and influential group of leaders “singularly focused on avoiding liability for the SBC to the exclusion of other considerations” to prevent abuse. The report was published by Guidepost Solutions, an independent firm that conducted 330 interviews and reviewed two decades of internal SBC files in the seven-month investigation.

This began with Russell Moore's protest and choice to leave the SBC, back in 2021.
The Tragedy of Russell Moore

The article I'm linking to talks about the interesting fight against suspected liberal pastors in the SBC, but it also has to do with the topic of the OP. Possibly it is Moore's resignation that prompts this report by this Guidepost organization (that I've never heard of before). They investigate the response to sexual abuse allegations which appear from the years 2000 to 2021.

Here's a link to their investigation document: DocumentCloud

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Not surprised. They love obedience and hate questions, and everything is Jehovah testing them and they must be strong and endure the trials they have received.
There are many reasons I say I escaped a cult.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

Sad, but unsurprising, considering it seems the typical nature of how many religious organizations have handled this problem.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
In other words, the Southern Baptist convention served mammon and not God. Presumably no one here is at all surprised at this story
Ouch, that must feel embarrassing

I am of course not surprised

Karma is being served. And I love karma, justice in action. No one gets away, one day it gets back at you, even to the Baptists I told about karma, but who did not believe in it

Really bad, but understandable. Many even "kill", trying to avoid getting exposed themselves

The historic, nearly 400-page report details how a small, insular and influential group of leaders “singularly focused on avoiding liability for the SBC to the exclusion of other considerations” to prevent abuse. The report was published by Guidepost Solutions, an independent firm that conducted 330 interviews and reviewed two decades of internal SBC files in the seven-month investigation
Incredible how all these atrocities come to the surface now. That's a good thing. Science improved a lot. Human Dharmic behavior not so much, but getting all these scandals come to the surface now, might indicate there is a shift now. Would be fantastic