• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Baptist convention attendance

Riders

The Attendance and money is up but memberships and new baptism are down by 1.3 million according to this article.

My opinion is both attendance and memberships are going down.However I have no proof and do not present that as fact.It is only an opinion and that's all it is.

Here is the link tell me what you think. What is your opinion?
ACP: Worship attendance rises, baptisms decline

David T

Premium Member
The Attendance and money is up but memberships and new baptism are down by 1.3 million according to this article.

My opinion is both attendance and memberships are going down.However I have no proof and do not present that as fact.It is only an opinion and that's all it is.

Its a cult in christian drag.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Here in the area of the Detroit suburbs, most Baptist churches have been taken over by other denominations or independents, especially Pentecostals.

Riders

Here in the area of the Detroit suburbs, most Baptist churches have been taken over by other denominations or independents, especially Pentecostals.

Well the non denominational churches are huge in Texas too but the Baptists are way way bigger out here.

Let me think how to explain this. Take the Catholic churches out here some of them have a charismatic movement int hem or did a few years ago. So while there have been a few churches gone charismatic in reality to a lot of churches Charismatic just means upbeat contemporary music praise and worship, clapping of hands raising of hands and a few howl la loo yas .

Most Baptist churches are upbeat and have praise and worship, Bapticostals,so many churches who have the up beat contemporary services are just Baptiscostals. I mean they do't speak in tongues or dance or anything like that.

But like many of the Episcapalian churches our here the Catholic church in my town of Mesquite is BaptiCatholic they have praise and worship most Community and bible churches are Bapticostals,so When I got out of the United Pentecostal Church inc which is a cult, the churches I'd visit out here, it was like
facing my past even though they are not oneness in Godhead nor Jesus only
Baptism or speaking tongues,still its like i just could not get away from Praise and worship services.

I wanted to go to a nice quite Catholic church.No way doing.

metis

I wanted to go to a nice quite Catholic church.No way doing.
The Catholic church my wife and I go to is actually quite quiet as we have a heavy Polish contingent and history, and they tend to quite religiously conservative.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe it is possible that the SBC is benefiting from keeping a high moral standard when other churches are not. Therefore membership increases from transfers who do not need to be baptized again.

metis

I believe not all Baptist churches are SBC.
Correct, and up here in the Midwest they are present but not in the same numbers as in the South.

BTW, when I did my walk this afternoon I noticed that another Baptist church near where I live changed and is now a "community church".