• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Baptist church leaders found to have molested

ecco

Veteran Member
The last science I saw on how gayness comes about is via abnormal, prenatal endocrine influences in the womb.

Wow! Imagine you citing science. I another thread you were certain that homosexuals were caused by older males abusing younger males.

ETA: With the notable exception of your word "abnormal" that's pretty much correct.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Thinking that Christ paid for their sins is what most pedophiles like need to believe.
He never really answered that question. Funny how some sins are worse than others if those sins are the sins of people you don't like but your own sin gets a pass because of Jesus.

QuestioningMind

You mean like sodomites who believe they have no sin and that God's ok with their immoral life style?

Oh dear... spartan is letting his homophobia show. Clearly he's afraid that if homosexuality becomes accepted that the temptation will be too strong for him to ignore. Poor baby.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm sure you can find instance of sexual abuse from anyone in a position of power (not defending the SB's BTW).
I do support you on this one...power can be the most terrible temptation.

And that's a very good reason, by the way, for the concept of a liberal democracy is so important to me.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It seems that the most common sexual predators of children are ones that are trusted and have more access to them regardless of religion, race, sex, etc. but most are men.
Though it does seem, lately, that there are an amazing number of female teachers getting their jollies with young males lately. I've seen dozens of cases in the news over the past few years.

Riders

Id like to get back on topic of the SBC and what it will do to keep folks from falling out of church over this. Did the convention figure out what theyd do to find out of these workers have a past, run their criminal back ground on them? I think some of them were known, but Pastors hired them anyways. Should they not make rules to fire or punish those who had help those people get jobs at church knowing their records?

The big question to me is this going to hurt church membership if so, how with the church deal?

JJ50

Id like to get back on topic of the SBC and what it will do to keep folks from falling out of church over this. Did the convention figure out what theyd do to find out of these workers have a past, run their criminal back ground on them? I think some of them were known, but Pastors hired them anyways. Should they not make rules to fire or punish those who had help those people get jobs at church knowing their records?

The big question to me is this going to hurt church membership if so, how with the church deal?
Hopefully the church membership will fade to zero.

sooda

Veteran Member
It's a relatively common theme though. The Weird Science of Homophobes Who Turn Out to Be Gay I'm not saying everyone, as you're absolutely right that there are plenty of bigots anyway.

Excerpt:

Recently, there has been former Ohio state Rep. Wesley Goodman, who resigned late last week after it came out that he had had sex with a man in his office.

In March, former Oklahoma state Sen. Ralph Shortey resigned after being hit with child prostitution charges for allegedly soliciting sex from a 17-year-old boy. Shortey has reportedly decided this week to plead guilty to a child sex trafficking charge.

Both Goodman and Shortey are married men who were clear political opponents of the LGBT community while in office.

After Shortey was arrested, the Associated Press noted that he “routinely” voted for anti-LGBT bills, quoting the director of the LGBT advocacy organization Freedom Oklahoma who said, “He was never vitriolic about it, but he would make the bad votes.”

sooda

Veteran Member
How about like the godly Catholic priests who believe they have no sin and that God's ok with their immoral life style?
How about like the godly Boy Scout Leaders who believe they have no sin and that God's ok with their immoral life style?
How about like the godly Southern Baptist preachers who believe they have no sin and that God's ok with their immoral life style?

Long time ago I spent a year working for a psychiatrist transcribing his notes.. One client was a Baptist Preacher who had molested all his daughters. Nobody did anything about it until he began molesting his granddaughters,

JJ50

Long time ago I spent a year working for a psychiatrist transcribing his notes.. One client was a Baptist Preacher who had molested all his daughters. Nobody did anything about it until he began molesting his granddaughters,

Whilst of course some non religious people are paedophiles, it does seem that the Christian religion, especially the more extreme versions of it, appears to encourage that behaviour.

sooda

Veteran Member
Whilst of course some non religious people are paedophiles, it does seem that the Christian religion, especially the more extreme versions of it, appears to encourage that behaviour.

I blame it more on "closed systems"... like Hasidic Jews or small, independent fundamentalist churches.. presupposing the cult like quality.

JJ50

I blame it more on "closed systems"... like Hasidic Jews or small, independent fundamentalist churches.. presupposing the cult like quality.

The RCC is not a closed system and is often in the media spotlight due to the sexual abuse perpetrated by some of it priests , which that church covered up for many years.:mad: