1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured "South Dakota Will Now Force All Public Schools to Put Up 'May Allah Guide You' Signs"

Discussion in 'Religious News' started by Skwim, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,415
    Religion:
    Agnostic

"South Dakota will require all public schools to display “May Allah Guide You” signs in a prominent place beginning next school year, after Republican Governor Kristi Noem signed Senate Bill 55 yesterday.

This kind of Islamic kowtowing is hardly surprising in a state where groups can give legislators personalized Korans with the State Seal on them, and where the governor can host a Muslim worship party on her first day in office.

It would be national news if we were talking about any other religion, but conservative Muslims are doing everything they can to push their faith on the people of the state.

Republican majorities are more than willing to give them whatever they want.
    source

Thoughts?

• Creative Creative x 2
  2. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Libertarian Capitalist Atheist Bokononist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38,945
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    The provocation was obvious.

• Like Like x 1
  3. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,397
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I get your point, but the people responding are the same one likely to use your source link.

Personally, I'm strongly against this, but your country is strange. I mean, your money for a start...

4. Fool

Fool ALL in all
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,282
    Religion:
    Grace

you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. you can lead a mind to a thought but you can't make it think, believe.

5. Daemon Sophic

Daemon Sophic Avatar in flux

Ratings:
    +1,282
    Nice. I was wondering why you source link was so small. ;)

Seriously though. Just another pathetic attempt by the religious conservative right to inflict us with their delusions, over the will of the people, the constituion, and the very foundations of our country. Sad.

Lawsuits are coming to a public school near you. Well, actually probably far from most everyone here.. :rolleyes::p

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Samantha Rinne

Samantha Rinne Active Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Religion:
    Follower (and Writer) of the Mune Shinri
    Disgusting.

Also, the person right above me... yeah right, I'm sure this is a "ploy" to gain sympathy for religious right. (That was sarcasm btw) However, Iran used to be Persia and a Zoroastrian country. Saudi Arabia used to have Jews. Egypt were Egyptian pagans, and then Coptic Christians. Syria used to be mostly pagan, and then Christian. Most of these places weren't given a choice, they either had an outright takeover of their country by straight-up army, or there was a slow effort to indoctrinate children.

Assyrian people - Wikipedia

Are there any signs in schools saying "Have you given your life to Christ?" No? Something about separation of church and state, and preventing proselytizing? Then your comment is baseless, and there is a double-standard.

#6 Samantha Rinne, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  7. whirlingmerc

whirlingmerc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +559
    Religion:
    Christian

I tried to look at this bill but only saw a phrase saying the purpose was displaying the national motto "In God we trust" I assume

8. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +15,896
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Despite the separation of Church and State, there are TONS of pro-Christian paraphernalia on display on public/state grounds throughout America.

9. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +7,656
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    It's worth it just to see the Christians going bonkers with a generous dose of their own medicine.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,591
    This appears to be a false story.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Dan From Smithville

Dan From Smithville Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,116
    Religion:
    Methodist
    I have some. They are the same for this that I have for any attempt by government to force religion on the people.

If they are going to do this, they are going to have to let Muslims, Satanists, JWs, and all the many, many religions and sects put up their favorite slogans too or keep it all out. That is going to require a huge signage budget.

I find it funny that this sort of example will still draw many denials that fundamentalist forms of Christianity are not trying to force their views on others.

12. whirlingmerc

whirlingmerc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +559
    Religion:
    Christian
    ''

I have to agree... I don't see any evidence this is true what I see is this

Purpose:
    require the national motto of the United States to be displayed in public schools.

13. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +15,896
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    It really wouldn't be because we don't need to be fighting against two religions who want to bend legislation to follow their religious dogma.

14. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Libertarian Capitalist Atheist Bokononist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38,945
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    Have some people not yet figured out what is going in in this thread?

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +7,656
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    I think most have it figured out. It's just that it's so much fun to talk about it the other way.

16. Samantha Rinne

Samantha Rinne Active Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Religion:
    Follower (and Writer) of the Mune Shinri
    Forgive if I seem skeptical about TONS in public/state grounds. In PRIVATE schools and in RELIGIOUS schools, you might see this.
    [​IMG]

However, in public schools, they are largely governed by the state, and you tend to get more ummm secular posters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See, no religious posters...

[​IMG]

How'd that get there?

Also, you're missing the point. I'm been to South Dakota. I stopped at a rest stop which was three feet from a church. I've been to Wall Drug. Seen Mount Rushmore nearby. Having this at their schools is not the same as South Dakota being nutso fundie. Rather it's a sort of atmosphere of paranoia that suddenly the state is ruling that all schools must have such signs in their school. "Or else what?" Exactly. Will the SWAT teams come in with tear gas to shut down "Christian extremists"?

This is big scary government deciding to undermine the beliefs of most of the people in the state (if they knew about this).

17. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,591
    Does not appear to be a true story.

18. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +15,896
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    You seem to be missing the point that there is no shortage of Christians using the American state to endorse Christianity. To require "in god we trust" be on display is to take a step backwards towards the days of Christian prayer being held by public schools. The South Dakota bill isn't an isolated incident but rather part of a much larger trend.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dan From Smithville

Dan From Smithville Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,116
    Religion:
    Methodist
    The one in the OP is definitely not, but my thoughts on the general subject would still be the same.

20. Stevicus

Stevicus Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,104
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I think we should change the national motto to "In Grog We Trust."

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1