• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Souls Must Be Created...?

Have you ever thought that maybe it isn't the individual soul that is immortal, but what the soul IS that is immortal? Just follow me here. If god is actually a spiritual "essence" of sorts, an essence that permeates through all life and all existence, the "spark" of life, then we are all parts of it anyway. Our souls are indiviual "peices" of this immortal essence yet still tied to the whole. When, exactly, they are broken away to partake in physical existence and when they may return to the whole may be different for all, but that doesn't diminish the fact that WHAT they are is immortal, even if the individual peices don't exist individually for all time. Does that make any sense to you?
It does make sense, just never came across it before (gave me another 20 years and maybe) I always thought souls as of as free roaming entities. While they can be at one with the whole (God, right?) they engage in physical activities to earn that privillage... I know spelt privellage wrong....

Draka

Wonder Woman
It does make sense, just never came across it before (gave me another 20 years and maybe) I always thought souls as of as free roaming entities. While they can be at one with the whole (God, right?) they engage in physical activities to earn that privillage... I know spelt privellage wrong....

Well, if you give them a starting point (the essense itself) then the idea of "returning" makes more sense doesn't it? And if all souls are parts of the whole and return to the whole, then every experience, every bit of knowledge they have gained, is added to the whole. This also works well with the idea of Jung's called the "Collective Unconscious". Thus, as humanity progresses, so to does "god".

challupa

Well, if you give them a starting point (the essense itself) then the idea of "returning" makes more sense doesn't it? And if all souls are parts of the whole and return to the whole, then every experience, every bit of knowledge they have gained, is added to the whole. This also works well with the idea of Jung's called the "Collective Unconscious". Thus, as humanity progresses, so to does "god".
Yes I believe that was the idea behind what I read. It was not that souls were any less divine than God just the power ability if that makes sense. Kind of like computers in a network with the mainframe computer being the most powerful and the others limited and less powerful, but still connected to source (the mainframe) and therefore a part of the whole system. I got the impression that souls while on their own journey were also sources' feedback, in other words, as they progressed and had experiences so did their source. They were both a work in progress.

Troublemane

what is a soul but the part of us which reflects/connects with the divine unity? I think its like asking...are new raindrops formed each time it rains? or are they the same raindrops eternally appearing, then evaporating? :D

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Well in Christianity all souls were created sometime after God created the universe. We lived with God and the angels for several thousands of years before we came to this earth age we live in today. After we pass the tribulation of this life we return to God and continue our immortal existence with Him. Falter during the tribulation results in execution of your soul night-night poof you never existed.

Well in Christianity all souls were created sometime after God created the universe. We lived with God and the angels for several thousands of years before we came to this earth age we live in today. After we pass the tribulation of this life we return to God and continue our immortal existence with Him. Falter during the tribulation results in execution of your soul night-night poof you never existed.
Do you believe this?

Draka

Wonder Woman
Yes I believe that was the idea behind what I read. It was not that souls were any less divine than God just the power ability if that makes sense. Kind of like computers in a network with the mainframe computer being the most powerful and the others limited and less powerful, but still connected to source (the mainframe) and therefore a part of the whole system. I got the impression that souls while on their own journey were also sources' feedback, in other words, as they progressed and had experiences so did their source. They were both a work in progress.

I like the analogy with the computers. Though there really isn't a breaking away and returning with them, the idea of what information they gather being accumulated to the main and shared through all though is a very good comparison to how souls may be viewed.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I am of the not so common belief of multiple dimensions while the Spirit world/Astral plain being the Hub between them all. Now when one dies(or what every you wish to call it), one can decide to go to any other world(or maybe just gets thrown to another one). Why so many would want to come to this one is beyond me.

challupa

I like the analogy with the computers. Though there really isn't a breaking away and returning with them, the idea of what information they gather being accumulated to the main and shared through all though is a very good comparison to how souls may be viewed.
True, maybe it's just a software glitch! :D

challupa

I am of the not so common belief of multiple dimensions while the Spirit world/Astral plain being the Hub between them all. Now when one dies(or what every you wish to call it), one can decide to go to any other world(or maybe just gets thrown to another one). Why so many would want to come to this one is beyond me.
That's the thing for sure. Earth is considered by those with this theory to be one of the most challenging, but in the end most conducive to growth and learning.:shrug:

what if they used to be just in a another body? like when the earth started all 6 billion were singlecelled organisms these days the reincarnated people just found out how to control even more cells

EverChanging

I must be honest that these are some pleasant ideas (some of them), yet I'm bewildered that anyone could have any certainty or confidence in them. I understand that many are just giving ideas, not necessarily actual beliefs, yet many people do believe. On the other hand, I once had some similar ideas in which I had belief, though over time as I continued to explore my worldview I became much more skeptical.

I don't believe in a soul, but my worldview is very similar to those who talk about a soul separating from the whole and being absorbed into it again. The whole for me is the universe itself. The elements of which my body is composed are the same elements throughout the universe, and they have been here as long as the universe has. Right now they are composed in such a way as to constitute the human organism that "I" perceive as "myself." Eventually those elements will decompose and merge once again with the universe, and I will no longer have any individuality or mind. I will be one with everything just as before I was born, and yet I'm already one with everything now. We are star stuff, for the stars formed the heavier elements that went on to form ourselves. We are of the earth, the stuff of the universe.

When my body decomposes, my elements will go on, in animals and plants. My actions will live on in the way I have effected others in this "interconnected web of life." If I procreate, part of my genes will live on, genes that are heir to billions of years of evolutionary history.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Thief here...
I believe in life after death.
The soul is that portion that carries on.

The body is that portion by which we each obtain a unique perspective and collection of experiences.

Here in this life your thoughts and feelings are shielded.
Unless you say so, or write it down...no one knows what is inside of you.
This will pass away. When the body fails...we then have each other...as we truly are.
Never can be hidden...all that you really are can be seen by all others.

Troublemane

if all energy is travelling at light speed and our souls are just bio-energy, bound in a material state (call this the particle state, death the "wave state") then the moment we become unbound we reach lightspeed.

now, any student of einstein knows that as lght speed is acheived, space and time shrink relatively to zero. and since time and space are really one thing, as time goes to zero so does space (if time for you slows to zero then you have all eternity to travel an infinite distance and for you it will appear as no time has passed)..so the universe would appear to shrink down to a single point of infinite light...sound familiar?

this point would be the intersection of all existence.

ok, ive said too much, LoL, im giving away too many secrets... *waits for the spanish inquisition to show up....

EverChanging

if all energy is travelling at light speed and our souls are just bio-energy, bound in a material state (call this the particle state, death the "wave state") then the moment we become unbound we reach lightspeed.

now, any student of einstein knows that as lght speed is acheived, space and time shrink relatively to zero. and since time and space are really one thing, as time goes to zero so does space (if time for you slows to zero then you have all eternity to travel an infinite distance and for you it will appear as no time has passed)..so the universe would appear to shrink down to a single point of infinite light...sound familiar?

this point would be the intersection of all existence.

ok, ive said too much, LoL, im giving away too many secrets... *waits for the spanish inquisition to show up....

Here is a more simple explanation that doesn't require hypothesizing souls for which we have no evidence:

Susan Blackmore’s neural-noise theory. In 1989, Tom Troscianko and Susan Blackmore reasoned that there were more nerve cells within the visual cortex representing the central parts of the retina than there were representing its peripheral parts. A computer simulation of increasing neural noise in the visual cortex induced by drugs or disease revealed a blob of white light gradually increasing in size, which, when viewed on a screen, gave viewers the sensation of moving down a tunnel toward a bright light and finally being enveloped by the light (Blackmore 1991). An elegant idea, but it neglects basic facts, such as the relative oxygen consumptions of retina and brain, as well as the fact that people can “see the light” while at the same time seeing things around them. These facts render the neural-noise theory an inadequate explanation of tunnel and light experiences, except perhaps for situations where there is epileptic nerve activity within the visual cortex.

You might enjoy Susan Blackmore's Beyond the Body.

Darkness, Tunnels, and Light (Skeptical Inquirer May 2004)

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Do you believe this?

Yeah I do. Book of Peter goes into this quite a bit actually. Of course when you are born into flesh your memories of your spirit life are blocked from you for your time here on earth. Once you die and return to God to be judged, all your memories are returned to you. These spiritual memories sometimes leak through and this is why people believe in reincarnation, past lives, and what not.

Also I am sure you have heard some people talking here and there of either having an old soul or what not. I personally have an old soul, because I have never gotten along with people my age or younger. Even at like 15 I preferred to hang out with 60 year olds because I could talk to them all day and night, whereas people my age and younger drive me bonkers.

Some people can come quite close to recovering their spiritual memories in the flesh, but not all because the human brain can not retain thousands of years of memory and stay sane/functional. That is what I believe as far as souls are concerned.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Thief here...Hey Enoch...
I see your last post has stood ground for awhile.

Allow me a moment of digression....

I cannot affirm pre-life memories. (How would anyone do so?)
But in many occasions...people around me watch what I do..or listen to what I say...and then they ask...'how did you know that....as if you've done this before?'

In high school...shop class was required...for one semester.
Last semester of high school and I was told...must do...or no diploma.
And how does someone with a 4.3 grade average allow himself to fail?
I took wood shop.
I built a round bellied lute-like instrument.
As I worked...my efforts flowed one step to another.
The teacher could not assist...he did not know how to.
My fingers bled.
Time ran out and the instrument had no fret board.
Still... I took the 'industrial award' that year.
Everyone around me could see...something was 'going on'.

The rest of my life seems to be 'going on' in the same way.