• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soul Sleep, Soul Death, or Conscious Afterlife

Sees

Dragonslayer
I will say number one and three but not number two, no scripture though....

Ghosts are real enough, among other things hard/impossible to describe.

I know that people who only believe in the Bible teaching soul/spirit death/sleep will just say people knowing or experiencing such are confused by demons though.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Please present you best arguments from Scripture to support them.

Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten

Psalm 115:17 The dead themselves do not praise Jah, Nor do any going down into silence.

Psalm 146:4 His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; In that day his thoughts do perish.

Isaiah 38:18 For it is not She′ol that can laud you; death itself cannot praise you. Those going down into the pit cannot look hopefully to your trueness.

John 11:11 He said these things, and after this he said to them: “Laz′a·rus our friend has gone to rest, but I am journeying there to awaken him from sleep.”

Psalm 104:29 If you conceal your face, they get disturbed. If you take away their spirit, they expire, And back to their dust they go.

Genesis 3:19 In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.”

Ecclesiastes 3:20 All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust.

Ezekiel 18:4*Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so likewise the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul that is sinning—it itself will die

Judges 16:30 And Samson proceeded to say: “Let my soul die with the Phi·lis′tines.”

Acts 3:23 Indeed, any soul that does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people.’

Romans 6:23 For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Thanks Pegg. Hopefully some with opposing views (and scriptures) will come forward.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Please present you best arguments from Scripture to support them.

Conscious afterlife:

Luke 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and that he was carried away by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: and the rich man also died, and was buried.
23 And in Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Benoni

The Apostle Peter explained that "Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is eight souls were saved by water." (I Pet.3:18-20). Obviously, since those disobedient spirits were from the days of Noah, Jesus preached to the dead. Here is a clear inference that death is NOT the end of the story! I can't leave this passage without commenting on the fact that Jesus went to hell to preach to those languishing there, showing us that there is nowhere too far removed for God to go after his wayward children. If we make our bed in hell, the Psalmist declares, we will find Him there. (Ps. 139:8). The word hell, in most instances in the New Testament should be translated "Hades," meaning only the resting place of the dead, not the everlasting flames of torment that the church says it means.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The Apostle Peter explained that "Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is eight souls were saved by water." (I Pet.3:18-20). Obviously, since those disobedient spirits were from the days of Noah, Jesus preached to the dead. Here is a clear inference that death is NOT the end of the story! I can't leave this passage without commenting on the fact that Jesus went to hell to preach to those languishing there, showing us that there is nowhere too far removed for God to go after his wayward children. If we make our bed in hell, the Psalmist declares, we will find Him there. (Ps. 139:8). The word hell, in most instances in the New Testament should be translated "Hades," meaning only the resting place of the dead, not the everlasting flames of torment that the church says it means.

the only spirits Jesus could have preached to were the rebellious angels, demons.

The bible tells us that humans become unconscious when they die, they can't experience anything after death...the do not exist anymore. But angels are spirits who exist and these are the ones Jesus preached to.

Benoni

the only spirits Jesus could have preached to were the rebellious angels, demons.

The bible tells us that humans become unconscious when they die, they can't experience anything after death...the do not exist anymore. But angels are spirits who exist and these are the ones Jesus preached to.
You JW have it wrong again, That is not who the it addrresses.

the just for the unjust,
preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is eight souls were saved by water.

" (I Pet.3:18-20). Obviously, since those disobedient spirits were from the days of Noah, Jesus preached to the dead. Here is a clear inference that death is NOT the end of the story!

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
You JW have it wrong again, That is not who the it addrresses.

the just for the unjust,
preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is eight souls were saved by water.

" (I Pet.3:18-20). Obviously, since those disobedient spirits were from the days of Noah, Jesus preached to the dead. Here is a clear inference that death is NOT the end of the story!

why would Jesus preach only to these 'people' from the days of Noah???

what about all the other people who have died since that time? Why does the verse not tell us that he preached to 'everyone' who has died? Why only to the spirits who were alive in Noahs day???

doesnt that seem at all odd to you??

Benoni

what about all the other people who have died since that time? Why does the verse not tell us that he preached to 'everyone' who has died? Why only to the spirits who were alive in Noahs day???

I am sure He does.

God likes to hide these deep things.

Prov 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

David declared in Ps 139:7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? 8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. 9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; 10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. 12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
KJV

nazz

Doubting Thomas

The whole passage seems odd to me. It doesn't flow. I'm not sure those two things are connected at all.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Does not flow with what? Your preconceived understanding?

No, the sentence structure does not flow. It doesn't make much sense. I looked at the Greek and it really is no better. If nothing else it is a run on sentence.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I am sure He does.

God likes to hide these deep things.

Prov 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

David declared in Ps 139:7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? 8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. 9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; 10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. 12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
KJV

he likes to hide things???

He certainly reveals a lot within the pages of the bible though.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The whole passage seems odd to me. It doesn't flow. I'm not sure those two things are connected at all.

it would be very odd if Jesus preached only to the people who died in noahs day and not all of mankind....unless of course its not about the 'people' of noahs day but about the 'spirits' of Noahs day.

Then it makes a whole lot of sense. The spirits are the angels. The bible calls them spirits in a number of verses, ie Psalms 104:4*Making his angels spirits, His ministers a devouring fire

1 Kings 22:21 Finally a spirit came out and stood before Jehovah and said, ‘I myself shall fool him.’ At that Jehovah said to him, ‘By what means?

So angels are called spirits....and the spirits in noahs day are the ones who came down to have relations with the daughters of men....and from these were born the nephilim offspring.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
it would be very odd if Jesus preached only to the people who died in noahs day and not all of mankind....unless of course its not about the 'people' of noahs day but about the 'spirits' of Noahs day.

Then it makes a whole lot of sense. The spirits are the angels. The bible calls them spirits in a number of verses, ie Psalms 104:4*Making his angels spirits, His ministers a devouring fire

1 Kings 22:21 Finally a spirit came out and stood before Jehovah and said, ‘I myself shall fool him.’ At that Jehovah said to him, ‘By what means?

So angels are called spirits....and the spirits in noahs day are the ones who came down to have relations with the daughters of men....and from these were born the nephilim offspring.

Does make some sense. Could be.