• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

soul sleep question

Frank Goad

How does Ps. 146:4 go with prov 23:14?I am confused.:( Because in ps 146:4 it sounds like you cease to exist at death.:(

Ellen Brown

Having never heard of it, a quick investigation reveals it is a pejorative term used in the 19th century.

Ellen Brown

I finally did get to look at the scriptures.

I think that the first on simply deals with death. It does say that their thoughts cease, but not all Christian denominations practice that the soul dies. Mormons, and some others practice pre-existence.

The second deals with the punishment of a child. I can not comment intelligently on that, having been punished and punished with the rod. Perhaps one would want to go before God with fear and trembling before the punishment. I was excessive and have lived to regret it. I won't write about my own.

Axe Elf

Prophet
How does Ps. 146:4 go with prov 23:14?I am confused.:( Because in ps 146:4 it sounds like you cease to exist at death.:(

Psalm 146 is talking about the "sleep" between death and judgment, during which time one is aware of nothing. You don't fully cease to exist unless you are destroyed in the lake of fire (the second death).

Proverbs 23 is talking about disciplining a child to save them from Sheol (the place of the dead). Like if you don't want your kid running into the street and getting trampled by a camel, you should discipline him when he tries running into the street.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

What translation do you prefer? It matters because the way scripture is rendered makes a big difference to how you understand what it means.

Compare the rendering in all of these popular translations......

e.g. Psalm 146:4 KJV...."His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish."

Proverbs 23:14 KJV says...."Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell."

ESV..."When his breath departs, he returns to the earth; on that very day his plans perish."

ESV..."If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol."

NASB...."His spirit departs, he returns to the earth; In that very day his thoughts perish."

NASB..."You shall strike him with the rod And rescue his soul from Sheol."

NLT..."When they breathe their last, they return to the earth, and all their plans die with them."

NLT..."Physical discipline may well save them from death"

RSV ...."When his breath departs he returns to his earth; on that very day his plans perish."

RSV..."If you beat him with the rod you will save his life from Sheol."

What differences do you see there?

"Sheol" is a Hebrew word corresponding to the Greek word “Hades.” It is translated “Grave” because that is exactly what sheol means. (Ecclesiastes 9:5: 10) Calling it "hell" gives a very incorrect connotation. There is no such place.

When you breathe your last breath, there is no longer a conscious "soul" (person). "Soul" in the Bible never means a disembodied spirit....it means a living, breathing creature or person.

Have you heard of "gehenna" ?