• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorry that I cannot stay here

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You should not, @Rival
I feel she should be, because this is a site for all people of all religions and none. And if someone joins what a forum that obviously uses the broad definition of religion and starts complaining about the presence of religion, laugh away. Saying they feel like they are again being shackled by it? Laugh even harder because no one is trying to force him into anything, and with this being an anonymous online forum where we don't have to deal with people in our real life the pressures are pretty much non-existent. I've been here several years, I did have to work very hard to remove Fundamentalist Evangelical shackles from my life, and not once have I ever felt those "oppressive shackles being placed back on."

BSM1

What? Me worry?
This.
If a person cannot handle opposing views, then RF is not the place for them. For me, it has been a good place to hear those different views and learn more about them and the people that have them.

This...plus you get to make fun of so many people without them knowing about it...

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That’s just it..... I think Phaedrus is not searching.

Agnostics may be searching, but those who identify as atheists are usually set....they don’t ask questions, they’d rather make statements.

If I’m wrong in my assessment, Phaedrus, I apologize. Do you ID as agnostic, or atheist?

Whatever you do, I wish you the best.
I think this is a hasty generalization. For many reasons.
Firstly (and one that has been discussed ad nauseum) is that agnostic and atheist aren't mutually exclusive terms. They are answers to two different questions and it's quite possible to be both.
Secondly because atheist doesn't mean irreligious and there are plenty of religious atheists and atheistic seekers, they're just not seeking a god as you see it. And being agnostic does not mean you are seeking, either. Some agnostics manifest as 'you do not and cannot know the answers, so there's no point seeking.'
Thirdly because being an atheist doesn't make you any more prone to 'not asking questions' than being a theist does. There are certainly plenty of stuck-in-mud atheists, but plenty of 'making statements, not questions' theists too.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
As an atheist I came to this forum specifically because of its inclusivity. Because it's incredibly boring to see atheists, Christians and Muslims go at it for eternity and I appreciate learning about diverse cultures, mindsets and, invariably, religious practices.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I think this is a hasty generalization. For many reasons.
Firstly (and one that has been discussed ad nauseum) is that agnostic and atheist aren't mutually exclusive terms. They are answers to two different questions and it's quite possible to be both.
Secondly because atheist doesn't mean irreligious and there are plenty of religious atheists and atheistic seekers, they're just not seeking a god as you see it. And being agnostic does not mean you are seeking, either. Some agnostics manifest as 'you do not and cannot know the answers, so there's no point seeking.'
Thirdly because being an atheist doesn't make you any more prone to 'not asking questions' than being a theist does. There are certainly plenty of stuck-in-mud atheists, but plenty of 'making statements, not questions' theists too.
I'm generalizing? From what you just told me, it seems the terms are not definitive.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"atheistic seekers" seeking....what, on a religious forum?
Atheist =/= irreligious, unspiritual, etc. Religion doesn't equate to theism. Further, since religion effects even the irreligious it makes sense why some would be interested in their stories, history and application even if they've no plans to adopt them.
I'm generalizing? From what you just told me, it seems the terms are not definitive.
In as much as language can be definitive, but there's a really wide variety of atheist belief systems, philosophies, etc. Which is why I'm much more specific with my terms than just 'atheist.' All atheist tells me is no belief in gods, not whether it's possible to know if gods exist (agnostic) or have beliefs regarding spirit or substance dualism or other non-god supernatural entities or forces (spiritualism) and ritual observances thereof (religion).

There's simply a lot more to spiritualism and religious belief than versions with gods in them.

I'm laughing at the atheists becoming upset because there are religious people with religious ideas on a religious forum.

"And I said 'OMG you totally believe in a sky daddy, an invisible daddy in the sky. LOL sky daddy in the sky. You can't even see him! ROFL' and he didn't immediately renounce his faith and bow to my superior wisdom and vast erudition. I can't abide such obtuseness."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"And I said 'OMG you totally believe in a sky daddy, an invisible daddy in the sky. LOL sky daddy in the sky. You can't even see him! ROFL' and he didn't immediately renounce his faith and bow to my superior wisdom and vast erudition. I can't abide such obtuseness."
Huh?

Absolutely not. But this is a forum for discussing any and all religious ideas. Who can say what should or should not be discussed or is 'too inclusive'? That's absurd.

I just went to have a look at an atheist forum to see what it was like, the first post I looked at was titled 'atheistic ethics' and posed the question "Are atheistic ethics superior to theistic/religious ethics?"

The first seven replies were some variation of "atheism is just a lack of belief in gods so there's no such thing as atheistic ethics"

source.gif

Still, they seem to have got groupthink down to a tee :D

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
*a theist shows up.*
Same atheist: excuse me would you be so inclined to have a polite, well mannered, not in bad faith debate with me about this subject? I could really use your help understanding it.

Phaedrus

Perhaps my departure was rather rash and unnecessarily dramatic.

Upon further reflection, instead of spewing an answer for the sake of what others want to hear, one thing I can state for certainty is that I am not here to seek anything in relation to religion. I have studied enough of religion in my lifetime to know that atheism is the only rational answer to the problem of religion and spirituality. I have also heard it all from religious people, why they believe, and in the end they simply prefer the comfort of the religious lie over reality. Many people will use an apologetic argument to invalidate my understanding of why someone else personally believes, but in the end we already know we can adequately understand how others think and why they think as they do via the source of psychology. If being the kind of atheist who will not emotionally cater to a believer's irrational way of thinking makes me hated by everyone here, so be it.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member

Upon further reflection, instead of spewing an answer for the sake of what others want to hear, one thing I can state for certainty is that I am not here to seek anything in relation to religion. I have studied enough of religion in my lifetime to know that atheism is the only rational answer to the problem of religion and spirituality. I have also heard it all from religious people, why they believe, and in the end they simply prefer the comfort of the religious lie over reality. Many people will use an apologetic argument to invalidate my understanding of why someone else personally believes, but in the end we already know we can adequately understand how others think and why they think as they do via the source of psychology. If being the kind of atheist who will not emotionally cater to a believer's irrational way of thinking makes me hated by everyone here, so be it.
Then why are you still here? If you're not looking for anything related to religion, then what?

Laika

Premium Member

Welcome back. ;)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

You're not hated. Just employing some of the same tactics seen in politics, such as "my way or the highway" approaches.

Laika

Premium Member
Then why are you still here? If you're not looking for anything related to religion, then what?

Reasons to throw off the chains of bondage and servitude whilst cursing the arbitrary cruelty of creation?

Isn't that what we all want? :D