• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sooo -- are viruses alive?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That cows and humans are genetically similar simply does not mean cows and humans are related by evolution. It means that they are genetically similar to an extent.

Yes. Their common ancestor goes back a ways. Ungulates and primates are rather different branches of mammals.

Ok, is that because you believe organisms change because they develop something better to adapt with?

The wording is strange here. Organisms evolve because a population has variations in its genetics and some variants survive better than others. That shifts the average in the direction of those variants that survive. over the course of generations, the changes are enough to classify the result as a different organism.

Evolution is simply the result of adaptation over the course of many generations. For the major changes you are thinking about, it may well be tens or hundreds of thousands of generations.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Yes. Their common ancestor goes back a ways. Ungulates and primates are rather different branches of mammals.

And that, my friend, is the reason I no longer go along with the theory of evolution. Regardless of similarity, or looks, it is that type of reasoning that I finally rejected the generally accepted and taught theory of evolution.

YoursTrue

The wording is strange here. Organisms evolve because a population has variations in its genetics and some variants survive better than others. That shifts the average in the direction of those variants that survive. over the course of generations, the changes are enough to classify the result as a different organism.

The change from one form of virus to another is not forming anything but another form of virus.

RestlessSoul

What I am saying by means of question and observation is that cows have, shall I call it, a rather different lifestyle than most normally functioning humans. When I pass by a farm, I see cows grazing all day long. Then of course, they have their bodily functions to take care of. But... that's about it. They don't plan trips, don't think of taking a vacation, starting a ballet company, etc. Their thinking, creativity and ingenuity, is a bit limited. So are, I daresay, ants and bonobos.

So they have more time to contemplate the majesty of God’s creation, and the miracle of their own being?

RestlessSoul

Good point about consideration of higher or lower forms of consciousness. According to the Bible, Adam and Eve were created in God's image. They were still to be subject to His rulership.

Adam and Eve wanted to be equal with God didn’t they? They ate the apple from the tree of knowledge because Satan persuaded them that if they did so, they would attain the knowledge God kept only for himself?

So all man’s suffering comes from his desire to replace God, to be in effect his own God? That’s pretty much John Milton’s reading (see Paradise Lost), and it makes sense to me.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The change from one form of virus to another is not forming anything but another form of virus.

Once again, it seems you have a distorted view of what is involved in evolution. Over the course of a limited number of generations, say 200, the changes in a population tends to be small.

But those small differences add up over more and more generations. It is all based on adaptation (natural selection).

And that, my friend, is the reason I no longer go along with the theory of evolution. Regardless of similarity, or looks, it is that type of reasoning that I finally rejected the generally accepted and taught theory of evolution.

Would it help to first think about whether cows and ox are similar enough to have a common ancestor? How about cows and buffalo? How about deer and reindeer? Deer and moose?

Start there. Understand that NONE of the deer we see today existed 2 million years ago. There were deer, but *different* deer. There were animals related to cows (which are very recent and produced by human domestication), but they were neither cows, nor ox.

And the ancestors of cows, ox, and buffalo were rather similar to the ancestors of deer, reindeer, and moose. And if you go back a bit further in the fossil record, the ancestors from 2 million years ago had common ancestors closer to 10 million years ago.

Similarly, house cats, bobcats, lions, tigers, sabertooth cats, etc all had a common ancestor not all that long ago--a few million years. If you go back, there were no cats like our pets. They simply didn't exist. But there was an ancestor of all modern cats that did exist. A similar thing can be said our dogs (although, again, a lot of dog variation has been since they were domesticated--poodles were a creation of humans). And, if you go back further, the ancestors of cats and the ancestors of dogs had a common ancestor. Again, we see this in the fossil record.

Changes such as these are *gradual*. They take time and a lot of generations. But the small changes from one generation to another lead to the larger changes which lead to the animals we see today.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here's a definition of life in list form which would omit viruses:

[1] active movement (may be subcellular only)

[2] obtain nutrients

[3] metabolize / channel and store energy / generate heat

[4] eliminate waste

[5] complex organization (organelles, organ systems)

[6] cellular

[7] organic

[8] growth / development

[9] reproduction / replication

[10] homeostasis / repair

[11] sensitive / responsive

[12] adapt / evolve / mutate

[13] similar biochemistry (proteins, ATP, DNA, etc.)

YoursTrue

I say....YES.....they are
You say, but is that what the scientific consensus is? Or..is it, um, conjecture based on whatever distinctions one may figure or be inclined to figure. And differences of opinions, educated in the discipline, none the less. I personally can't figure the whole thing out as to many things. I know they unearth skulls, bones, etc. But then...but then...it gets, in my opinion, cloudy as to figuring the linkage.

YoursTrue

Once again, it seems you have a distorted view of what is involved in evolution. Over the course of a limited number of generations, say 200, the changes in a population tends to be small.

But those small differences add up over more and more generations. It is all based on adaptation (natural selection).

Would it help to first think about whether cows and ox are similar enough to have a common ancestor? How about cows and buffalo? How about deer and reindeer? Deer and moose?

Start there. Understand that NONE of the deer we see today existed 2 million years ago. There were deer, but *different* deer. There were animals related to cows (which are very recent and produced by human domestication), but they were neither cows, nor ox.

And the ancestors of cows, ox, and buffalo were rather similar to the ancestors of deer, reindeer, and moose. And if you go back a bit further in the fossil record, the ancestors from 2 million years ago had common ancestors closer to 10 million years ago.

Similarly, house cats, bobcats, lions, tigers, sabertooth cats, etc all had a common ancestor not all that long ago--a few million years. If you go back, there were no cats like our pets. They simply didn't exist. But there was an ancestor of all modern cats that did exist. A similar thing can be said our dogs (although, again, a lot of dog variation has been since they were domesticated--poodles were a creation of humans). And, if you go back further, the ancestors of cats and the ancestors of dogs had a common ancestor. Again, we see this in the fossil record.

Changes such as these are *gradual*. They take time and a lot of generations. But the small changes from one generation to another lead to the larger changes which lead to the animals we see today.
Well, I can't answer that now about cows and oxen. I am not certain it would necessarily be adaptation yet without recourse. It could be. Then again, why not consider in that case that humans would evolve to chimpanzees or bonobos, or the supposed unknown common ancestor.

YoursTrue

[2] obtain nutrients

[4] eliminate waste

[6] cellular

[7] organic

[8] growth / development

Thank you.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

[2] obtain nutrients

[4] eliminate waste

[6] cellular

[7] organic

[8] growth / development

let's blow that off....and keep it simple

vaccines are sample bits of something.....DEAD

no one is injected with a LIVING specimen

science knows the difference
they KILL the virus......
they are SURE it is DEAD......
before you get the shot

to get the bits and pieces.....the specimen must DIE

YoursTrue

before you get the shot

Well yeah...if they say they kill the virus...now what does that mean? That it was "alive"? It has to attach itself to a host. And they say it dies if let's say it stays on a surface for a period of time. So it boils down to one's definition, doesn't it, of what constitutes life.

before you get the shot

Ok so you're teaching me...the viruses injected are not alive? If they're dead, why does the immune system attack them?

YoursTrue

A virus is microcosm vs. macro. Between the two, we shall eternally meet.
Oow I hope not. But the flesh can be corroded. There really is no meeting. God promises a resurrection. Not an in-between existence/nonexistence, consciousness/devoid of consciousness.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Ok so you're teaching me...the viruses injected are not alive? If they're dead, why does the immune system attack them?
GOOD QUESTION......thank you

it seems the immune system is reflex.....in chemistry
it simply responds to any foreign body
live or dead

science kills the bugger.....and does so on purpose
injects the specimen
and your body tries to kill it .....again

kinda like shooting the bad guy everytime you see him

and if someone picks up the body and props it standing
you shoot it again
on sight

it seems your body takes no chances
if it can.....it will
defend you

take a splinter.....it's dead
but your body will react to get rid of it

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

[2] obtain nutrients
[4] eliminate waste
[6] cellular
[7] organic
[8] growth / development

I prefer to not blow it off. My reason is the same as yours: simplicity. I find it helpful to have as clear and as simple a definition as possible in mind with any word, one that makes it easy to decide whether any given entity fulfills the definition or not. Too much simplicity at the definitional level leads to too much ambiguity and confusion later. Consider words like atheist and religion. An inability of people to come up with clear, simple definitions of such ideas underlies thousands of posts of people talking past one another making zero progress. This could well become another such topic, as people with no clear idea about what they mean by "alive" disagree about what is alive or even dead without knowing what one another mean.

This list is a set of characteristics that together are being called life. Things that fail to meet this definition are considered nonlife. If they formerly met this definition, they can be called dead or killed. All other things are not alive and never were. By this reckoning, that includes viruses.

Living things are dissipative structures that organize themselves around and channel energy. As such, they exist in a far-from-equilibrium state that they require that energy to maintain (homeostasis), and which ends with death, as the organism begin to decompose and return to equilibrium, as when the then become room temperature.

A virus begins in equilibrium with its surroundings, like a crystal, which is a lot of what it means to not be alive.

Unlike what is being called life here, viruses don't need an energy source and nutrients to survive and reproduce. They don't repair themselves, they don't grow but rather are assembled full size, they have no moving parts, they don't use sex (merging gametes) or division (meiosis/mitosis) to reproduce because they are not cellular but instead turn to organisms made of a cell or cells to do that for them. They can be lysed, for example, but they can't be poisoned or starved or asphyxiated, since they don't metabolize. They can't be attracted or repulsed. Their organization is simple: nucleic acids encased in a protein cover, like a Tootsie Roll Pop.

You are free to use your own definition if you like, but it would be helpful if you could say what it is so that others will know what kinds of things you mean to include or exclude when you use the word.

As I wrote, we don't normally call things that were never living dead.

Also, the thread is about whether viruses are alive, not anti-viral vaccines. The two are not synonymous. Neither is alive by the definition for life I suggested.

The word we use for a virion that can cause infection is virulent, meaning the ability to overcome host defenses and cause disease. Sometimes, these are weakened first, then injected intact - so-called attenuated vaccines. in virology and immunology, a "live" viral vaccine is a metaphor an attenuated viral vaccine, and a "killed" vaccine is just a metaphor for an injected inactivated virus. Infection is possible if the virus isn't sufficiently inactivated.

Are you aware that some of the new vaccines are not viruses, but just strands of messenger RNA (mRNA) excised from viral RNA that direct us to produce pieces of the outer shell of the virus such as the spikes that allow them to attach to human cells, but by themselves rather than as part an intact virus (virion) to stimulate an immune response? Unlike vaccines made from whole viruses, these pieces of a virion can't cause infection.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Consider words like atheist and religion.
neither is science
and both end up dead

let's keep it simple

a living infection will perform.....and you will suffer
a dead injection.....you will suffer

the degree of suffering is different because the dead version
will not reproduce

YoursTrue

before you get the shot

All right, so despite differences of scientific opinion as to whether it's dead or alive, here's another interesting little tidbit about the virus: (from the New York Times 4/8).
"This week the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its guidelines on the dangers of coronavirus infection from touching a doorknob, a subway pole, or other surface. The risk is extremely low." So I guess it "dies" in time without a living susceptible host. Or maybe it just collapses, dehydrates, or whatever else it does to render itself not alive, sickening, dangerous, etc. However it's described. Language is a problem sometimes, isn't it?