• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Son!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Mate. Half my nieces are actually older than me so they have to call me Aunty to be respectful. Lol
Most of the time I just call my relies whatever term they tell me because it’s confusing as hell.

An old slang term here for woman is “Sheila” which also happens to be a common name in my mother’s culture. You can imagine her confusion when first arriving here and my dad calling every woman he saw “Shiela.”

Most older guys call me “love” as I’m a woman. It’s since been phased out for my generation since it’s now seen as demeaning (only older guys can get away with saying it.)
And of course in Australia every single person regardless of gender, age, race etc is called “mate.”
So I mean language is…odd to say the least.

I like mate. It seems friendly and jovial.

Sheila would confuse me, too! Where did that come from?

Got any biker boots you no longer have need of?

I do have a pair, but I'm afraid I still wear them too much to be rid of them...

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Another language issue he's struggled with is the 'ma'am'/'sir' thing. In the south, its almost required you address anyone older than you by this. In the north, calling a woman 'ma'am' is likely to get you bopped on the head.

It appears it makes most women feel 'old', and they don't like it. He is, however, incapable of stopping it, and sometimes upsets people because of it. (He will genuinely try, but still slip back into it.)

Should this be in a different forum?

I'll let you create that thread.. :p

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
What do you think? How would you feel being called "son" by a person of your own age group? What about someone older/younger? (And this applies to women, too, as I and my female friend am getting called "son", too in these instances.) I'm curious if perhaps there is a nuance here, and I'm just being overly sensitive.

Yes, its probably alcohol fueled, but I have never excused rude behavior just because one is drunk.

It can be patronizing for sure. But it depends who is saying it, how, and why.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Another language issue he's struggled with is the 'ma'am'/'sir' thing. In the south, its almost required you address anyone older than you by this. In the north, calling a woman 'ma'am' is likely to get you bopped on the head.

It appears it makes most women feel 'old', and they don't like it. He is, however, incapable of stopping it, and sometimes upsets people because of it. (He will genuinely try, but still slip back into it.)

I'll let you create that thread.. :p

This is habit for me, since the military. Yes sir, no ma'am etc.

I find it a sign of respect for the person/position they are in. If they don't like it, that says more about them, then my usage of it.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I find it a sign of respect for the person/position they are in. If they don't like it, that says more about them, then my usage of it.

I find here in Iowa, only women mind it. I've never heard a man object to being called sir. I also find it relates to insecurity regarding age... which also makes me wonder why we're so horrified at getting older.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I find here in Iowa, only women mind it. I've never heard a man object to being called sir. I also find it relates to insecurity regarding age... which also makes me wonder why we're so horrified at getting older.

Mortality? Or Vanity. Usually

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'm from Indiana, and I was taught that "sir/ma'am" was the polite way to address people. Never heard of anyone taking exception to it before. It displays respect; not sure what age would have to do with it.

Where? I don't think I've ever come across "son" being used like that.

I have. I'm in Yorkshire. Maybe it's just local to where I am.

'Son' is used down South as a term of endearment too. Perhaps it's not used so much nowadays, but it was fairly commonplace in London in the 70s and 80s at least: "nice one, my son!" etc., and who could forget that naff old football song "nice one Cyril, nice one son, nice one Cyril, let's 'ave another one!" And I remember Del and Rodney would say it now and again in Only Fools and Horses, etc...

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm from Indiana, and I was taught that "sir/ma'am" was the polite way to address people. Never heard of anyone taking exception to it before. It displays respect; not sure what age would have to do with it.

I guess its one of the few ways Iowa and Indiana differ.

Invariably, women say "don't call me ma'am! You make me feel like I'm... an old person!"

I don't really like being called ma'am, but its because it reminds me of a sandwich. I have no logical reason to feel this way, I just do. Sir is fine, though.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I like mate. It seems friendly and jovial.

Sheila would confuse me, too! Where did that come from?
I’m not entirely sure. I think it’s a very old slang term though. So it’s mostly used by older generations. And like most of Aussie slang it sounds like a drunk person tried to learn English and decided to speak to someone. So perhaps a misspeak at a BBQ? :shrug:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I guess its one of the few ways Iowa and Indiana differ.

Invariably, women say "don't call me ma'am! You make me feel like I'm... an old person!"

I don't really like being called ma'am, but its because it reminds me of a sandwich. I have no logical reason to feel this way, I just do. Sir is fine, though.
You'll hear that a lot in Indiana as well.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

A sandwich....

I've never been a sandwich (that I remember). BRB grabbing the mayo.

exchemist

Veteran Member
"Mate" is as much as likely to be taken as patronising.
I recall a Peter Kay show where he was recounting going through customs. The customs officer referred to him as "mate", to which he replied "I'm not your ******* mate."
It implies a level of friendship or acquaintance that isn't there.
I see it used on RF and I'm not always sure which way to take it (especially if the person is not English). The tone and context make it apparent IRL.
I had much the same reaction to “buddy” when I was in Houston. Hated it.