• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Son of God

Clear

Premium Member
katzpur;

I also, have considered what it means that Jesus was THE son of God given the context that all may be or become "sons of God" (I assume "daughters of God" is to be understood as well...). The concept of what it is to be a "father" or a "son" seems to be tied up in symbolism that is deeper than we normally "delve into".

We americans say for example, that George Washington is "The Father of our country", or that Alexander Graham Bell is "The Father of the telephone". I think such descriptions attempt to describe the relationship one has in organizing or bringing into existence a completed "thing" such as a country or a telephone. I think to apply this same logic and usage of the term "father" to God the Father's relationship to the Son is only partly adequate.

It may be correct to speculate that God the Father is the Father of the son in that he organizes the native intelligence, character, and personality of his "son" into being and thus is his "father" in this way. It may be also that the intelligence and personality of the individual known as the "son of God" chose to follow the character of the Lord God and thus we can describe the Lord God as his Father (in a similar fashion that those who choose evil are described as having Satan as "their father").

I think one could speculate that the individual intelligence, character and personality of the son was (in eons past), so remarkably wonderful in all it's moral and intelligent aspects that the Lord God "chose" him as his "son" in a type of "adoption" as "the" son (which may simply be the best way to describe their relationship.. I don't know).

Such speculations become more interesting (though perhaps not more clear) when considering what these questions might have meant in the earliest christianities. For example, In John 1:18, what did it mean when, after saying that "no man has ever seen God" the greek text then reads "the only begotten God ("μονογενησ θεοσ") who is in the bosom of the Father, has made him known"

This text is obviously in reference to the Son of God (Jesus) as "the only begotten God". What did this description of an "only begotten God" mean to these earliest christians who wrote the texts? (modern christians are not used to a concept of a God being "begotten")

Was the son somehow a God who became a "son", or was he a "son" who was "begotten" or adopted and became a "god"?
Did both things happen at once?
Such specific speculations seem very difficult to answer perhaps because the earliest christians also did not know; or, if they knew, they did not describe in detail the earliest christian beliefs on this question.

I do think it is an interesting question to which we lack sufficient specific detailed data. (or at least I lack the data to answer it).

See you Katzpur

Clear
eifudrvi

Last edited:
If he is really the son why this important fact was not active at the times where Torah of Jews appeared.Why Jews are not worshiping him
If he existed only after his mother Mary appeared is he half God & half human.
Sorry how Mary could get him. If he had genetic parts from Mary did the other parts existed before Mary

gdemoss

servant
He is the actual son of God. In Heaven before Creation they had fellowship together, planned the Creation and human history. What may be confusing is that he didn't need a mother until he took part in humanity. How and when he was begotten is a mystery (asexual I suppose). God did not tell us. What he did tell us was that Christ became 100% man. He said anyone who denies this fact is an Antichrist. He left off being in the form of God and simply became Jesus the man who is the son of God. His personality or character had not changed. His form and abilities did. The bible tells us that the boy Jesus grew in wisdom and favor with God and man. Something God cannot do. It also tells us that he was anointed with the Holy Spirit and power. After which time we begin to see miracles for in him was the fullness of the Godhead bodily. We see in the end that God left his son to die upon the cross alone as Jesus cries out father why have you forsaken me. And of course he was then resurrected and given authority over all Creation. The authority he did not possess before.

starchild

I believe he is the literal son of God ,with added dust or flesh as we see it, in order for us to precieve him and what we needed to watch he complete for us.

When you think of Jesus Christ as the Son of God, do you think of Him as a literal son or as a symbolic/metaphorical/figurative son? Why?

The OT referred to the messiah as the son of man.
There was no need to say son of man, as that would be assumed, right? UNLESS there was something extraordinarily different and that he was a son of Man would be questioned.

As a man, the son of Man was called the son of God.

I don't have to think of either of your scenarios. What I have to do is learn to love my neighbor, and to love Him, and to love both correctly. If I get that right, His particular relationship is irrelevant. I don't take a test to get in. :)

Johnlove

I have seen Jesus, and he has personally told me he is God.

Jesus told us that he would show himself to those who love him.

(John 14:21) “Anybody who receives my commandments and keeps them will be one who loves me; and anybody who loves me will be loved by My Father, and I shall love him and show myself to him.”

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I have seen Jesus, and he has personally told me he is God.
Jesus told us that he would show himself to those who love him.
(John 14:21) “Anybody who receives my commandments and keeps them will be one who loves me; and anybody who loves me will be loved by My Father, and I shall love him and show myself to him.”

How does Jesus showing himself to those who love him equate to Jesus being God ?
Doesn't Jesus say at John 6:46 say that Not that any man has seen the Father ( aka God ) ______ People saw Jesus.
Doesn't Exodus 33:20 say humans can Not see God and live ? _______ People saw Jesus and lived.
Doesn't gospel writer John say that No man has seen God at any time ? ________ People saw Jesus.
What does gospel writer John say about Jesus at 1 John 4:12 ?