• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Son of God and Son of Man

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
the character jesus was called both the son of man and the son of god; which was he?

which are the rest of humanity?

Aiviu

IMO. He had no or accept no fatherly influence except God. His spirit had grown through God.

Phantasman

the character jesus was called both the son of man and the son of god; which was he?

Jesus was son of man. Christ is son of God. One is of flesh, one is of spirit. We are son of man, but can become "sons" of God as well.

John 1:12-13

The prequel of the gospel message.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

He was the son of David too which I see as being a Messianic title.

What does it mean that Jesus is the son of David?

Son of God represents His exalted station that He could reflect God's will more perfectly than any man.

Son of man represents His being part of the world of humanity as well as the Divine.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Jesus was son of man. Christ is son of God. One is of flesh, one is of spirit. We are son of man, but can become "sons" of God as well.

John 1:12-13

The prequel of the gospel message.

as an understanding, believing on the name makes everything the son of god, not just self. at that point in space/time self becomes aware of god's omnipresence in everything, everywhere.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
He was the son of David too which I see as being a Messianic title.

What does it mean that Jesus is the son of David?

Son of God represents His exalted station that He could reflect God's will more perfectly than any man.

Son of man represents His being part of the world of humanity as well as the Divine.

And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. ...

son of god

I believe he was both. And disciples of Jesus can also be children of God. But I don’t think all are children of God.

But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God's children, to those who believe in his name:
John 1:12

He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I believe he was both. And disciples of Jesus can also be children of God. But I don’t think all are children of God.

But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God's children, to those who believe in his name:
John 1:12

He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

jesus didn't disagree with malachi

Malachi 2
10 Do we not all have one Father? Did not one God create us? Why do we profane the covenant of our ancestors by being unfaithful to one another?

actually, i think he agreed with malachi

Matthew 23:9
9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.

jesus didn't disagree with malachi

Malachi 2
10 Do we not all have one Father? Did not one God create us? Why do we profane the covenant of our ancestors by being unfaithful to one another?

actually, i think he agreed with malachi

Matthew 23:9
9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.

Important thing is to notice, to whom it was said.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Important thing is to notice, to whom it was said.
then the bible isn't meant for anyone that it wasn't said to?

makes you wonder how a christian, then becomes a christian when it wasn't said to them because they didn't exist then, or the speaker wasn't directly addressing them.

the characters may change but the truth doesn't change because of people.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
The Son of Man is the Son of God.

Jesus always referred to himself as the Son of Man, in an attempt to discourage confusion. He knew however, that confusion would come irrespective of his efforts.

He never referred to himself as the Messiah/Christ, or the Lord/God, or even as Rabbi/Teacher. He always referred to himself as the Son of Man, so that some might begin to understand who they are. The Word of God became the flesh that we all are. We all are anointed with Spirit of God. We are the Son of God, along with all creation. There is one Teacher; the Spirit of God; the Spirit of Truth, and because we have all been anointed; all know God from the least, the greatest will serve the least, and righteous praise is revealed from the mouths of babes.

We are all sons and daughters of Adam, i.e. the Son of Man. Why is this important to remember? We are required to ingest, and digest the knowledge of good, with the knowledge of evil. We are required to grow in wisdom, as Jesus himself had. And, this is also a rebuke of self-righteousness, which is rooted in the illusion of free will. God is all-knowing and all-powerful; the only Good. Evil results from ignorance and inability. Jesus attests to this by saying, "you, being evil."

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

I believe,Jesus was neither God nor Son of God, he was just a human being appointed by G-d a messenger/prophet.
Regards

then the bible isn't meant for anyone that it wasn't said to?

makes you wonder how a christian, then becomes a christian when it wasn't said to them because they didn't exist then, or the speaker wasn't directly addressing them.

the characters may change but the truth doesn't change because of people.

Bible is meant to all and the offer to become disciple of Jesus is for all people. But the promises for disciples of Jesus are for them, not for those who are not disciples of Jesus. Similarly, as the promises that were made for Jews, are for Jews, not for other people.

jhwatts

He was known as both. I spent a lot of time studying this and I am sure reference Son of man has something to do with the early creation of the earth and when He was there.

For example in

Proverbs 8: (22-36)

22 The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old. 23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was. 24 When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water. 25 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth: 26 While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world. * * 27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth: * 28 When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep: 29 When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth: 30 Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him; 31 Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men. 32 Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways. 33 Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not. 34 Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. 35 For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the Lord. *36 But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.

In the began He was consider a or the Son of man. Notice the part about the habitable part of the earth.

Mathew 12:40

40 "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Notice now when he when into the earth (the inhabitable part) He was called Son of man. What ever is in the inhabitable parts of the earth new him as a or the Son of man.

There more to this but this is it in a nut shell. The title Son of God is self explanatory.

jhwatts

sons of god are angels. angels are messengers. prophets are messengers. prophets are sons of god

Sorry, it is a wrong notion. G-d has no wife, no sons and no daughters literally or physically, please.

Regards

There are other sons of God and not what is labeled as strictly angels. Adam was a son of God. He was a physical son of God. See the genealogy of Christ in Luke 3.

Luke 3:38 38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

There are other direct creations or offspring of God.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
There are other sons of God and not what is labeled as strictly angels. Adam was a son of God. He was a physical son of God. See the genealogy of Christ in Luke 3.

Luke 3:38 38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

There are other direct creations or offspring of God.
For Adam becoming Son of God, God must have a wife who gave birth to Adam. Did it happen, please?
If yes please quote such verse/s.

Regards