• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sometimes the burqa makes me sick

Do you agree that certain forms of the burqa should be banned

• Yes

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I voted Yes. I don't understand the Muslim position on this. If its to stop men's lecherous intentions or protect women, it seems extreme to put it mildly.

The argument about religious freedom is flawed because religious freedom like most things needs limits.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How about women having some rights and not being condemned to a life of penance?
We must balance that benefit against the costs....
- US taxpayer cost
- US soldier deaths
- Afghan deaths
- Repercussions from Islamic terrorists reacting to our invading a Muslim country

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Lol... true... I'm glad we liberated them from dark-aged extremist Abrahamic madness...not saying we didn't make mistakes
But before western intervention there were no dark age extremists. Most people were poor, most were even 'backward', but the extremism came in as a reaction to our economic and cultural meddling.

People don't like change imposed on them and they'll often resist it by becoming more conservative and retreating into tradition.
The way to change a culture is to model an alternative. If the population perceives it as a functional alternative they'll begin adopting aspects of it, at their own pace; try to force it on them, though, and the endeavor will backfire.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I voted Yes. I don't understand the Muslim position on this. If its to stop men's lecherous intentions or protect women, it seems extreme to put it mildly.

The argument about religious freedom is flawed because religious freedom like most things needs limits.

I believe that women should be free to wear as they wish, why to force them what to wear.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
But before western intervention there were no dark age extremists. Most people were poor, most were even 'backward', but the extremism came in as a reaction to our economic and cultural meddling.

People don't like change imposed on them and they'll often resist it by becoming more conservative and retreating into tradition.
The way to change a culture is to model an alternative. If the population perceives it as a functional alternative they'll begin adopting aspects of it, at their own pace; try to force it on them, though, and the endeavor will backfire.
True

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I believe that women should be free to wear as they wish, why to force them what to wear.
They should not be forced to wear something, I agree...but covering the face can interfere with security. I also don't think it's right to encourage women to cover themselves to that extent. It isn't healthy and actually draws more attention to them and makes people uncomfortable.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Maybe it shouldn't be banned...I don't know...but when it reaches the point of being like the picture in the OP, that's just wrong.

Even if a woman wants to dress like that, it's sad that she feels that way about herself that she doesn't even want people to see her face...it makes having fun and a social life difficult. It's just not healthy

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
RedDragon94 said:
Don't get stoned. ;) It's kind of a painful experience.

Quetzal replied
Wait, what? I mean if you take one too many hits you will feel loopy but- oh... uh-oh... forget I said anything!

"everybody must get stoned"

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
They should not be forced to wear something, I agree...but covering the face can interfere with security. I also don't think it's right to encourage women to cover themselves to that extent. It isn't healthy and actually draws more attention to them and makes people uncomfortable.

Women aren't forced to wear a decent dress but they're only advised to do so, and not burqa, but if some
chose to wear burqa then it isn't my business, they're free and they can wear what they want.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Women aren't forced to wear a decent dress but they're only advised to do so, and not burqa, but if some
chose to wear burqa then it isn't my business, they're free and they can wear what they want.
How does a child know it's their mother picking them up from school if her face is covered?

Their voice I guess

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
How does a child know it's their mother picking them up from school if her face is covered?

Their voice I guess

The school's buses pick up the children to their houses, also very few women wear burqa, most wear hijab and
some don't even wear hijab, except Saudi Arabia where hijab is a must and of course I don't agree on forcing
women to wear hijab since the quran doesn't make it a must but a choice.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

The problem with that argument is the burqa is associated with Muslim communities where women have much less rights than men, and far fewer opportunities, both educationally and workwise. The Taliban in Afghanistan is an obvious example. So a woman may be making a choice, because her husband, father, or a male religious leader is telling her what to do.

So yes, why force her to wear a burqa?

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

The burqa have been banned in some countries after terrorists concealed bombs within their burqas.

Burqa - Wikipedia

MohammadPali

The burqa is not a requirement. And afghanistan is a poor very country. Why are we fighting men who push wagons with mules ? I'm an arab and I wouldn't want to live in afghanistan either. They just don't understand that islam is about easy, its not about hard. These guys stretch the religion so much, when its suppose to be much easier than this.