• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sometimes a picture is worth 100,000 names

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You may be right. But if the second wave comes in June then the third wave will come in the fall. And it will be a doozy!
I notice that people's reaction to danger is cyclical, with a phase lag
between effect & response. Warnings without much effect get ignored.
Effects then get bad, & panic ensures....people get used to the effects,
& slack off.....they slack off, & this happens....
Ocean City, Maryland, Boardwalk Packed Saturday During Memorial Day Weekend

I plan to maintain a healthy sense of paranoia until herd
immunity & a vaccine make my risk reasonably small.

Btw, I've had some success convincing one person that the
plague isn't a hoax. He allows for the danger now, but still
says there's a liberal conspiracy to subdue the population.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I think we had that discussion already. I don't base my prediction on the statistics (I do take them into account but not as the basis). I base them on our reaction to the virus. I.e. I believe we are in control. We decide how it spreads, how many people we let die. It is not an inevitable thing.
Isolation works, masks work, hand washing works.

My predictions are based on the actual behavior of virus pandemics, epidemics, and seasonal infections, and a background in biology and epidemiology. It is possible through medical technology we can be better at dealing with zoonotic viruse, but up until the present we have not found a cure for flus, colds and other zoonotic viruses. We develop vaccines, but many still die every year.

Due to the fact that up to 80% of all cases are asymptomatic or weakly infected the actual numbers of cases are very low. If the COVID 19 persists seasonally and cyclically then herd immunity, high tech medical treatments and vaccines will the best we can do as far as technology. . . . in the future.

Last edited: