• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something that bothers me about the idea of christian universalism

Frank Goad

Christian universalism says everyone goes to heaven literally for free.The reason I don't like this idea is that you can live a life as bad as you want and still go to heaven with a pat on the back.Do you get the same feeling I do when thinking about christian universalism?:(

Skwim

Veteran Member
Christian universalism says everyone goes to heaven literally for free.The reason I don't like this idea is that you can live a life as bad as you want and still go to heaven with a pat on the back.Do you get the same feeling I do when thinking about christian universalism?:(
Kind of takes all the reason out of the effort to be good, doesn't it. And, any reason to accept Jesus as one's lord and savior. So I have to wonder why they even bother with the Christian part of their religion. :shrug:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

No. A lot of people feel once they get to heaven, they no longer commit bad things. I dont understand why we need to be punished to learn from our mistakes.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well starting the biblical Doctrine, the Bible does mention it punishes people through the omission of names from The Book of Life in Revelations. For which the dammed are cast into the Lake of Fire.

I suppose it would depend on what believers view as being over the line of no return.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think the "once saved, always saved" concept falls into that potential problem.

Ellen Brown

Not intending to bring shade upon them. They let anybody in, including Buddhists and Muslims. Hmmmm

The Anointed

No. A lot of people feel once they get to heaven, they no longer commit bad things. I dont understand why we need to be punished to learn from our mistakes.

The dinosaur foot his foot in the fire, he remembers the pain, he doesn't do it again. Spare the rod and spoil the child. If there were no bad consequences following our mistakes, we would simply repeat them.

I’ve left them in the desert, on the beach and in the snow
On the mountain tops, the river beds, in fact everywhere I go
Tiny footprints...…. indentations to mark the pathways that I’ve trod
And yet they vanish from the sight all, except the piercing eyes of God
And he’s always been inside me, since the day I ceased to crawl
He watched me take my first small step, saw me stumble, he saw me fall
Life lets me make me own mistakes, and god-----how many have I made?
But thank the Lord I’ve learnt from them, that’s how life's game is played
The life I’ve lived, the guilt, the shame, but I wouldn’t change a dot
Cos it’s made me who I am today, and to me that means a lot
I’ll never be an Einstein, a Rembrandt or Khayyam
But I’ve gained a greater inner peace, and I’m content with who I am
Undoubtedly I’ll fall again, mistakes will knock me off my feet
But they’ll be new encounters mate, past sins I’ll not repeat
For I store the memory of my crimes, like others store their gold
And my treasure house keeps growing as my future life unfolds.... The Anointed.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The dinosaur foot his foot in the fire, he remembers the pain, he doesn't do it again. Spare the rod and spoil the child. If there were no bad consequences following our mistakes, we would simply repeat them.

I’ve left them in the desert, on the beach and in the snow
On the mountain tops, the river beds, in fact everywhere I go
Tiny footprints...…. indentations to mark the pathways that I’ve trod
And yet they vanish from the sight all, except the piercing eyes of God
And he’s always been inside me, since the day I ceased to crawl
He watched me take my first small step, saw me stumble, he saw me fall
Life lets me make me own mistakes, and god-----how many have I made?
But thank the Lord I’ve learnt from them, that’s how life's game is played
The life I’ve lived, the guilt, the shame, but I wouldn’t change a dot
Cos it’s made me who I am today, and to me that means a lot
I’ll never be an Einstein, a Rembrandt or Khayyam
But I’ve gained a greater inner peace, and I’m content with who I am
Undoubtedly I’ll fall again, mistakes will knock me off my feet
But they’ll be new encounters mate, past sins I’ll not repeat
For I store the memory of my crimes, like others store their gold
And my treasure house keeps growing as my future life unfolds.... The Anointed.

That's beautiful. I was more saying I don't know why others need to punish us for us to learn from our mistakes. It may help the other person and society, but it doesn't help the person punished until years down the line when he learned from his mistake only by the actions of another person not his own experiences and consequences of his own.

I don't see how you can learn something if god punishes you for your mistakes so you can learn about life. But the poem also balances that with helping you, so...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not intending to bring shade upon them. They let anybody in, including Buddhists and Muslims. Hmmmm

Yeah. I was listening to a sermon from a minister in our congregation. He was saying that the phrase "we are all saved universally" means we are to make the earth a kingdom of god." So, we are called to help humanity and our congregations as well. There is bible influence but I don't understand why it sounds bad to others. Some people like to find the negativity in religions unlike their own. :(

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If I were a warlord, like Constantine or Muhammad, I would be all about a religion that teaches Heaven and Hell.

Teaching the little people to be submissive and obedient to authority in this life, and wait for justice and reward after death, is seriously convenient for the ruling class.
Tom

wendykvw

Universalist Minister
Christian Universalism does not teach everyone goes to heaven and can live anyway they want. It teaches that anyone who conducts their life apart from love will be held accountable, and will spend time in the refining fire of Gehenna, and once they are purified by the fire of God, they will be ready for heaven. This would include even those who profess faith, yet do not practice love/ God's Grace saved all humanity. Salvation was a one time event. Sanctification, or some call purification is a process, and some may not be ready for the heavenlies. But eventually, all of humanity will turn to God and will feast at the table of heaven. "And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest." Hebrews 8:11

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If I were a warlord, like Constantine or Muhammad, I would be all about a religion that teaches Heaven and Hell.

Teaching the little people to be submissive and obedient to authority in this life, and wait for justice and reward after death, is seriously convenient for the ruling class.
Tom
That's why the major religions are always ruled by wealthy individuals with political ties.

it's a lot like medieval Europe with the Pope and the King.

Lekatt

Premium Member
I don't see it quite that way. I believe we all are created in a Spirit World and come into the physical by choice. We are here to learn about ourselves and others. Mainly to learn how to get along in a loving and peaceful manner. When we die we all return to that Spiritual World. If we have done well and learned to love we will go to a higher level of the Spiritual World where we learn more and become a still better person. I am not religious, but I am spiritual and I think Jesus had it right in His teachings.