• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something is itching

Arator

Hello,

first of all, I'm sorry for my English, it's not my mother language.
I found this website, and I wanna share some things with you. Recently something is itching in my brains. I'm restless, can't find any rest in reading a book or playing a videogame, like used to have.
Looking on the internet, I found some other testimonies, mostly from "young" people, like me. And some of them found their rest in (a) religion.
So I was listing what is religion for me, what do I believe,...

I hope I can find some answers here, and some rest.

For starter : I'm born and raised in a Roman Catholic region. At the age of 8 I joined the local church (I don't mean joining the religion but the community) as an acolyte (that's what google translater is making from "misdienaar". I mean I helped the priest in his services at the church. I felt some connection during those services, can't really tell what it was. At the age of 18 I leaved because I couldn't find me anymore in the words, couldn't find that connection, thought that Roman Catholic Church became an institution just for being an institution. There is/was no progression in their thoughts, maybe I became too progressive on some points which were/are important for me.

Now, 15 years later. I only visited the church with the burial of my father and a friend, and the marriage of my brother and the baptisms of his children. I respect their religion and I think it was a support for them/the family for being there.

My noble opinions/beliefs :
I will go through some social believes first, because some are related to religion, and afterwards I will give my view on God(s), afterlife, ...
social believes
* I believe in the universal values (do not steal, do not murder, have respect). But I also believe, mankind has an instinct to survive. So when you're hungry, you will take food. It would be better for asking for food. But also the tale of the cricket and the ant is inspiring. You can have bad luck and then the community will help, but there is a border. Also it's good to give a man a fish, but it's better to learn him fishing.
* Everyone is equal, also man and woman. But everyone has other talents. As man, I don't have the talent to give birth, but maybe I can chop wood better.
* Homosexuality is not a disease
* Abortion : abortion is not a remedy against pregnancy. Use your brain first before something else. Abortion must be legal when lives are in danger or when the pregnancy is coming from a crime (rape) (This insight came recently, i thought i was more progressive)
* Use of condoms : condoms can be used to prevent spreading diseases like AIDS. It can also be used to prevent pregnancy. This was a breaking point for me with the RCC. When a couple doesn't want children (anymore) (because there is a genetic failure, sexual transmitted disease, they have already too many children, free choice), they can't express there love for each other by having sex?
* premarital sex : I think it's better to have sex in a relationship, but it shouldn't be marriage only. But I still prefer one-night-stands above rape.

religion
* my first thing : ratio. Or by the words of René Descartes : Cogito ergo sum (Je pense, donc je suis / I think therefor I am).
* From ratio comes science. I'm a darwinist, i'm an evolved ape (or maybe I just need a shave :p ). Science leads us to a Big Bang. But what created the Big Bang?
* I can't find an answer in "because". I need some argumentation. I need to know "the why" Not easy on a topic like religion
Now some issues for discussion
* The existing of (a) God(s) : For quoting Genesis and not in a disrespecting manner, but just making the point. "So God created man...". Recently I came to a thought (after reading some science papers), the sentence must be : "So man created (a) God(s), and so God created man." I believe the early men on earth needed some explanation about some things happens in nature (lightning, fire, ...). Later on they need to regulate their community. When everyone was killing each other there was no community. Their behavior rules became rules from a God, (this is the "man created god") and they start living by this rules. And by evolving their religion, they also evolving in their social behavior. (and here we have "god created man").
* Heaven : And now I'm on thin ice, and this is a part of the restless. I'm really shaking those trees of my Christian education. If God is created by man, is there an afterlife, heaven, is there a god out there?
At this moment I can't place heaven. It's not a place high in the sky. We've been to the moon and didn't found some cloud with a gate. I can live with the suggestion given in the book "discovery of heaven". (located beyond the Big Bang in negative space)
* The soul : What is a soul? We can't touch it, we can't see it, we can't smell it. But I think we can feel it, not the soul an sich, but the connections between souls. I also believe we can keep a soul alive (of a deceased person) by thinking of the person, talking about that person.
* Afterlife : when you die, your body stays on earth. We can find those remains even after thousand of years. When you can keep a soul alive by talking about, isn't that afterlife?
* Sins : I believe a baby is like a blanco sheet of paper. Nothing is written on it. It just lives on his instincts : crying when it needs something. But you can fill that paper. Hopefully by learning it what is right and what is wrong. And surely it will make mistakes and will start to experiment. That is what learning is.
* Healing by praying : I don't believe you will cure directly from a physical disease by praying. I do believe praying can give a boost to your mental state, and even science thinks that a positive mental state is good for healing. But you will need you medicine too.
* The person of Jesus Christ : I believe that Jesus was a mortal man on this world. But a person with a good view on social values. The spirit/soul of Jesus is still alive, even 2000 years after his death, just check the Christian churches.
* Holy Books : My view on the holy books is "they all are story's" (I don't want offend anyone with this). Those collection of story's in a book makes a religion differ from another religion. The interpretation of a word can make a world of difference. I don't think you need to read those books literally, but find the message behind the story (just like the story about the cricket and the ant I mentioned before)

conclusion
My ratio is blocking my belief. I can't place it in this world of reality. But does it need to be placed?
What am I looking for? Well maybe someone give it a "label". So I can get more info about that "label". I'm looking for a community for sharing some thoughts about this. I'm willing to learn.

BTW thanks for reading all of this :)

Arator

Thx for those answers. I did also the "what belief fits me"-test. UU came out at 100%, Liberal Quakers 91%. RCC was found on place 25 with 37%

As a UU, I had to chuckle... There is little agreement in UU concerning spiritual issues except where it is reflected in the principles... basically to respect all of existence, that all people are worthy of respect etc.

With the diversity I see within the "faith" I wonder how a test would show a 100% match with UU. I guess it could take some answers related to our inclusive principles... especially the dignity of all people, including straight, LGBT, race, gender etc...

It is a great place to gather, but don't expect to find a group of people that are all in the same place on their spiritual journeys. However, you will definitely find people that will support and respect you wherever your journey takes you, and be willing to share about their own views.