• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something Is Fishy About What Conservatives Are Saying

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There are things I keep seeing while my husband watches Fox News and on my Facebook page. Conservatives keep talking about poverty and what is Obama doing about it. Are the conservatives trying to pull a fast one on people? There has always been poverty, but I don't recall anyone blaming any president for it before. Is this another tactic they are using to get their candidate elected? For the past four years, I kept hearing Fox News blame things on President Obama that wouldn't have been any different if there was another man in office (Like the oil spill a couple of years ago). Since I never watch MSNBC (my hubby refuses), I don't know if the left pulls these kinds of stunts, too. I would watch CNN, if I could. As it is, I only read the headlines on the internet.

I am not a liberal and I am not a democrat, and I am not a republican. Right now, I can't find a political party.

esmith

Veteran Member
Do a little research on your own on the internet. Just be aware that there are numerous sites that don't exactly tell the truth and nothing but the truth. Here is a good link to start with.

Numbers On Welfare See Sharp Increase - WSJ.com

Also be very aware of what discussion forums you get your information from. Some are very liberal, others conservative. You must remember that back in the mid 60's to a few years ago the Democratic Party consisted of a mix of liberals and conservatives, same goes for the Republican party. That is why there was a considerable amount of cooperation between the parties. However, nowadays the parties have shifted, the liberals in the Republican party went over to the Democrats and the conservatives in the Democratic party went Republican. You can see this now in that the South used to be fairly a Democratic stronghold and the Northeast Republican. Now take a close look at how the 2008 Presidential election went
2008 election results by state

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
For better or worse, the President tends to get blamed for things that are not, strictly speaking, his fault. He's the public figurehead where much of the attention goes to, as opposed to the myriad of complex causal variables that are often well beyond the control of a single person.

Shermana

Heretic
Republicans are basically now forced to try to say "Obama bad, Romney better" without addressing any of the actual specifics and details of the situation at hand. They realize that their base isn't intelligent enough for the most part to process the facts, and the very few that are smart enough generally vote for Ron Paul or go independent. So what's left is an old, sagging GOP that's sticking to its 1970s policies in the face of a 2012 economic landscape, unwilling to make any actual needed changes, like stodgy old folk who refuse to accept that their old wives tales (of economics) don't apply to the modern day.

Because they are as much of the problem as the Democrats when it comes to actual policies and voting, they resort to setting up a strawman of Obama (not saying Obama is perfect either) that while it may be accurate in some respects, is nothing but a distraction from the fact that the GOP has no actual solutions. All of the same things they complain about, like jobs, they go ahead and then vote against policies that encourage domestic job production. They want lower taxes, then they vote against Obama's tax credit plan for new hires. Their leaders are intellectually infantile, they know their base has a mostly infantile intelligence, and are resorting to infantile tactics while snubbing the crucial independents who can make or break a majority vote.

Alceste

Vagabond
There are things I keep seeing while my husband watches Fox News and on my Facebook page. Conservatives keep talking about poverty and what is Obama doing about it. Are the conservatives trying to pull a fast one on people? There has always been poverty, but I don't recall anyone blaming any president for it before. Is this another tactic they are using to get their candidate elected? For the past four years, I kept hearing Fox News blame things on President Obama that wouldn't have been any different if there was another man in office (Like the oil spill a couple of years ago). Since I never watch MSNBC (my hubby refuses), I don't know if the left pulls these kinds of stunts, too. I would watch CNN, if I could. As it is, I only read the headlines on the internet.

I am not a liberal and I am not a democrat, and I am not a republican. Right now, I can't find a political party.

I think it's reasonable to assume that Fox's entire purpose is to promote Republican talking points (and there is evidence supporting that view). So there will usually be total overlap between Fox News messaging and the Republican campaign messaging. The Republican campaign strategy is to keep the focus on Bogeyman Obama so that nobody takes too close a look at Romney. If they notice Romney, they may notice that he has no actual plans at all, beyond shoveling more money, faster, into the pockets of billionaires like himself - the exact same strategy that caused the economic crisis of 2007.

This picture of an old man incoherently arguing with an invisible Obama is worth a thousand words, as far as commenting on the GOP campaign strategy is concerned.

gty_rnc_eastwood_chair_jef_120830_wg.jpg

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For better or worse, the President tends to get blamed for things that are not, strictly speaking, his fault. He's the public figurehead where much of the attention goes to, as opposed to the myriad of complex causal variables that are often well beyond the control of a single person.

Quite right.

I liked this look at the role of the President that I heard a while back:

Freakonomics » How Much Does the President Really Matter?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I'm worried about Romney. When the republican race first began, Romney would be against something in one speech and for it in another- I saw some clips. That means he is just saying what people want to hear him say so he can get elected. It's scary. I worry what will happen if he does get elected since I don't know what the man stands for.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm worried about Romney. When the republican race first began, Romney would be against something in one speech and for it in another- I saw some clips. That means he is just saying what people want to hear him say so he can get elected. It's scary. I worry what will happen if he does get elected since I don't know what the man stands for.
They'll say almost anything to get elected, but past is prologue.
Look at their records, & you should expect more of the same.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

They're just trying to spin it because of Romney's (true feelings) he expressed to his rich friend/doonors. He thought he wasn't being taped. He was "off the cuff" (un-scripted and being frank)...but didn't realize he was being taped.

Also know that MANY of the Fox "News" correspondents work for the Romney campaign. Not what I would call fair and balanced news.

It's all good. Just be practical, sensible. What Romney said in that video is completely contrary to what Yeshua preached.

Last edited:

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I'm still waiting for the "trickle down" from Reagan

I'm surprised they don't use a more apt analogy and compare the middle class and poor Americans to "dogs eating the crumbs that fall from their master's table"...thank you Canaanite woman in Matthew 15:27 for that colorful phrase.

(Side note, if I understand Matthew 15:24-27, Jesus is comparing non-Israelites to dogs...thanks Jesus. There's a passage they skip in Sunday school.)

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Christine, most Republicans today are radicals. Moderate Republicans are no longer elected to national office in any numbers worth mention. If you want to find Moderate Republicans, you have to look for them at the local level, not the national. So, what Conservatives are saying today is far more radical than what they used to say 40 or 50 years ago.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
So your husband dictates for the both of you?

When are you going to invite him to RF?

Are you kidding? My husband dictates nothing or at least he tries to and I just nod and pretend to agree (stops arguments before they start). I spend most of my away from him and his constant TV watching. I have invited my husband to join- he won't, but he is almost opposite of me on almost anything, too, so it would be interesting.

Awoon

I'm surprised they don't use a more apt analogy and compare the middle class and poor Americans to "dogs eating the crumbs that fall from their master's table"...thank you Canaanite woman in Matthew 15:27 for that colorful phrase.

(Side note, if I understand Matthew 15:24-27, Jesus is comparing non-Israelites to dogs...thanks Jesus. There's a passage they skip in Sunday school.)

They promised "trickle down" so whens it coming?