• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something I was taught

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
@SomeRandom Anyway other things I was taught were to look under cars before getting into them in case of wire. Don't have earphones in both ears. Never walk alone at night. Dress modestly. Carry a bottle of perfume on you at all times to spray in eyes. High heels make great weapons. If a man walks towards you on the street cross to the other side. Etc.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
:confused: Where the heck where you taught, and by whom?

I'm sorry you received such poor information!
That's basically how fundamentalist protestants are. The woman is there for the man, the woman is supposed to fully submit to her husband, and accept being beneath men.
Wtf?

I've never heard this in my life. Bizarre.
I never really heard any such stuff until I started going out as female. Then rape discussions began,
In regards to trans specifically, this "issue of danger and safety" is often used as an excuse to not allow transgender people to use the restroom they are identifying and presenting as.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
@SomeRandom Anyway other things I was taught were to look under cars before getting into them in case of wire. Don't have earphones in both ears. Never walk alone at night. Dress modestly. Carry a bottle of perfume on you at all times to spray in eyes. High heels make great weapons. If a man walks towards you on the street cross to the other side. Etc.
That’s.....crazy.
I hope you’re no longer around such toxic people

VoidCat

That’s.....crazy.
I hope you’re no longer around such toxic people
So that isn't normal? Like I knew being told about martial rape not being real isn't normal but being told all those tips regarding safety isn't?

Someone please tell me I aint the only one taught all that...

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
So that isn't normal? Like I knew being told about martial rape not being real isn't normal but being told all those tips regarding safety isn't?

You’re not the only one. I’ve heard of such stories from atheist channels discussing the awful detrimental sexist teachings. Or even just reacting to such things.
But I’m not in fundamentalist Christian spaces. So I never heard such things. I mean I heard similar modesty messages from conservative uncles, but they’re conservative uncles. Also what Indians consider modest isn’t always seen as such in the West. So I never cared what they told me. My uncles/dads seemed concerned with my physical safety, but I was never taught to fear men. Kick the genital area sure. But not to fear men specifically.

VoidCat

You’re not the only one. I’ve heard of such stories from atheist channels discussing the awful detrimental sexist teachings. Or even just reacting to such things.
But I’m not in fundamentalist Christian spaces. So I never heard such things. I mean I heard similar modesty messages from conservative uncles, but they’re conservative uncles. Also what Indians consider modest isn’t always seen as such in the West. So I never cared what they told me. My uncles/dads seemed concerned with my physical safety, but I was never taught to fear men. Kick the genital area sure. But not to fear men specifically.
Ah good but it's not just the church that taught me this but my aunt and my grandma and my uncle... Like I thought this was just normal stuff that people teach their daughters

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Ah good but it's not just the church that taught me this but my aunt and my grandma. Like I thought this was just normal stuff that people teach their daughters
Internalised sexism. Quite common I’ve heard. This is why I reject conservative teachings. Imo, they’re counterintuitive and reinforce harmful life lessons

VoidCat

Internalised sexism. Quite common I’ve heard. This is why I reject conservative teachings. Imo, they’re counterintuitive and reinforce harmful life lessons
I am now tempted to call all my female friends and ask if they were taught similar things...I just am surprised that this may not be normal.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Carry pepper spray.
Perfume will just make the assailant smell nice.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I am now tempted to call all my female friends and ask if they were taught similar things...I just am surprised that this may not be normal.
It’s “normal” in the sense that there are communities who teach such things. But I’d be surprised if it were mainstream. Maybe in the US it is. Not in my circles though

Orbit

I'm a planet

You're not the only one, and not just evangelical circles taught this either.

QuestioningMind

Trigger warning...mention of rape.

Anyone else assigned female at birth was also taught that if someone is raping you to shout fire and not rape? The reasoning being that no one wants to help women but everyone wants to see chaos?

Anybody else find it messed up that women are taught things like this?And if you are assigned female at birth feel free to add stuff y'all heard growing up regarding protecting yourself.

I don't qualify as someone assigned female at birth, but I find this to be 100% messed up.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

It wasn't until the mid 1970's that marital rape was legally recognized. Before that, spouses were explicitly excluded from the definition of rape.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The wire thing is extreme. I've seen plenty of women with both earphones on. I suspect for those you will be in the minority.
Some of Barbara Ehrenreich's works you may find interesting. I don't remember the titles, but in some of her books she brings up such topics and how she wasn't raised to be afraid.

VoidCat

The wire thing is extreme. I've seen plenty of women with both earphones on. I suspect for those you will be in the minority.
Some of Barbara Ehrenreich's works you may find interesting. I don't remember the titles, but in some of her books she brings up such topics and how she wasn't raised to be afraid.
I'll check it out thanks

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It’s “normal” in the sense that there are communities who teach such things. But I’d be surprised if it were mainstream. Maybe in the US it is. Not in my circles though
There are cases, here in America, where fathers (and church pastors) forbid their daughters from being too highly educated. They are pulled out of public education, forbidden from going to college, and it's all because it's supposed to be the man's job to be the breadwinner, women are supposed to be at home, and they most certainly must not be smarter and better educated than their husbands.
Not mainstream, but not uncommon, and tragically legal until the child is 18.