• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone present to me an innovative religious idea in the Koran

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
I'm talking about something that innovates the way we live our lives. The teachings of Jesus represent an innovation of the Old Testament. For instance where the OT preached 'an eye for and eye' Jesus preached to turn the other cheek. He offered the beatitudes 'blesses are the poor in spirit, blessed are the meek, etc'. He condemned divorce for any reason other than sexual immorality. He said never to swear an oath. These were all things not found in the Old Testament.

Muslims claim the Koran to be a miraculous book. I've heard the rhyming scheme is some of the evidence of this. I'm not impressed with rhyming. I'm impressed with ideas. I find the Koran to be a repetitive incoherent book. I can't even make it all the way through it becaus the lack of a connecting thread through what I've read makes it come across as a bunch of random thoughts just strung together. The best parts of it seem to be plagiarized from the Bible. My impression from what I've read is that it seems more like the Old Testament than the new in terms of instruction on how to live ones life. If that's the case, then it represents a regression in religious thinking. Can somebody provide me with one idea in the Koran, not already found in the Bible, that teaches people how to live better lives

idav

Being
Premium Member
I'm not a practitioner of the quran however I have seen some of the differences from the stories as presented in the bible.

For one all the prophets in the quran are saints and don't do any of the sins as found in the of old testament of the bible. The miracle of Muhammad as a prophet is pretty much translating the quran cause he was supposedly illiterate.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
based on what ive said does it sound like I'm a big believer in the claim that its a 'miracle book'?

No. So why do you inquire about it unless your real inquiry is the question:

Someone cannot present to me an innovative religious idea in the Koran so why should I give it any credence?

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
No. So why do you inquire about it unless your real inquiry is the question:

Someone cannot present to me an innovative religious idea in the Koran so why should I give it any credence?

because I'm genuinely not trying to argue about this....well maybe just a little:D. I'm not going to claim to be an authority on the Koran. I'm not going to fiercely defend my position especially considering I couldn't even make it all the way through the Koran. Maybe somebody can present to me an innovative idea in the Koran. I'm all ears if you have it.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
because I'm genuinely not trying to argue about this....well maybe just a little:D. I'm not going to claim to be an authority on the Koran. I'm not going to fiercely defend my position especially considering I couldn't even make it all the way through the Koran. Maybe somebody can present to me an innovative idea in the Koran. I'm all ears if you have it.

Well, do not seek truth outside of God's word, sir. You will not find it but rather Satan will attempt to attack your faith based on your desire for knowledge. Exactly as he did with Eve in the garden.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Well, do not seek truth outside of God's word, sir. You will not find it but rather Satan will attempt to attack your faith based on your desire for knowledge. Exactly as he did with Eve in the garden.

I understand that. I'm pretty secure in my faith. I would read the Koran just to be educated. And I can appreciate good ideas. If I rejected Jesus, Islam is about the last place I would go

First Baseman

Retired athlete
I understand that. I'm pretty secure in my faith. I would read the Koran just to be educated. And I can appreciate good ideas. If I rejected Jesus, Islam is about the last place I would go

Yes, I'm not faulting your faith. I merely caution you. Know God's word. Everything else is folly.

You already know that, I know. Maybe the Spirit sent me to remind you of these things out of concern for you. Possibly.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Based on what I've seen in terms of women's rights in the Islamic world I find it hard to believe

So are you after the practices and deeds of Muslims or the words of the Qur'an. Why did you just jump from one thing to another??

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
So are you after the practices and deeds of Muslims or the words of the Qur'an. Why did you just jump from one thing to another??

I haven't studied the Koran enough to know if the behavior of Muslims is inconsistent with the teachings of the Koran. All I have to go by is how Muslims who claim to be following their book's teachings act

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Here are two verses that speak of something relevant with our present world.

"And when the girl [who was] buried alive is asked
For what sin she was killed"
CHapter 81 verses 8-9

In China parents would have an abortion if their fetus was a female because of the 1 child policy because most favoured a son. And this is just China that we are talking about at present time.