• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone I know is into dark stuff

Theweirdtophat

It's something I thought of and I thought I should say it out loud. Because I am no longer afraid. And forgive me if it sounds unbelievable, but if I didn't think there was a sliver of truth in this, I wouldn't be writing this. This involves magic and if you don't believe in such power I do understand. I am telling everyone this because I felt it was important to share it and why I wanted to practice magic.

It involves my brother who has always been into magic and the occult. For a while I didn't believe him and what he said about magic until he had showed me how it worked. He had said he was tired of being moral as well wanting to explore new things. He had showed me how he got his old girlfriend back through a potion he created which sort of acted like an aphrodisiac to attract women but it made women become more lustful and he had said he wanted to use it to attract women. He would speak out a few words, in Sumerian and then use an apple and extract it's liquid to make sort of a sex potion out of it. He would wear it as a cologne and it would attract most women to him and if the woman drunk it, they would be overcome with lust.

He tried to introduce me to magic because we were brothers and he was a friend of mine that I trusted and he trusted me as well, as he was very secretive of his art. And I figured he was because the stuff he'd use magic for was rather unethical, whether he would use it to sleep with women or trick people out of money, as he practiced hypnotism as well. He practiced psychology as well, being ale to manipulate people more easily and I have seen him end up with some extra money such as when he bought something in a grocery store, the clerk would end up giving him change, plus a few extra dollars.

I was told that he had an interest in the occult because of my father who passed away a while ago. He told me my brother used to read magic books but some were not from the greatest sources and involved dark magic stuff. The more he read it, the more he suffered from hallucinations and nightmares, and had developed mental problems because of it. So my dad had taken him to an empty field to bury the book so my brother could be free from it.

I guess he went back to it because he wanted me to practice it. He also knew that I didn't have much luck with women and could promise me the power to find a woman. He said I'd be able to do things no other person could do, at least, any person who didn't know magic. But I knew this was not the way to do it. I found it unethical. He didn't care how magic worked, just so long as he got what he wanted from it and warned me not to tell anyone that he was a sorcerer and from my knowledge, sorcerers are usually magic users that use magic for selfish purposes. I know my brother has good in him but I think all of this magic corrupted his mind and he basically saw the world as a crappy place to live and so, uses magic to get what he wants, screws the rules and tries to justify it. He had told me he followed the path of fear and that he told me that if I did rituals with him I would see scary things but they would soon pass. He was rather vague about it.

I told him I'd give it some thought but in my heart I know I'd never do what he did. He told me that I should learn his magic and often said that his brand of magic was real while all the other brands were fake, probably telling me that so I'd be more likely to join him. I knew he was lying. I told him that it wasn't wise to mess with powers you don't understand it and karma has a role in it but he doesn't believe in karma. I don't know if he was religious but he did mention paying homages to Marduk and Innana, two Sumerian deities and in his notes he wrote a message to Asmodeus which is a demon of lust and anger in Jewish scriptures. and that he had dozens of books which involved baneful magic, necromatic spells and so forth and it honestly creeps me out. He even painted an inverted pentagram with red pain near his door. Why, I don't know but as time grew he became more mentally ill and prone to anger, probably from all the magic he was using. I don't think it's a coincidence that he''s mentally ill and happens to read these books. I think there's a connection to it because he wasn't mentally ill before until he started reading this stuff. He's also not the first I've encountered as I have known people who were in mental hospitals and just so happened to study the occult. Not every mentally ill person practice it, I know but it is strange that they showed no signs of being mentally ill until they started dabbling in this stuff.

This is why I started on the path of Druidry and tried to learn nature magic of my own, to protect myself in case he started acting up again. I wanted to protect myself and my family from him. If any could pray for luck and good health any are appreciated. I know it's difficult for some to believe, but I would not type this if I did not think it was real. Magic as well as psionics like telepathy and telekinesis are real. I know I can't offer positive proof but if I did display it people wouldn't believe me. Some magic can't even be recorded and need to be experienced to know that it's real.

It's just something I need to share and if any knew people like my brother any help would be appreciated.

buddhist

I believe in the existence of real magic ... as I understand it, magic is simply the knowledge and use of higher laws governing the universe to manipulate various energies in order to supersede the lower laws we normally see.

Kamma is also very real; I believe it should be painfully apparent to anyone - causes always produce effects. That's basically kamma in action; and, intentions, whether positive or negative, is not excluded from the universal law of kamma.

The manipulation of laws for selfish reasons, especially ones which affect others in significant ways, would produce immense negative kamma. Even the manipulation of laws for apparently "good" reasons can also produce negative kamma, because we as humans cannot foresee every potential negative consequence of such action. That, IMO, is why magic is extremely carefully and rarely used, in spiritually awakened individuals.

According to Lord Buddha, negative kamma can only be extinguished after it "burns out". That is, one must unfortunately suffer in proportion to the evils volitionally caused. However, the results of negative kamma can potentially be attenuated through the generation of positive kamma, or, more powerfully through detachment (e.g. meditation), but unfortunately not eliminated.

Metta.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I'm transferring your terminology to my own because it's the only way I make sense of this.
Basically your brother is messing around with drugs and using them on people.
He's gotten backlashed, via side-effect or stress, lately and has gotten short with others.

If he was messing with himself and doing it all only to himself, not your concern.
But, since he isn't keeping his drugs to himself, he needs to reported or taken to therapy.

If neither of those options are appealing then you can always just cut him off and wait for the effects to subside.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
If I were to take all of what you are saying as true, don't actually stop him yourself.
Get others to help lest you end up permanently breathless.

Laika

Premium Member
you haven't said anything so far that rings alarm bells, that your brother is a threat to anyone. there is a significant difference between being interested in darkness and being consumed by it.

there are some warning signs, namely that your brother has hallucinations, is (or aspires to be) manipulative with sex and money, and you said he lied to you. you also said he gets angry alot.

if it was me, my first thought is that this interest in darkness may be related to pre-existing problems, and that the death of your (and his) father is a catalyst for it. you said he was interested in necromatic spells, so I wonder if there is a connection. dealing with death does shatter alot of our illusions, and can change our priorities. rejecting "morals" can be a way of rejecting restrictions on us so that we can be fulfilled in what time we have. and secrecy can be a result from wanting something others think is taboo. sex and frustration over it is a big one as it is so important to our social relationships and towards a fulfilling life. wanting to have alot of sex is not necessarily a bad thing and can be heathly but it depends on the way you go about it. he lost his girlfreind and "used magic" to get her back. maybe it gave him the confidence to straithen things out with her and the magic had a placebo effect.

I think what frightens you is that you are losing your brother to a mental illness.thats more than understandable. hold back from accepting the magic for now and work on the assumption that your brother is having mental problems. if you can, sit and talk to him about the hallucinations- that is the only thing that definetively would put this in the realm of mental illness. otherwise, this sounds like a very troubled and angst ridden person who isn't very happy in life. sadly, there are alot of them out there.

In a way the fact your brother was willing to share the idea of using magic to get women is a "good" sign as it shows he trusts you and let you into the "secret" part of his world that he wouldn't share with anyone else. if possible, spend sometime with him, talk about it and figure out what is really going on in his head.

allfoak

Alchemist
This involves magic and if you don't believe in such power I do understand. I am telling everyone this because I felt it was important to share it and why I wanted to practice magic.

Is it dark because it is "magic" or because of what he is doing to others?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
You can buy pheremone-laced sprays that affect other people's sexual attraction. Its just a parlour trick.
He told me that I should learn his magic and often said that his brand of magic was real while all the other brands were fake
Oh, he's fake. That being said don't get too angry with him. He is your brother after all, and you only get so many of those. There's no perfect response to mental problems except kindness. Kindness is good medicine if you can get close enough to administer it.
I think there's a connection to it because he wasn't mentally ill before until he started reading this stuff.
Mental illness isn't usually obvious until the person reaches a mental crisis. Internal problems often go unseen while the person lives in a structured environment, but then they become exposed later.
This is why I started on the path of Druidry and tried to learn nature magic of my own, to protect myself in case he started acting up again. I wanted to protect myself and my family from him. If any could pray for luck and good health any are appreciated. I know it's difficult for some to believe, but I would not type this if I did not think it was real. Magic as well as psionics like telepathy and telekinesis are real. I know I can't offer positive proof but if I did display it people wouldn't believe me. Some magic can't even be recorded and need to be experienced to know that it's real.
I know very little about any magic, but I think your love protects you from mental illness somewhat. From my muggle point of view your bro sounds like he is confused about magic and nature, and I do think that he pulled some parlour tricks on you. Don't trust any tricks.

Theweirdtophat

I would not trust anything he says now. I already know his mind is corrupted but I don't understand why people think what he's doing is fake. I've said this before even on pagan and magic forums and most say "He's just faking or that it's all in his head or my head", despite the fact that I post it on sites where people believe in magic. I've had people dismiss my problem and even laughed at it. I don't get it.

I know words have power, both the written and spoken word. Why would he be suffering from delusions, nightmares and hallucinations after reading a book filled with bad stuff? He didn't before but all of a sudden does when he starts reading it?

Theweirdtophat

you haven't said anything so far that rings alarm bells, that your brother is a threat to anyone. there is a significant difference between being interested in darkness and being consumed by it.

there are some warning signs, namely that your brother has hallucinations, is (or aspires to be) manipulative with sex and money, and you said he lied to you. you also said he gets angry alot.

if it was me, my first thought is that this interest in darkness may be related to pre-existing problems, and that the death of your (and his) father is a catalyst for it. you said he was interested in necromatic spells, so I wonder if there is a connection. dealing with death does shatter alot of our illusions, and can change our priorities. rejecting "morals" can be a way of rejecting restrictions on us so that we can be fulfilled in what time we have. and secrecy can be a result from wanting something others think is taboo. sex and frustration over it is a big one as it is so important to our social relationships and towards a fulfilling life. wanting to have alot of sex is not necessarily a bad thing and can be heathly but it depends on the way you go about it. he lost his girlfreind and "used magic" to get her back. maybe it gave him the confidence to straithen things out with her and the magic had a placebo effect.

I think what frightens you is that you are losing your brother to a mental illness.thats more than understandable. hold back from accepting the magic for now and work on the assumption that your brother is having mental problems. if you can, sit and talk to him about the hallucinations- that is the only thing that definetively would put this in the realm of mental illness. otherwise, this sounds like a very troubled and angst ridden person who isn't very happy in life. sadly, there are alot of them out there.

In a way the fact your brother was willing to share the idea of using magic to get women is a "good" sign as it shows he trusts you and let you into the "secret" part of his world that he wouldn't share with anyone else. if possible, spend sometime with him, talk about it and figure out what is really going on in his head.

I would say that he was into this stuff for a while long before my dad had died though. He has done drugs before but none of them were hallucinogenic drugs. If all the magic stuff was fake why do people do it? That's what I want to know. I don't think people would spend years practicing it if they didn't get something out of it. This wouldn't be the first case either. I've researched this kind of stuff before and found that some people who were mentally ill and had side effects like my brother happened to study the occult. So they either botched up an important ritual and it back fired or the excess of negative energy began to corrupt their mind. Even my brother told me that if one practiced the magic he did, there would be some side effects, like some bad dreams, or even physical problems, like throwing up. Which he did before when he cast one of his spells on his girlfriend.

I can't talk to his problems because he doesn't want to. That's why he has so many problems because he doesn't want to talk about it to anyone. Mostly because he feels embarrassed and that he feels people will look at him like he's a freak if they know his problems. As far as I know my dad didn't practice magic, but even he told me to beware what is written and to not mess with things you don't understand.

I don't think I should feel honored that he was willing to share a secret with me that he wouldn't with anyone else. He tried to get me to follow that corrupted path and he failed. I knew the path he followed was not a good one and I chose to find my own path. My brother I think is a sick person but I can tell there is some good in him. I can sense some conflict i him as well even when he casts spells. Sometimes I feel like he doesn't enjoy doing this but feels that he must or that he's addicted to power. Power is addictive like a drug and overuse messes up the person physically and mentally. I don't despise him but pity him that he chose such a path, when he could have chosen a better one. And it isn't too late for him either.

But I'm not a psychologist. I am not sure what I can do except protect myself from him by being proficient in nature magic, healing, blessing, protection ect.

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member
If all the magic stuff was fake why do people do it? That's what I want to know. I don't think people would spend years practicing it if they didn't get something out of it.

its never as clear cut as right or wrong, true or false. assuming for instance that magic had no effect whatsoever, there is still the in-built confirmation bias in people. we tend to do what we enjoy and our beliefs reflect what "feels" good. if for example your brother performed a spell and, for then unrelated reasons, sorted things out with his ex-girlfreind, that would re-inforce his belief that magic works even if it didn't.

its therefore not something you "snap out of" but is a much longer-term process of beliefs being challanged by experience until they are no longer rewarding. we only know the truth by "what works". as long as something keeps working, it re-inforces the belief that it works (even if it doesn't). to some extent a person has be honest enough to make a choice to see whether the problems in a belief system are significant.

truth is difficult; take a look at how many people are absolutely sure they were right in history and turned out to be wrong. the truth is out there but it should warn us against believing in things absolutely or with complete certianty. it is best to hear both sides of an argument even if you think one of them is right. if it is, listening to an opposing view isn't a threat. if it isn't, you can learn from it. perhaps we take the truth too personally as "ours".

I can't talk to his problems because he doesn't want to. That's why he has so many problems because he doesn't want to talk about it to anyone. Mostly because he feels embarrassed and that he feels people will look at him like he's a freak if they know his problems

embarrasment is probably better than angry, but its marginal. it means he probably knows its a problem.

Even my brother told me that if one practiced the magic he did, there would be some side effects, like some bad dreams, or even physical problems, like throwing up. Which he did before when he cast one of his spells on his girlfriend.

...and this is probably why. he may have experienced negative side effects (or think he has) and thats made him uncomfortable or embarrassed to talk about it.

ultimately you have to decide whether you really want to be involved or will let go and just let "things" take there course. there may well be a point where you can do no more anyway andw will have to find a way of coping with it. I think thats the decision you need to make. if you really think your brother is out to corrupt you, you need to take a step back and accept that this is a person who is willing to "hurt" you in someway. thats probably not worth you sticking your neck out for him unless your prepared to accept that it could go wrong.

Theweirdtophat

I don't think it's a coincidence that he practices magic and just so happens to suffer side effects, which he himself says happens when one practices it. I have been preparing myself just in case he lashes out. I wish I didn't have to protect myself from my own brother.

Laika

Premium Member
I don't think it's a coincidence that he practices magic and just so happens to suffer side effects, which he himself says happens when one practices it. I have been preparing myself just in case he lashes out. I wish I didn't have to protect myself from my own brother.

it's very sad. As a only child, I would have liked a brother. Just be careful and look after yourself- magic or not.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Not many people make it through a real world Lovecraft story with their sanity!

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member

I had a post about this but I guess I accidently deleted it while updating. Anyway, my point, basically, was that as a life long practitioner of the Black Arts myself, I would suggest that your brother immediately stop practicing Magick and get professional psychological help. Clearly from what you say, your brother has no sense of balance and has gone off the deep end. Black Magick can be dangerous to the unstable mind. Even some of the best of us have lost their sense of balance and have succumbed to their own Id monster in their arrogance and lust for dominance.

Last edited:

vaguelyhumanoid

Get him to a therapist! I do believe in magic but I don't think his mental illness was caused by his occult practices. Rather, it sounds like that was a latent tendency he has and that his mental illness manifests thru his occult obsession. Magic is about altering one's consciousness. Just like with psychoactive substances, a person in an unstable state of mind should be extremely cautious. I stick to divination and bindrunes myself. It sounds like your brother is psychotic and also has very little respect for consent or personal boundaries. He should stop practicing magic and get psychologically evaluated ASAP.

Theweirdtophat

Is your brother Bill Cosby?

I know people can make light of the situation but this is pretty serious stuff. It's some sort of potion he made using apples, spoke a few words in Sumerian out in the woods among other things. He never gave me all the details. He says that the potion is very specific. And that it is most potent when it is drunk. I couldn't use the cologne anyway because he spoke the words himself. For example, if I put on the cologne that he had, women would still be attracted to him instead of me, despite me wearing it. And that when it's drunk it's very potent. It could even turn someone who is straight and make someone lose their inhibitions and become attracted to my brother, which is why he warned me not to drink it.

These aren't even what I call love spells. More like lust spells. This is why I tried to study magic in the first place. I wanted to protect myself and my family from him and learned Druidry. I have been trying to find and study Celtic and nature orientated spells, mostly involving protection and healing. Of course if anyone knew such spells it would be appreciated. Any prayers would be greatly appreciated, if you have time.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I know people can make light of the situation but this is pretty serious stuff. It's some sort of potion he made using apples, spoke a few words in Sumerian out in the woods among other things. He never gave me all the details. He says that the potion is very specific. And that it is most potent when it is drunk. I couldn't use the cologne anyway because he spoke the words himself. For example, if I put on the cologne that he had, women would still be attracted to him instead of me, despite me wearing it. And that when it's drunk it's very potent. It could even turn someone who is straight and make someone lose their inhibitions and become attracted to my brother, which is why he warned me not to drink it.

These aren't even what I call love spells. More like lust spells. This is why I tried to study magic in the first place. I wanted to protect myself and my family from him and learned Druidry. I have been trying to find and study Celtic and nature orientated spells, mostly involving protection and healing. Of course if anyone knew such spells it would be appreciated. Any prayers would be greatly appreciated, if you have time.
It is serious. If this were true it would be a crime. Your brother would be a rapist. It would be the same thing Bill Cosby did.

Personally I believe that magic is crap. But that is me. And that doesn't matter. Bill Cosby started out as a kid fantasizing about "spanish fly". Spanish fly is a myth, but doesn' matter. Bill eventually found real drugs he could put in women's drinks. If your brother really wants to drug women (and that is what we are talking about, be it rohypnol or "magical apple juice") he will find a way to do it. It is a crime, it is assault. And if you can't actually go to the police and report him for using magical apple juice, you should at least warn any women who is unfortunate enough to be around him.

And no, I will not pray for him, that is crap too.

Theweirdtophat

It is serious. If this were true it would be a crime. Your brother would be a rapist. It would be the same thing Bill Cosby did.

Personally I believe that magic is crap. But that is me. And that doesn't matter. Bill Cosby started out as a kid fantasizing about "spanish fly". Spanish fly is a myth, but doesn' matter. Bill eventually found real drugs he could put in women's drinks. If your brother really wants to drug women (and that is what we are talking about, be it rohypnol or "magical apple juice") he will find a way to do it. It is a crime, it is assault. And if you can't actually go to the police and report him for using magical apple juice, you should at least warn any women who is unfortunate enough to be around him.

And no, I will not pray for him, that is crap too.

You don't have to pray for him. I meant for me and my family. Wouldn't any aphrodisiac use be considered raping? It increases your chance and messes with their mind. Although it doesn't get them drunk or cause them to pass out or gives him the ability to control their mind, it makes them horny. The drink does the same thing but more potent. But he's never used the drink and drugged women as far as I know. The cologne worked just fine for him.

He has had books involving necromatic spells and rituals. I never looked into them but I know some were quite bad and involved things which would probably get someone arrested, like breaking into coffins and crypts and using parts of bodies for ritual, but that's what it says in the book anyway. I don't think he ever personally did that, but then, you have to question someone's sanity when they have a book that encourages such acts.

It is fine to disbelieve in magic, but then you have to wonder. If it was all fake, why would people spend years practicing an art that doesn't amount to anything. This isn't LARPING or anything, they take it seriously. Not to mention magic have been done for thousands of years and is still being practiced. If you mean people throwing fireballs and lifting mountains that's hollywood magic, not real magic.