• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some thoughts please.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
So a woman friend I haven't seen in a while made me start to reconsider what I want to do with my life. Originally I wanted to be a German/Education major and teach English in Germany. I saw her the other day and we talked for a while. She is an amazing woman. I am am now thinking of majoring in Psychology and and Sociology with a minor in German. I will then go to a state university and get a masters in Psychology while also getting a degree in Environmental something or another. I would probably remain in the Us then and be a therapist and work with Environmental organizations to educate Americans and help make a difference here where it needs to be made. I would still live in the country amongst a natural setting, but I would work in the city. I think I would also teach classes at state and national parks during the summer if I went this route. I just think maybe I should take responsibility and try to make the world a little better. I want to help people on an individual level (therapist), but also help people learn to love and respect the environment. I wanted to bring my son somewhere that would be good for him, but in Europe they are doing much better with the whole environmental awareness thing. It is here in the US that change needs to occur. I was thinking that I need to try and help bring about a better future for my son and his children. What do y'all think. Some thoughts and feedback would be welcome.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
What does your Taoist siade think about Pyschology? I heard its rather frowned upon in Taosist medicine.

Whatever you decide - make sure that you will get a qualification that will get you a sustainable job so you can support your son.
I don't know what it is like in America, but in the UK its is getting harder and harder to get good jobs and degrees in things like Sociology or Media are not considered decent degrees or 'non-subjects' by employers.

Best of luck though! Don't spread yourself too thin and remember how exhausting commuting can be xx

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
What does your Taoist siade think about Pyschology? I heard its rather frowned upon in Taosist medicine.

Whatever you decide - make sure that you will get a qualification that will get you a sustainable job so you can support your son.
I don't know what it is like in America, but in the UK its is getting harder and harder to get good jobs and degrees in things like Sociology or Media are not considered decent degrees or 'non-subjects' by employers.

Best of luck though! Don't spread yourself too thin and remember how exhausting commuting can be xx

Alrighty. Thank you. Psychology is very interesting to me, and I want to get into holistic psychology. I really want to help people learn to love themselves and others. Sociology would go along with the environmental degree. I would have a better idea of how to work with communities. Also one of my favorite kinds of psychology is Socio-Psychology. It looks at the individual and their environment to determine what is affecting them.

Skwim

Veteran Member
So a woman friend I haven't seen in a while made me start to reconsider what I want to do with my life. Originally I wanted to be a German/Education major and teach English in Germany. I saw her the other day and we talked for a while. She is an amazing woman. I am am now thinking of majoring in Psychology and and Sociology with a minor in German. I will then go to a state university and get a masters in Psychology while also getting a degree in Environmental something or another. I would probably remain in the Us then and be a therapist and work with Environmental organizations to educate Americans and help make a difference here where it needs to be made. I would still live in the country amongst a natural setting, but I would work in the city. I think I would also teach classes at state and national parks during the summer if I went this route. I just think maybe I should take responsibility and try to make the world a little better. I want to help people on an individual level (therapist), but also help people learn to love and respect the environment. I wanted to bring my son somewhere that would be good for him, but in Europe they are doing much better with the whole environmental awareness thing. It is here in the US that change needs to occur. I was thinking that I need to try and help bring about a better future for my son and his children. What do y'all think. Some thoughts and feedback would be welcome.

Just a head's up. Your posts would be more user friendly if you used a less eye-straining color.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

I know this is generic advice but I think you should do what you think will make you happy. I do think that the career path you're thinking of purusing is admirable.

It's honorable to not only talk about change but to do your part to bring about the change that you seek.

I work for a non-profit organization that I adore. I don't make a lot of money but I love what I do and it feels good to know that I'm making a difference in my own community. It makes the sacrifice of not making the money that I probably need to be making, worthwhile. To change lives in a positive way...it's amazing.

I believe than when one has a heart of service, they can accomplish great things and touch the lives of many people, in whatever they decide to do.

I wish you the best as your find your path.

Edit: Pursuing not Purusing. :)

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Here is the good thing..You sound "really calm" ..thats good for your son.Go one by one..without going insane with anger and paronoia.

And try ..as hard as you can to say things like "look at those birds"..Arent they pretty..???Look there is a "rock"..Look the trees are blowing in the wind..See that?

Thats about all you can do..

Love

Dallas

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
My initial thought was that you were making a very dramatic change in your life plan; if this is truly an overnight turnaround, my first advice would be to slow down a bit, listen hard to the voices that matter, and know your own motives completely before setting anything in stone. If, however, this is a change that has been gradually coming about in your heart, and has just now blossomed fully, then test your confidence in it. Be sure you are certain of your path before you reach the point of no return.

I could tell you which plan I favor, and which sounds more altruistic, pragmatic, and so forth; but it is not my place to favor one life path above another for you. This is solely your domain.

I certainly wish you clarity in your decision, and every possible blessing on your chosen path, whichever it may be. :blowkiss:

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
Thank you everyone! I did some research earlier and I think I have it figured out. I am going to be a therapist I think. After I get my BA in Psychology from Baldwin-Wallace I am going (at least try) to go to Ohio State University for their graduate program, which is the third best in the country. I would be working towards a PhD in Social Psychology. I would have my tuition paid and get a stipend every month. Then I think I may go to Naropa Uni. some time because they have Transpersonal Counseling Psychology programs there. I would do a focus in Wilderness Therapy. I love to learn so this is a good route for me I think.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Thank you everyone! I did some research earlier and I think I have it figured out. I am going to be a therapist I think. After I get my BA in Psychology from Baldwin-Wallace I am going (at least try) to go to Ohio State University for their graduate program, which is the third best in the country. I would be working towards a PhD in Social Psychology. I would have my tuition paid and get a stipend every month. Then I think I may go to Naropa Uni. some time because they have Transpersonal Counseling Psychology programs there. I would do a focus in Wilderness Therapy. I love to learn so this is a good route for me I think.

That definately sounds like a plan..:)

Love

Dallas