• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some thoughts on schizophrenia

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Hello.

I am diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. My schizophrenia started developing before I was a teenager, younger than most schizos. It took me up to last year to convince myself to get professional medical help. Now that I’ve been a medicated and treated schizophrenia for over a year, I have some thoughts.

Getting professional help was the best choice I’ve made in my life. One percent of the population is schizophrenic, which is rather large I think. Most schizophrenics take up to a decade to seek professional help, such as me. Those early stages of schizophrenia are very dangerous however, suicide risk is high. Ten percent of schizos off themselves, forty percent try. When I didn’t have professional help, I attempted suicide. I know a couple hundred people will read this thread. Perhaps the one reading this is a schizophrenic who is wary of professional help. I understand the feeling, I was there. But I beckon you to seek help. It will help you a lot.

Schizophrenics tend to live 15-20 years less than average. I’m gonna die young, I know this. There are several reasons why schizos die early. 80% are smokers, which is the highest percentage out of mental illnesses. They can’t take care of themselves physically sometimes. I know I can’t keep a healthy diet I haven’t drank water in a month lol.

People would start calling me crazy within a week of knowing me, such as coworkers, before I was medicated. I was deeply hurt and didn’t know how they could tell. That doesn’t happen anymore.

There are things I miss about being unmedicated though.
I would like to say more but I must go to work now.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Hello.

I am diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. My schizophrenia started developing before I was a teenager, younger than most schizos. It took me up to last year to convince myself to get professional medical help. Now that I’ve been a medicated and treated schizophrenia for over a year, I have some thoughts.

Getting professional help was the best choice I’ve made in my life. One percent of the population is schizophrenic, which is rather large I think. Most schizophrenics take up to a decade to seek professional help, such as me. Those early stages of schizophrenia are very dangerous however, suicide risk is high. Ten percent of schizos off themselves, forty percent try. When I didn’t have professional help, I attempted suicide. I know a couple hundred people will read this thread. Perhaps the one reading this is a schizophrenic who is wary of professional help. I understand the feeling, I was there. But I beckon you to seek help. It will help you a lot.

Schizophrenics tend to live 15-20 years less than average. I’m gonna die young, I know this. There are several reasons why schizos die early. 80% are smokers, which is the highest percentage out of mental illnesses. They can’t take care of themselves physically sometimes. I know I can’t keep a healthy diet I haven’t drank water in a month lol.

People would start calling me crazy within a week of knowing me, such as coworkers, before I was medicated. I was deeply hurt and didn’t know how they could tell. That doesn’t happen anymore.

Thank you for sharing.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My brother in law is schizophrenic, has been for close on 20 years. He currently has the idea that reducing his medication makes him feel better. He is also having trouble with water believing it to be drugged. I do hope that he soon realises the benefits of taking the recommend amount of his meds.

I am glad you are now getting treatment. Anti psychotic drugs are not a magic bullet but they do control symptoms enough for the schizophrenic to function in the real world.

Good luck

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Hello.

I'm happy that you started to get help, and I hope that this help will bring to you a healthier and happier life. I also am happy that you're mindful about it, and have done your research, I believe this will help you in the long run. I hope this isn't intrusive but do you mind if I ask what prevents you from drinking water?

I wish you the best in your battles, Xavier. You're a very nice person and I like reading your posts. I see you as a friend.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I hope this isn't intrusive but do you mind if I ask what prevents you from drinking water?
Schizophrenics have both positive and negative symptoms. The positive ones are well known. They are the symptoms which essentially add something that isn't supposed to be there, such as hallucinations and paranoia. The negative symptoms aren't well known by the general populace, but negative symptoms are just as damaging as positive ones. These symptoms take away something that should be there, such as motivation and lack of apathy. Research suggests that it is because of a chemical imbalance in the brain.

I dont know for sure as I'm not a professional, but I'll give you my perspective.

Now I can use willpower to be healthy, but I simply do not care. When I'm thirsty, I know I should drink water, but I shrug my shoulders and drink soda non stop. I've done so much damage to my body already before I received treatment. I exasperated my schizophrenia on purpose with a "friend"'s help. We were aspiring musicians you see, and really naive. As a teenager my psychosis was temporary and spread between months where I was not psychotic. I can't say here how I exasperated it, but I did to the point where I became psychotic 24/7. I've just done so much damage to myself as is that I guess my subconscious just doesn't register that it should be healthy. I really don't know. It's like with severe depression, motivation is sapped. I might be apathetic towards my own health and life. It feels like that.

I wish you the best in your battles, Xavier. You're a very nice person and I like reading your posts. I see you as a friend.
Likewise

Viswa

Hello.

Hello. My elder brother is diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder (both schizophrenia and mood disorder).If situations don't go the way he wish, he gets tensed and "delusions" flow in and "hallucinations" follow. Also when he study for more time than usual, he gets locked up in thoughts unable to find out which is real and unreal.

Can depression and fear alone can be the cause for such? Because he is an 100% teetotaler.

MonkeyFire

Anyone really a telepath? There is nothing wrong with that. The first amendament promises free speech and the rite to practice religion, could that be a good point? Science thinks it is wise, by proving sprituality wrong, but it is only making life bad. Why would someone who loves life believe so heavily in death? And that life has no purpose.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Anyone really a telepath? There is nothing wrong with that. The first amendament promises free speech and the rite to practice religion, could that be a good point? Science thinks it is wise, by proving sprituality wrong, but it is only making life bad. Why would someone who loves life believe so heavily in death? And that life has no purpose.

We are not all American and subject to the first amendment. However most countries have their own version of freedom of religion and freedom from religion.

And religion thinks it is wise by denying science yet using it to publish their denial, that is more than bad, it is hypocritical.

Why? The evidence i guess, one life, there is no evidence for an afterlife so live tje one life as best you can.

What would you mean by purpose? To me the purpose of my life is live it as well as i can and strive to make the best conditions for my children to succeed. I would call that a purpose, what would you call it?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The issue with telepathy is that it is an invasion of privacy. While there is not an explicit biblical prohibtion against it, the right to privacy is implied by the story of Noah and Ham after the flood. Ham is cursed for "exposing" his father. His brothers are rewarded for protecting their father's privacy.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Hello.

Where is the friendly rating when one needs it.