• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some theists and atheists, not so different after all

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
I like your concept, but I think it's missing an important element. It requires more than hope, but also being convinced of something.

Theists are convinced a god exists; atheists are not.
Many theists and atheists do not know for certain if God exist or not. Belief in is not = i know for certain

PureX

Veteran Member
Hmmm... Well an agnostic theist would suspect god exists, but not know for sure. An agnostic would not take a stand either way, but they could hope a god exists.

What you describe to me sounds more like an agnostic than a theist.
They are not mutually exclusive so long as knowledge and belief aren't being conflated. Unfortunately, they often are being conflated by some theists, and some atheists.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Many theists and atheists do not know for certain if God exist or not. Belief in is not = i know for certain

Being convinced doesn't necessarily mean that one knows something without a shadow of a doubt. It can also mean that one suspects something is a certain way.

I am pretty convinced that if I were to try ice skating for the first time, I would fall on my butt. It may not happen, though I just suspect it might.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Some theists and atheists, is not so different.

Definition of the word "to believe":

Belief in is not = i know for certain

Belief in is = to hope something is real and to know something (but not knowing it 100%, or that you can not be certain)

Most theists believe in God. They do not know God exist. They only believe God exist.

And some atheists do hope God exist. Whats the difference between believe and hope? Not much after all. Some theists only hope God exist.
Sure: despite what theists tend to make of it, theism is pretty irrelevant to the vast majority of human existence.

Theists and atheists are more alike than they are different.

PureX

Veteran Member
I would say that the vast majority of theists hope their God exists, as opposed to presuming to know it to be so. Acting on this hope (faith is hope through action) does not mean one presumes to know that it's so. Even though they may talk and act like that. This causes a lot of confusion for outsiders, I think.

Starlight

Exactly. It would require belief, then.

To know God exist = to know for certain

To believe God exist = to hope something is real + to know something (but not knowing it 100%, or that you can not be certain)

By the way, you are right that some atheists and theists think they know that God exists or does not exist. But it is not these atheists and theists that this thread is about

Last edited:

Starlight

I would say that the vast majority of theists hope their God exists, as opposed to presuming to know it to be so. Acting on this hope (faith is hope through action) does not mean one presumes to know that it's so. Even though they may talk and act like that. This causes a lot of confusion for outsiders, I think.
You wrote: This causes a lot of confusion for outsiders, I think

In what way?

Last edited:

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Sure: despite what theists tend to make of it, theism is pretty irrelevant to the vast majority of human existence.

That's a pretty bold statement, considering we don't know what people's thoughts on the subject were 300k years ago. What we know of recorded history, and even pre-history, is that god/supernatural beliefs shaped cultures in a very massive way...

Starlight

You are wrong. 84% of the humans in this world is theists

Yes they are more alike than different

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
To know God exist = to know for certain

To believe God exist = to hope something is real + to know something (but not knowing it 100%, or that you can not be certain)

By the way, you are right that some atheists and theists think they know that God exists or does not exist. But it is not these atheists and theists that this thread is about

Yes, but belief also requires being convinced, which I addressed here. Being convinced doesn't mean sure knowledge.

Being convinced doesn't necessarily mean that one knows something without a shadow of a doubt. It can also mean that one suspects something is a certain way.

I am pretty convinced that if I were to try ice skating for the first time, I would fall on my butt. It may not happen, though I just suspect it might.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
You are wrong. 84% of the humans in this world is theists
How does this address what was actually said?
He is talking about all of human existence and you are talking about now....
Not only that, but he is talking about relevance to human existence and you are merely presenting the number of theists...

Starlight

How does this address what was actually said?
He is talking about all of human existence and you are talking about now....
Not only that, but he is talking about relevance to human existence and you are merely presenting the number of theists...
Belief in God is something people have believed at all times

Dave Watchman

And some atheists do hope God exist. Whats the difference between believe and hope? Not much after all. Some theists only hope God exist.

They ALL believe that God exists, but they are in denial because they do not WANT God to exist.

I thought I solved this yesterday when I posted the William Sanford Nye video.

Watch his eyes and listen carefully to what he says:

The LAST thing that he wants is to: "have a Super Entity that's going to tell me, or us what to do".

Look man, read this Script:

"The rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands nor give up worshiping demons and idols of gold and silver and bronze and stone and wood, which cannot see or hear or walk, nor did they repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts.​

Even after experiencing hard evidence, these people still do not want to "have a Super Entity that's going to tell me, or us what to do"

And this one:

"And they blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores; and they did not repent of their deeds.​

People want to do what they want to do.

They don't want to repent of their deeds.

Even when they see blood and fire and columns of smoke.

And even as the Lord said whosoever shall call out on His Name shall be saved, they would rather take the gate that leads to destruction.

"Let the wicked man forsake his own way and the unrighteous man his own thoughts;
let him return to the LORD, that He may have compassion, and to our God, for He will freely pardon.​