• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some Studio Ghibli love

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay so my friend and I just had a bit of a movie marathon involving Studio Ghibli primarily. And yes I am a longtime fan.

So I wanna show them a little bit of love

My personal faves include Grave of the Fireflies. We actually watched this in one my high school classes. I can’t remember which, I think History class, sort of as an example of the Japanese “view” of the war.
I guess it was moreso used as a jumping off point for discussion. Also I think my teacher might have just been a fan of the film lol

A very interesting and confronting film, imo.
I don’t think I have a preference for the sub or dubbed version. I think both are equally really well done

Porko Rosso.
Like most of my experience with Ghibli, I saw this randomly on the free to air channel here called SBS, which primarily deals in “foreign media.” So like European cinema, Japanese, Chinese and Asian theatre in general.
Both subbed and dubbed versions of films an TV shows.
All in all, it’s just a fun adventure flick, I think.
Though why the main character is a pig is a bit random. Like I know the joke “when pigs fly” but still
Oh well

Princess Mononoke, this is epic. I love this film.
What Avatar should have been really lol

Spirited Away. My introduction to Ghibli through a friend.
An epic that’s a lot of fun and a little creepy

My neighbour Totoro.
Just a relaxing chill movie really. Something to put on in the background if you want a calm relaxing movie

Castle in the Sky. A fun fantasy romp complete with pirates and Mark Hamill doing a villain voice over. What’s not to love?

So are there any Ghibli films you like, dislike, love?
Prefer the subs or dubs?
Comment and discuss as you like
Whatever you want.