• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some questions

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
Hello again,

I have been reading the Qur'an and I do have some questions that hopefully someone can answer or guide me to the right place to find the answer. When it says in the Qur'an to, "Fear Allah" what exactly does it mean? Surely it can't mean actual fear like a woman who fears of an abusive husband who has returned home or the like.

I also have a question about what kinds of people make it to Jannah. Is it only Muslims or does it include people of various faiths? The reason I ask as I find either I am misunderstanding or just do not have the correct historical context. It talks about the Poor being one of the first groups to enter Jannah so I would assume that includes non-Muslims. Yet at times the Qur'an can be heavy handed towards Christians and Jews. I don't know if this is specific towards ones who attack Islam, profess a faith in God but are lying, or an indictment of the religions as a whole. I would assume the first but I just want to be sure.

Short for now will get back. Just leaving work.

We fear Allah (swt) because out of love. Just like I fear my parents. I do not want to disappoint them. In a smaller sense my parents are my creator. Allah (swt) in a much larger sense is our creator, similarly my love for him is simply due to him being my creator. We fear that we might make a mistake or err on our part to be a disappointment and as a result be further away from Allah (swt). We do not fear Allah (swt) for who he is, as he is yet most gracious and merciful. If I have a selfish desire to hurt someone without anyone knowing I cannot do such as I fear that my actions will be a dissappointment and result in me distancing myself away from my creator. I will get back to you with an article that I read that had more detail.

Quran has on multiple accounts kept a distinction between those of Christians and Jews that are believers vs those who are not. Also relates how they were shown great favours and they were righteous. I will get back to you with more specific verses. I need to expand on this time permitting. The key thing to note is that Allah (swt) has laid out examples of good Jews and Christians of the past, also mentioned those of today. Jannah is not an exclusive place for Muslims.

Peace be on you.

Edit:

Love is an amazing force. On the one hand, it fills the heart with an urge to seek the beloved, while on the other it instills in the heart a concurrent sense of fear as well. Love generates a very unique sense of fear – the fear of losing the loved one. Hence, when the Qur’an speaks of the ‘fear of Allah’, what is meant is not the fear of harm. The concept of the ‘fear of Allah’ is, in reality, the fear of losing Allah or in other words, of being distanced away from Him due to His displeasure. Thus, when we read in the Qur’an “Me alone should you fear” (Ch. 2:V.41), it is the fear of God’s displeasure that is being mentioned. In the Qur’anic terminology, this unique form of fear – the fear of losing the Beloved – is called “Taqwa”. One who treads the path of Taqwa is called a Muttaqi. When the love for God surpasses the combined love for everything else and when the fear of losing Him exceeds all other fears combined, then it can be assumed that the Muttaqi is on the path of discovering the splendours of God’s Absolute Oneness. Absolute-oneness/

Additionally the factor that one must also consider on this note is that the problems of the world can simply be solved by replacing the fears we have with only the fear of God. How can I be forced to do something cruel if I only fear God. How can I be bribed at a time when I really need the money. How can I be forced by threatening my life if I only fear God. This is the fear that we should look to create in our hearts such that it offers protection to society from evils and protects others for succumbing to temptations.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Hello again,

I have been reading the Qur'an and I do have some questions that hopefully someone can answer or guide me to the right place to find the answer. When it says in the Qur'an to, "Fear Allah" what exactly does it mean? Surely it can't mean actual fear like a woman who fears of an abusive husband who has returned home or the like.

I also have a question about what kinds of people make it to Jannah. Is it only Muslims or does it include people of various faiths? The reason I ask as I find either I am misunderstanding or just do not have the correct historical context. It talks about the Poor being one of the first groups to enter Jannah so I would assume that includes non-Muslims. Yet at times the Qur'an can be heavy handed towards Christians and Jews. I don't know if this is specific towards ones who attack Islam, profess a faith in God but are lying, or an indictment of the religions as a whole. I would assume the first but I just want to be sure.

Brother Rational_mind explained it very well.

We fear god if not obeying his rules on earth.

God isn't pointing a gun on our heads,but to fear our relation with god which will be affected badly if we made bad things.

in few words fear out of love.like saying i fear that i will not see you ever again.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Hello again,

Regarding paradise,i don't trust that most of it will be of the poor,that was mentioned only in ahadith and never mentioned in the quran.

whereas those who attain to faith and do righteous deeds – they are destined for paradise, therein to abide. (2:82)

Behold, [only] those who attain to faith and do righteous deeds and humble themselves before their Sustainer – [only] they are destined for paradise, and there shall they abide. (11:23)

Excepted, however, shall be those who repent and attain to faith and do righteous deeds: for it is they who will enter paradise and will not be wronged in any way: (19:60)

whereas anyone – be it man or woman – who does [whatever he can] of good deeds and is a believer withal, shall enter paradise, and shall not be wronged by as much as [would fill] the groove of a date-stone. (4:124)

[There,] anyone who has done a bad deed will be requited with no more than the like thereof, whereas anyone, be it man or woman, who has done righteous deeds and is a believer withal – all such will enter paradise, wherein they shall be blest with good beyond all reckoning! (40:40)

Dingbat

Thank you both for the "Fear Allah" explanation it definitely sheds some light on the situation. Also thanks for the brief explinations about Jannah I figured it was for those who were believers and did good deeds but wanted to make sure. Look forward to the articles as well.

Dingbat

Hello again everyone. I have been reading the Qur'an and once again came across something that I wish to ask a question about. It is specifically in the sura al-Mā'idah 5:39

And as for the man who steals and the woman who steals, cut off their hands in retribution of their offence as an exemplary punishment from Allah. And Allah is Mighty, Wise.

Am I missing something here? It seems rather obscene to chop a hand off for theft especially since theft covers everything from feeding oneself to conning people out of money and property. The commentary was of little help as well since it states that Islamic Scholars can not even agree exactly on what the verse means. I guess I find it hard to reconcile that with a peaceful and benevolent God so I assume I must be missing something here.

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
Hello again everyone. I have been reading the Qur'an and once again came across something that I wish to ask a question about. It is specifically in the sura al-Mā'idah 5:39

And as for the man who steals and the woman who steals, cut off their hands in retribution of their offence as an exemplary punishment from Allah. And Allah is Mighty, Wise.

Am I missing something here? It seems rather obscene to chop a hand off for theft especially since theft covers everything from feeding oneself to conning people out of money and property. The commentary was of little help as well since it states that Islamic Scholars can not even agree exactly on what the verse means. I guess I find it hard to reconcile that with a peaceful and benevolent God so I assume I must be missing something here.

Why are certain punishments in Shariah Law so severe, such as the cutting of a hand for stealing?

Is amputation of a thief’s hand the Islamic punishment for theft?

For the punishment of cutting the hands of a thief, Islam has also laid down limits on conditions such as that the stolen goods should not be edible on which the sustenance of life depends or pilfering or lifting. For such offences some other form of befitting punishment is meted out.

The philosophy of punishments in Islam indicates that Islam provides punishment only as a last resort and the purpose behind is reform brought about through a blending of human values and justice tempered with mercy. Encouraging forgiveness where it is likely to reform and improve things, providing severe punishment where there is clear disregard and exceeding the limit of law.
Philosophy of Punishment in Islam
DR. IFTIKHAR AHMAD AYAZ

One must realize that a real Islamic society of high standards must be formed before Shariah Law is to be implemented. I find that we find such laws to be barbaric as we cannot imagine what would happen if it was implemented. What we have done is accepted theft, lying, and adultery as minor offences only because we have completely failed at exercising any real control over such problems that have taken a norm in the modern world. It is difficult for us to even imagine a society where such would not be a normal practice.

In Canada I have witnessed youth shop lifting as it holds no serious consequence. Minors are openly aware that they will not have to take any serious punishment and as a result they have themselves stated that if they do get caught it is not that big of a deal. During High School I had my $200 electronic device stolen from my brother with some other High Schools student snatching it while his friend threatened with an apparent conceal gun under his shirt. I had paid for it by working the paper route and making $28 or so a month. I had bought it broken and repair it to make some money. In less than 5 mins it was taken away and the person was fully aware that since he is a minor it was not a big deal. I have seen youth and even adults speak about theft as it is their god given birth right. The moment they know their is no witness they grab whatever they want. We have witnessed what happens in USA during natural disasters where outright looting is done. Moreover, so many people justify theft by saying it won't affect the rich person. Convenience stores which are run by poor immigrant families get pulled guns on and get shop lifted day in and day out. Working at convenience stores has now become an open invitation to be pulled a gun on.

What the intent I have of my post is to point out that such laws are to be implemented when a true Muslim Society of high order is established. Such a society would be aware of the consequences of what we now try to justify as small crimes. In such a society theft and murder would be rarely found. Today we would wipe out the hands of significant population if we implemented such a law in this society. Without such deterrents I find that we invite back crime which tears apart at the foundations of society. Every day people who stay at Hotels empty them out as if it is their God given birth right. We fail to think past as what happens to the poor people who suffer at the end by losing their hardwork.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Good question.:)

The verse in the quran

As for the thief, both male and female, cut off their hands. It is the reward of their own deeds, an exemplary punishment from Allah. Allah is Mighty, Wise. (5:38)

Followed with the verse

But whoso repenteth after his wrongdoing and amendeth, lo! Allah will relent toward him. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (5:39)

You can see in the 2nd verse that god is merciful and we should be so with the thief if he did so because he is in need,but if stealing is to harm people and even some robbers can kill for money,then cutting hand is a slight punishment.

The ruler Umar ibn Al-Khattab the closest friend to prophet Mohammed pbuh had order not to cut the hand of theives because they were in need.

"He used to monitor very closely the public policy and had kept the needs of the public central to his leadership approach. As second caliph of Islam, he refused to chop off the hands of the thieves because he felt he had fallen short of his responsibility to provide meaningful employment to all his subjects. As a ruler of a vast kingdom, His vision was to ensure that every one in his kingdom should sleep on a full stomach.
If a dog dies hungry on the banks of the River Euphrates, Umar will be responsible for dereliction of duty.
—(Umar)
Umar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One example of mercy shown in this video for a muslim a guy and one theif who was in need for money for food.

[youtube]JmXGL8WIEbI[/youtube]
Thief became a Muslim

Last edited:

Pink Top Hat

Hello again,

Dingbat please do not rely on only one view of Islam. Views vary and if something sounds ultra conservative don't always assume it is true.
Unfortunately today there is a lot of Wahabi creeping into Muslims brains. Think Bin Laden etc where views are radical and extreme. Try also to stay away from Salafism and Wahabism.
You will find your own path in time and Allah will lead you to the real Islam if you keep an open mind and reject extremist ideology which is very dangerous.

There is an excellent documentary for anyone wanting to know more about Islam for people like you and to be honest there are millions of Muslims out there who would benefit from it as well.
It's very watchable and interesting and one of the best documentaries around showing what I consider the real Islam as opposed to the radical nonsense we see today.

Fear Allah just means that he is the creator and out final judge and no one is above him so we should fear being on the wrong side of his message to mankind.

All good people will go to heaven.
Christians and Jews are Muslims also.
In the Quran Jesus PBUH and his disciples are called Muslims.
Muslim is one who surrenders to one God
Hindus and Sikhs also surrender to one God and if their religion came before Mohammed PBUH they would also have been mentioned in the Quran

Here is the link. It is 3 hours long but really really good if you want to learn about Islam.

[youtube]5-8nONNli6U[/youtube]
The Life of Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) - YouTube

Once you have watched the above another GREAT documentary is the Crescent and the Cross the Crusades in 2 parts.

Did you know that Crusaders ate Muslims in Syria during the 1st crusade!
The Siege of Ma'arra

You will learn a lot watching this also

part 1
[youtube]zqK-RuntywY[/youtube]
The Crusades: Crescent and the Cross. Full version: pt 1 of 2 [Full Documentary] - YouTube

part 2
[youtube]7pOPz5xPFTo[/youtube]
The Crusades: Crescent and the Cross. Full version: pt 2 of 2 - YouTube

I have had a passive interest in Islam since reading about the Ottoman Empire and I read parts of the Quran shortly after 9/11 to dissolve incorrect rumors going around at the time. I have never taken a serious study of it though and I am looking at correcting it.

Is Homosexuality really worth of a death penalty or removal as a Muslim?

Do Muslims not date?

Also how does one eat Halal especially in areas where there is little to no such foods available?

Also I have been looking on getting my hands on a physical copy of the Quran to study since I find it easier to study books I can hold. Yet being heavily constrained by finances can't at this point afford to really spend anything. Does anyone know if this site: allahsquran.com/free/is legit? Thanks for any help you can give it is much appreciated.

I will try to explain the answers to the best of my knowledge
Do Muslims not date?

Watch this Dating in Islam | Learn and Clear Your Misconceptions About Islam.

Also how does one eat Halal especially in areas where there is little to no such foods available?

Well, if you are talking about meat then it not necessary for a muslim to must have a meat, he can rely on vegetables too if there is no meat available, and if you are talking some one lost in jungle and there was not food except some non halal animals or things then if there is fear of death to a person , then Islam allows to eat the non halal food for survival only.

If there is available halal food then muslim should not have to go for non halal food.

I think if you just google then you can find many sites which can deliver you Holy Quran at your address for free.

Dingbat

Thank you all for the information and kindness you have shown me in regards to my questions. I do have a few more questions though this is more about converting and what to expect. I know Jews tend to have a hard time amongst certain circles in accepting converts and I was wondering if Islam had similar problems or is it a much more accepting atmosphere of converts? What exactly is the conversion process? Does it vary based on the Imam or are there set things that need to be done? Also if I was to convert as a white male would I find it hard to find a wife? I know a lot of that question is cultural because certain ethnic groups like Bengalis tend to request their children marry other Bengalis but I am wondering how much of that will I run into?

If I can think of any other questions about the process I will probably ask since I don't have a Mosque anywhere near where I live.

otokage007

Muslims do not date. It is prohibited in Islam for a man and woman who are allowed to be married to be alone with one another or touch one another while they are unmarried.

Islam prohibits men and women from mingling.

I know this whole thread is just out of my bussiness since I'm not a muslim. But I just read that and quite shocked me. Do you really obey that kind of things? Or u guys date in secret and pretend u obey that? For example, you, what's your particular case? Do u date?

No offense, just really curious about this :areyoucra

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Thank you all for the information and kindness you have shown me in regards to my questions. I do have a few more questions though this is more about converting and what to expect. I know Jews tend to have a hard time amongst certain circles in accepting converts and I was wondering if Islam had similar problems or is it a much more accepting atmosphere of converts? What exactly is the conversion process? Does it vary based on the Imam or are there set things that need to be done? Also if I was to convert as a white male would I find it hard to find a wife? I know a lot of that question is cultural because certain ethnic groups like Bengalis tend to request their children marry other Bengalis but I am wondering how much of that will I run into?

If I can think of any other questions about the process I will probably ask since I don't have a Mosque anywhere near where I live.

God is your best witness. You can do it alone, in your home or you can do it in a Mosque.
If you prefer to take shahada in the Mosque, then you must see the Imam.
There is many video on YT about this, and it seems very touching.
I have a friend who converted when she was around 18 years old, alone in her room.
I know many people who converted but i never asked them if they went to the Mosque for it or no. You can take the shahada alone, or with a friend if you want a witness, but God is already a witness.

Islam is different from Judaism concerning the conversion.
If you believe in Allah and Muhammad, then you are a muslim. You have to learn and practice in your rythm.
I think that in Judaism they want to see if you are motivated or if you have a certain level of knowledge in the religion.
But not in Islam, because you can die at any moment and because it's between you and God. Your faith and practice will be better with time.

About the mariage, the fact that you are white, is not a problem.
In Europe i can tell you that there is many white guys italians, french, portuguese who converted and married black, arab, or indian muslim.
Of course, there is some people like everywhere who prefer to marry people from their etnicity, but people are kind of open specially nowadays.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Conversion is simple and easy.

in case there is no mosque or any islamic center near to your place of residence then you have to do it yourself.

There are many YT videos showing how conversion is done.

By admiting that there is no god but allah and Mohammed pbuh is his servant and messenger.

Watch one sample video

[youtube]-gZOxddqjjw[/youtube]
Christian becomes Muslim - Street Dawah-'Live' - YouTube

Marriage to muslim woman of course is allowed since the person accepted the laws of islam whereever he is from.

My cousin had studied computer engineering in Japan and her professor was fond about her talent and high morals that he accepted islam and they are married now and they are a happy family.

After admitting islam the person should
Eating halal foods whenever it is possible.
We should avoid all kind of intoxicants.
Not to oppress or harm anyone even if an animal.
Avoid any sexual relationship outside of marriage or before marriage.
respecting parents even if they aren't muslims
Help the one who you know that he is in need if you are able to do so
to advice the others smoothly to the real beauty of islam

Sermon of prophet mohammad shortly before his death

[youtube]qAqW8jyHMxY[/youtube]
Last Sermon of PROPHET MUHAMMAD (PBUH) - YouTube

Last edited:

If you want to accept islam you simply had to believe it in your heart and you are muslim them, Allah know whats in your mind. As you are not doing any thing wrong so why are you hiding (unless you have a death fear) so you can annouce it openly.

Islam is very very very simple and easy

cocolia42

[FONT=&quot]Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah
[/FONT]Reverting to Islam is very simple. I did so myself just about a month ago. I've learned most of what I know from middle eastern Muslims that I've met online (the closest Islamic center for me is over 30 miles away).
As a white American, I find many of the middle easterners don't understand some of the difficulties you may face as an American Muslim. There is a young man (from New York, I believe) who has a blog, youtube channel and facebook by the name Dawah Addict. He keeps the information very simple for beginners. You might find it helpful.
Dawah Addict
Dawah Addict - YouTube
https://www.facebook.com/dawahaddict

Just remember to go at your own pace. There is so much to learn (and probably unlearn) so take your time. Read the Quran daily and learn the 5 prayers. This is most important. I learned the 5 prayers in English first, then memorized the Arabic. It didn't take long. Check out this youtube channel for word-by-word lessons:
Arabic for Islam - YouTube

Please keep us posted. Insha'allah you will find complete peace as a Muslim.

loverOfTruth

Salaam Dingbat,
First of all, congratulations on your decision to accept Islam as the way of life and Allah(swt) as the only creator and God worthy of worship. May Allah(swt) make everything in your future easy and smooth Inshallah(God Willing). I think other people have answered your questions already but I would just add few things.

Muslims all over and especially in USA are very welcoming of converts. You should not have any problem finding friends/help for anything if you go to a mosque and start mingling with people and tell them your story. Also, about the marriage - muslims with asian background are more open these days to marry a white male convert than before. However, there are enough people accepting Islam in USA that I think you shouldn't have any problem finding even white female muslima for marriage. But of course all other things about the marriage remains as for anyone else, such as finding the right match.

And always keep asking Allah(swt) for help for anything you need. And remember, you made a huge stride towards God, no doubt He will help you as Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) said that God said: "He who draws close to Me(God) a hand's span, I(God) will draw close to him an arm's length. And whoever draws near Me(God) an arm's length, I(God) will draw near him a fathom's length. And whoever comes to Me(God) walking, I(God) will go to him running."

Dingbat

Hello again everyone and I thank you all for the even and warm welcome you have given me especially in regards to my seemingly endless questions. I don't have questions so much as wanting to voice doubts I have about some things so please bear with me. I do not have much in the way of doubts about the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) and what he brought to humanity. I do have some doubts about some issues though that are living me hung up about what to do.

I have seen Muslims argue and fight over whether Music is haraam or not. Honestly I don't get why it is and I admittedly have not finished the Qur'an yet but this leaves me confused. As through music many times I have felt a connection with the Divine and spiritually fed. So a complete ban on music seems rather absurd to me especially coming from a musical background. This is probably one of the bigger stumbling blocks.

Treatment of Homosexuality leaves me confused as well. I have also once again seen mixed responses from unsure of what to do to outright hatred and bigotry. I have many friends that are homosexual and they are great people who have helped expand my horizons and open my eyes to various different viewpoints I have not considered before.

Finally the biggest hurdle I have run into is Muslims themselves. I have done a lot of studying especially about certain questions online and can I say that the demographic I run into outside of this forum is rather...frightening? I will admit the internet tends to draw out the fringe and give them an easy platform to look big on. Yet I can't tell you how many I have run into applauding barbarism in Afghanistan by the Taliban against Women, praising Osama bin Laden, praising Wahhabism, and taking very extreme views against other sects of Islam and people of the Book. This conflicts with what I have studied so far in both the Qur'an and the life of the Prophet but it really does disgust me. How anyone can praise the maiming of women and children is beyond me let alone the killing of innocent people. It leaves me confused and wondering if Islam is truly from God surely he could not mean for this kind of barbarism.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Hello again everyone and I thank you all for the even and warm welcome you have given me especially in regards to my seemingly endless questions. I don't have questions so much as wanting to voice doubts I have about some things so please bear with me. I do not have much in the way of doubts about the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) and what he brought to humanity. I do have some doubts about some issues though that are living me hung up about what to do.

I have seen Muslims argue and fight over whether Music is haraam or not. Honestly I don't get why it is and I admittedly have not finished the Qur'an yet but this leaves me confused. As through music many times I have felt a connection with the Divine and spiritually fed. So a complete ban on music seems rather absurd to me especially coming from a musical background. This is probably one of the bigger stumbling blocks.

Treatment of Homosexuality leaves me confused as well. I have also once again seen mixed responses from unsure of what to do to outright hatred and bigotry. I have many friends that are homosexual and they are great people who have helped expand my horizons and open my eyes to various different viewpoints I have not considered before.

Finally the biggest hurdle I have run into is Muslims themselves. I have done a lot of studying especially about certain questions online and can I say that the demographic I run into outside of this forum is rather...frightening? I will admit the internet tends to draw out the fringe and give them an easy platform to look big on. Yet I can't tell you how many I have run into applauding barbarism in Afghanistan by the Taliban against Women, praising Osama bin Laden, praising Wahhabism, and taking very extreme views against other sects of Islam and people of the Book. This conflicts with what I have studied so far in both the Qur'an and the life of the Prophet but it really does disgust me. How anyone can praise the maiming of women and children is beyond me let alone the killing of innocent people. It leaves me confused and wondering if Islam is truly from God surely he could not mean for this kind of barbarism.

The quran mentioned already what is to be avoided or to be regarded as a big sin.(haraam).

Such as to avoid intoxicants,forbidding pork meat,dead meat..etc.
So did the quran asked us to avoid music or to be forbidden ?

Why they have to forbid something which god didn't ask for ?,that seemed silly to me as to many other muslims,we have to use the reasoning.

One important fact that most of the musical instruments of today have been invented during the Islamic golden era,and then some scholars of today are saying haraam,AMAZING !!!

Issa(Jesus) pbuh as we know him that he born by virgin Mary without father and that he is god's messenger,but he isn't god himself and not son of the almighty god allah,so should we believe the people if they said Issa pbuh is god,or 3 in 1..etc

Let me hear your comments and to move to next issue.

[youtube]DRqTV1P9Zyk[/youtube]
Hasbi Rabbi (Clear Voice and Video) - YouTube

loverOfTruth

Hi Dingbat,
I am glad that you are sincere in you effort to finding the truth and hence the questions. It is perfectly alright. Let me try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

I think the view that all sorts of music is completely haraam is a minority view. Allah knows best. However, as it stands today, main problem is the culture of music and the lyrics. The more you listen to them the more it takes you away from the remembrance of God - not to mention the waste of time. Because it really does have an effect on your mind. Please see this talk by a brother who used to be music lover.
[youtube]nKzAmkB44ik[/youtube]
Addicted Music lovers must watch!!! The Deen Show - YouTube
Personally, I would prefer to listen to only Islamic songs by such as Yusuf Islam (a british ex-music artist convert to Islam), Sami Yusuf etc.

Homosexuality is a sin just like adultery is. And no where in the Qur'an it says that all homosexuals should be put to death. At an individual level, we shouldn't judge people just like we shouldn't for any other sins. As according to one of the sayings of Prophet Muhammad(pbuh), a prostitute will enter Paradise for showing kindness to a thirsty dog by fetching water for it with her own shoes. So you never know what can cause God to show Mercy, Forgiveness and grant paradise to who. And that sinner might be in a better state than us eventually.

However, it is not right for the people who believe something to be wrong or a sin to at least not encourage/aid such acts so not to add to further moral decay in the society. Ultimately, anything our Creator forbids(alcohol, gambling, adultery, pornography, homosexuality etc.) it is for our own benefit and the objective is to prevent harm, corruption and immorality in the society. It really doesn't take a genius to figure that out - we just need to read some studies done on the effect of all those actions in the society and/or studies on those who are involved in such acts and you'll know that.

Now, there are extreme view points in every group that exist on the face of the earth. Sometimes literalism, sometimes ignorance(note : sometimes people in the west fail to realize that innocent uneducated people are misled by some with agenda to do the wrong things) and sometimes hatred due to past experiences cause such belief. The ones who mislead people probably forget the following verses in the Holy Qur’an:
"Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things.(Al-Qur'an 2:256)"
AND...
“O ye who believe! stand out firmly for Allah, as witnesses to fair dealing, and let not the hatred of others to you make you swerve to wrong and depart from justice. Be just: that is next to piety: and fear Allah. For Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do.” (Al-Qur’an 5:8).
And yet sometimes what feels extreme to some (due to the lack of understanding of the big picture), seems perfectly acceptable to others. Some of these issues can be objective and yet some subjective. You really have to investigate each individual scenario and study different opinions and then take it from there.

Also, you have to take what you get from the western media with a grain of salt. Politics in so called "Muslim countries" may or may not have any Islamic basis. Often dictators and politicians will use the name of Islam for their own purposes. One should remember to go to the source of Islam and separate what the true religion of Islam says from what is portrayed in the media.” [1]

However, it is noteworthy that most westerners “don’t know the experience of being dominated by another political or economic power. They find it hard to appreciate the hurt much of the West’s involvement in the Middle East has caused Muslims or understand the frustration that fuels much of the violence the extremists commit. Western Christians often don’t understand poverty and oppression either - because their lives have been relatively free from injustice and want.”[2]. Hence, it makes it easier for the biased western media to create those stereotypes and prejudices about Islam and Muslims.

Finally, as you probably already know that Islam is a complete way of life - a guidance for the human being so they don't go astray to the wrong and away from the remembrance of God. That's why there are many issues to deal with . However, the most important one is to acknowledge the oneness of our Creator, God. Just by believing and pronouncing the statement of faith (that There is no god but GOD and Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) is the messenger of God) , one will become a Muslim and will be avoiding the only 'Unforgivable' sin (according to Islam) of denying God/associating partners with God, even though you won't be utilizing the true benefit of Islam/guidance from God unless you start practicing the other aspects of the faith. No one expects someone to adopt a new way of life right away from day one. If one can do that, great - if not, that's fine too. However, one should eventually be willing to adopt them to avoid sinning after all that is the purpose of acknowledging God so we can gain His pleasure and compassion in this world and hereafter. Right ?

Hopefully, this answers some of your questions. Sorry about the long response.

Peace.

[1] Top Ten Misconceptions about Islam
[2] Isa Masih May 1997: Christian misconceptions about Islam

Last edited: