• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some Questions about Your Faith

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I have some questions I'd like to ask you. All of you.

The answers may prove useful in future discussion. I thank you for your time and input.

1) What does your religion/view of the world say about the beginning?

2) What does it say about humans in relation to everything else?

3) What does it say about God/gods?

4) What does it base it's authority/usefulness on? (IE: revelation, teachings, problems needing a solution, etc)

5) Does it have a single founding figure?

6) Did that founder in any way demonstrate their claim to authority as credible?

7) Do you think others/non-believers would find the alleged evidence convincing?

8) Where does human nature stand in your worldview? (IE: Good, mostly good, neither, bad, mostly bad)

9) What solutions does your worldview offer to human problems?

10) Is your worldview concerned with suffering as an evil?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

The answers may prove useful in future discussion. I thank you for your time and input.

4) What does it base it's authority/usefulness on? (IE: revelation, teachings, problems needing a solution, etc)

6) Did that founder in any way demonstrate their claim to authority as credible?

7) Do you think others/non-believers would find the alleged evidence convincing?

8) Where does human nature stand in your worldview? (IE: Good, mostly good, neither, bad, mostly bad)

Before answering these, by chance do you work for Cambridge Analytica? ;)

David1967

Premium Member

Lower than angels but created in Gods image.

That there is one God that is creator of all.

Words of Prophets, Apostles and Christ.

Jesus

Through teachings and miracles, and the resurrection.

Some do, as there are people added to the ranks often, but many do not.

Human nature has potential for extreme evil, to good, or complete apathy.

No blanket solution. Each problem is unique. (Note; This is my opinion ,not my religions.)

Depends on the cause of the suffering. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends .

Curious George

Veteran Member

That no god begat it.
Hmm. Still thinking on this.
That they are non-existent.
Human thought and reason.
No.
N/A
Yes

Niether
None.
No.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Beginningless.
Part of everything , brahman.

God has 3 perfections ... primal soul, absolute realiuty, and pure consciousness

Inner knowledge

No

No founder

I don't care. Probably mot, as most people have beliefs already.

Neutral ... inherently good
As individuals, we can transcend them, but they're thee for a purpose.

No. My answers are in the test too, except for this one which is 10.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well... After some more soul searching, I came upon a free online class at coursera.com. Universities around the world contribute to create sample classes in practically most subjects fom business and computers to art history and teaching childen. I took Healing with the Arts. Ive been an artist all my life and surgery seperated me. Im finding it gradually. Buddhism is fact and very well worth following.

Art is my life

We are born with the spirit of life. We are born to be and live as creative brings. Life begins at the womb. All life from water. We are made up of mostly water. We cant live without it. Its health. Its purity. Its ever flowing like the rivers I watch from time to time.

Oh my. Creativity is in the heart of each person. Whether they believe in god or not, how we express ourselves is how our positive energy rises or falls within us.

Our self. Our mind. Our expressions. Our emotions. Our faith. Our morals. The arts are our "dogma" and its with us life long.

) Did that founder in any way demonstrate their claim to authority as credible?

Yes. Try it.

Balanced. Karma. Noble Truths etc. Technically.

Respecting each others differences and "cleaning up" our religious histories to respect our beliefs and not our politics.

No.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

1) That I wasn't there, at least in any way that I can remember it now. There are lots of stories about it, though, and some of those stories have more/better evidence about it, although of course there are still unanswered questions regarding the apparent beginning of the universe, and the Earth in its solar system.

2) Humans are entities, just like everything else. There's lots of ways to draw outlines of, and relationships between every thing that is, but individual humans are temporary nodes of matter and energy in a (or many) networks of things in relation to each other. We are all kin, relatives, parts of the same whole.

3) For a singular universal omnimax creator deity, not much. If such a thing actually exists, I cannot possibly comprehend it. That also goes for much lesser deities down to things that might be for all intents and purposes 'omnimax' but limited to the Earth, or even a portion of the earth.

When you finally get down to the size of things that I might actually be able to comprehend at least in part (mountains, a pond, a tree, etc.), I would hardly call them gods, even though I might recognize them as powerful spirits or entities in their own right.

4) Experience, learning, reason, and recognition that I'm just a little guy in a great big cosmos and am limited in my ability to perceive and conceive said cosmos.

5) Me? But certainly, I've learned a great deal from others.

6) Sure, I'm credible. But I also try to recognize my limitations and biases, and try to not be dogmatic, so that I might actually be able to learn new stuff.

7) Maybe, maybe not. What I accept is probably not what others will accept, and vice versa.

8) Categories such as good/bad, good/evil etc., only exist as relative terms. Humans, like all living things (and I think, all things, period) are. We are capable of being good or bad or indifferent (etc.) in relation to each other or anything else. The important thing is to be respectful in what you do.

9) If people were to follow my worldview, we'd as a society would live much closer to the land, and be much more careful and deliberate about what we do. For example, we wouldn't pump petroleum out of the ground in one part of the world, use it to make cheap plastic crap in another place in the world, and then sell it in yet another, all the while burning lots more to extract it and move it around...

10) Suffering is part of what living (and existing, really) is about. One should try to minimize the amount of suffering they cause, and treat those they harm with respect, and try to make up for the harms caused, at least among others, the relations of those harmed. Evil, as noted above, is a relative term--what is considered good for one may be considered evil by another, and vice versa.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself

That there is no beginning

That humans are at the top of creation, only humans have immortal souls.

Only one God that is unknowable in it's essence. The Manifestations of God represent God in the world of creation.

Revelation by the Messengers.

Yes, Baha'u'llah. But all of the Manifestations helped establish the Faith.

Yes, He did, through His Writings and His Self.

Not very many people today find it convincing. It tests everyone.

Man can be the worst of all creation or the best of creation.

It offers world unity. There is more, but that is the central thing.

Yes. We have ways to cope with the problem of evil in suffering.