• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some questions about evolution (genetics etc) and possible implications for creationism

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
One has to be careful when measuring relative amounts of DNA and it looks as if your source was not. There are different ways of measuring similarity and if one uses a different method for orangutans than one does for pigs it might look like pigs are ore closely related to us than orangutans are by the numbers without any qualifications. In fact if you scan down to where they get specific about pigs their sources in a scientific one. In other words they screwed the pooch and you need not take all of their claims seriously.
The latter seems to apply to claims frequently made about evolution by creationist websites as well.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
OK, glad I found this thread because -- I have a question. :) Can you explain DNA? After you explain DNA (no links, please in your own words, just want to know if you understand it because 'opinions' abound about what it means in terms of evolution .)..Furthermore, after you explain DNA, I have other questions. Thanks.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
OK, glad I found this thread because -- I have a question. :) Can you explain DNA? After you explain DNA (no links, please in your own words, just want to know if you understand it because 'opinions' abound about what it means in terms of evolution .)..Furthermore, after you explain DNA, I have other questions. Thanks.
Here:

The causes of mutations

Mutations happen for several reasons.
1. DNA fails to copy accurately

Most of the mutations that we think matter to evolution are "naturally-occurring." For example, when a cell divides, it makes a copy of its DNA — and sometimes the copy is not quite perfect. That small difference from the original DNA sequence is a mutation.

dna-mutation.gif

2. External influences can create mutations
Mutations can also be caused by exposure to specific chemicals or radiation. These agents cause the DNA to break down. This is not necessarily unnatural — even in the most isolated and pristine environments, DNA breaks down. Nevertheless, when the cell repairs the DNA, it might not do a perfect job of the repair. So the cell would end up with DNA slightly different than the original DNA and hence, a mutation. -- https://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/<? echo $baseURL; ?>/mutations_04

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
You, with no background or experience in science? You, with your poor track record of science literacy as seen on these forums? You with your agenda to thwart views based on logic, reason and evidence in favor of those based purely on belief? You, with no known education or experience in molecular biology or evolutionary biology?

You are going to TEST others about their knowledge and understanding of DNA and what it means regarding evolution?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
DNA are little crystalline fairies that flit around in your cells telling everyone that they can grow up to big and strong too. Oh . . . and criticizing those molecules that refuse to brush their teeth after meals.

Yerda

Veteran Member
OK, glad I found this thread because -- I have a question. :) Can you explain DNA?
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "explain DNA"?

YoursTrue said:
After you explain DNA (no links, please in your own words, just want to know if you understand it because 'opinions' abound about what it means in terms of evolution .)..Furthermore, after you explain DNA, I have other questions. Thanks.
Why don't you start a thread and we can talk about it?

YoursTrue

Here:

The causes of mutations

Mutations happen for several reasons.
1. DNA fails to copy accurately
Most of the mutations that we think matter to evolution are "naturally-occurring." For example, when a cell divides, it makes a copy of its DNA — and sometimes the copy is not quite perfect. That small difference from the original DNA sequence is a mutation.

dna-mutation.gif

2. External influences can create mutations
Mutations can also be caused by exposure to specific chemicals or radiation. These agents cause the DNA to break down. This is not necessarily unnatural — even in the most isolated and pristine environments, DNA breaks down. Nevertheless, when the cell repairs the DNA, it might not do a perfect job of the repair. So the cell would end up with DNA slightly different than the original DNA and hence, a mutation.
-- https://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/<? echo $baseURL; ?>/mutations_04
OK, thanks for that. I'm not sure I'm speaking about mutations. But let's say I am. Because a child with Down's Syndrome has one extra chromosome if I remember correctly, leading to problems with learning among other things. But that's not my point. Let's take, for instance, a person coming from a family that lives in Africa for hundreds of years, never going out of the country to marry. Had children only within the geographic bounds of the people they were living with. And another family living in Alaska for hundreds of years, same thing -- only producing children among their own -- no 'foreigners.' Does the Alaskan population share similar genes with the African population? That is my question.

I started a thread about this, so hoping the discussion can continue there.
About DNA - (and evolution) | Religious Forums

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
OK, thanks for that. I'm not sure I'm speaking about mutations. But let's say I am. Because a child with Down's Syndrome has one extra chromosome if I remember correctly, leading to problems with learning among other things. But that's not my point. Let's take, for instance, a person coming from a family that lives in Africa for hundreds of years, never going out of the country to marry. Had children only within the geographic bounds of the people they were living with. And another family living in Alaska for hundreds of years, same thing -- only producing children among their own -- no 'foreigners.' Does the Alaskan population share similar genes with the African population? That is my question.

It is expected that there would be some differences, but not enough to prohibit interbreeding.

metis

Most of the genes will be similar to each other, even closer that the roughly 97% correlation we have with the chimpanzees.

YoursTrue

Most of the genes will be similar to each other, even closer that the roughly 97% correlation we have with the chimpanzees.
Let's say that's true. Since I haven't studied this in depth, I'll go along with it for the moment. But there is a gap between each different type of organism, in other words, the difference evidently makes the difference. Yet chimpanees stay chimpanzees and humans stay humans. Fish stay fish, despite some dna is similar. That small percentage between chimps and humans makes a big difference in looks and abilities.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Let's say that's true. Since I haven't studied this in depth, I'll go along with it for the moment. But there is a gap between each different type of organism, in other words, the difference evidently makes the difference. Yet chimpanees stay chimpanzees and humans stay humans. Fish stay fish, despite some dna is similar. That small percentage between chimps and humans makes a big difference in looks and abilities.
You claim to have studied this in depth, but still the expectation that fish, chimpanzees and humans will magically morph into some other species in a single step within the same individual. Can you explain why you think this? I am familiar with the theory of evolution and the evidence and know of nothing there that would lead one to conclude such a fantastical scenario.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Are you aware that evolution is changes in populations over generations and that the ancestral population can exist concurrently with any number of descendant populations. Any of those could also become extinct and replaced by descendants or it is even possible that all the descendant populations could disappear while the ancestral population remains extant. There is no mandate in the theory that demands extinction once a new population evolves.

Regarding this morphing ability, can you site any specific examples of it occurring? I am assuming you are getting the notion from somewhere.

metis

Yet chimpanees stay chimpanzees and humans stay humans. Fish stay fish, despite some dna is similar.
An obvious rule of thumb: Every material item changes over time and genes and chromosomes are material things, thus proof that evolution must happen.

YoursTrue

Thanks for your answer. So--even though I can't figure it out--in other words, see a complete explanation of exactly what it is right now that I understand OR see a photo of the chromosomes--there is that "gap," so to speak, between the animals. I know evolution will explain it as if the items (organisms, plant and animals evolved from one(?) cell, mutated (or something like that), and then formed a more lasting organism. :) Sometimes, if they weren't destroyed by a cataclysm, but, I'm not convinced of all of that. (Notice I said 'all' of that.)

YoursTrue

An obvious rule of thumb: Every material item changes over time and genes and chromosomes are material things, thus proof that evolution must happen.
OK, thanks. If you read my previous response (the day is just starting for me) you will see I'm not convinced that all happened as considered by evolutionists. True that chromosomes, etc., are material things, but -- here's the catcher -- life is not a material thing. (Is it, in your opinion?) And isn't that what Jesus spoke about a lot? Life.

metis