• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some Qs

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Judaism DIR.

I've been reading Exodus and have some questions for those among you better versed in this!

1. What's going on with Yitro? Why is it he has at least 2 names?

2. In 4:24 it seems like G-d comes from nowhere in a huff about to kill Moshe as his son is not yet cut. ?????

3. The rape of non-betrothed women laws in Ex.22 and Deut.22 are similar but not the same. What are the reasons for these differences?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
The classic answer is that he had seven names: Yitro, Yeter, Chovav, Chever, Reuel, Putiel and Keini. It's a midrash brought by Rashi.
Another answer is that Yitro and Reuel are two different people. I think Reuel was the father of Yitro, grandfather of Tzipporah. Sometimes grandchildren are called children of their grandparents.

rosends

Judaism DIR.

I've been reading Exodus and have some questions for those among you better versed in this!

2. In 4:24 it seems like G-d comes from nowhere in a huff about to kill Moshe as his son is not yet cut. ?????

3. The rape of non-betrothed women laws in Ex.22 and Deut.22 are similar but not the same. What are the reasons for these differences?
1. Rashi records that Yitro had 7 names. There are reasons for each
Chief of the Converts - Jethro's arrival and conversion was a crucial preparation for the giving of the Torah.

2. a LOT has been written on this -- it is a strange story When Hashem Tried to Kill Moshe | vbm haretzion

3. I took a quick look. It seems that Shmot 22 is dealing with an unmarried woman who is seduced by a man while Devarim 22 deals with a rape (or adultery)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
3. I took a quick look. It seems that Shmot 22 is dealing with an unmarried woman who is seduced by a man while Devarim 22 deals with a rape (or adultery)
I did notice this but wondered about the word 'seduce'. This is a bit vague and could be interpreted by some as a rape if the girl is essentially taken advantage of.

rosends

I did notice this but wondered about the word 'seduce'. This is a bit vague and could be interpreted by some as a rape if the girl is essentially taken advantage of.
That becomes an issue of understanding the Hebrew Yefateh. In Devarim, the language is hechezeek which indicates a use of overpowering strength.

Rashi exaplins yefateh as " if he speaks kindly to her until she submits to him. Thus does also the Targum take it: ארי ישדל “if a man persuades”, the root שדל (the Pael conjugation) in Aramaic being the equivalent of פִּתָּה in Hebrew."

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
That becomes an issue of understanding the Hebrew Yefateh. In Devarim, the language is hechezeek which indicates a use of overpowering strength.

Rashi exaplins yefateh as " if he speaks kindly to her until she submits to him. Thus does also the Targum take it: ארי ישדל “if a man persuades”, the root שדל (the Pael conjugation) in Aramaic being the equivalent of פִּתָּה in Hebrew."
Thank you for this. I knew the interpretations, but I didn't know the Hebrew.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
[QUOTE="rosends, post: 6559255, member: 55734”]

3. I took a quick look. It seems that Shmot 22 is dealing with an unmarried woman who is seduced by a man while Devarim 22 deals with a rape (or adultery):

Hi R. Rose, in modern society it is no sin for an unmarried woman to be seduced by a man. Are you onboard ?

rosends

[QUOTE="rosends, post: 6559255, member: 55734”]

3. I took a quick look. It seems that Shmot 22 is dealing with an unmarried woman who is seduced by a man while Devarim 22 deals with a rape (or adultery):

Hi R. Rose, in modern society it is no sin for an unmarried woman to be seduced by a man. Are you onboard ?
On board with what? Modern society? Shmot 22 doesn't indicate any fault in the woman.

rosends

What about the man ? In modernity we have no-fault sex.
The man has to pay the consequences of his actions. If he seduced the girl then he changed her status in the community and has to accept his role in that. Is that a "sin"? No. It is a behavior that has implications.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
What about the man ? In modernity we have no-fault sex.
Society may allow this, but private individuals do not all agree that this is okay. I think that even you would agree that adultery is not okay, even though it is between two consenting adults.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
The man has to pay the consequences of his actions. If he seduced the girl then he changed her status in the community and has to accept his role in that. Is that a "sin"? No. It is a behavior that has implications.
And those implications are .. ?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You are living in the 1950’s.
It's the '80s, actually :p

But there are still millions of Orthodox Jews and there are Noahides like me who believe that sexual intercourse is reserved for marriage; or in the case of Noahides at least a stable, long-term relationship.

rosends

And those implications are .. ?
That he has changed the woman's status and owes her and her family some financial consideration for his actions. He has gone through the motions which mimic marriage so he should be bound as one who chose to get married.