• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solipsism?

Titanic

Is one's mind only the sure thing to exist? How can we know anything else does? A pretty scary view right? Guy's and Girl's what is your view on Solipsism? do you think it is true? why or why not?

Onkara

I think it depends on what a mind is. Buddha didn't choose to define it in the Pali Cannon, some say he knew it couldn't be defined. The mind is consistent of parts in Vedanta and I feel a modern scientific definition would be that the mind is the material brain and chemistry. It changes in definition. So an answer is that the mind is not the sure thing to exist as it is itself undefinable. Consequently solipsism is nothing more than an idea.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The failure of solipsism is the acknowledgement of a contradiction: that there is something other than mind, namely a world whose existence is questionable. If there is no world "out there," to put oneself in relation to it at all is utter delusion.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Is one's mind only the sure thing to exist? How can we know anything else does?
Reality is even stranger than we can imagine. (Our best minds have been working on it for a long time and haven't figured it out yet, so how could it all possibly be a product of our lesser minds?)

Titanic

or are we all just in a bad utter delusion? By the way I am not a buyer into solipsism exactly. I would like to think the world and thing's around me are not a delusion and are real cause what else is there? just evil nothingness and that is scary in my view.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Is one's mind only the sure thing to exist? How can we know anything else does? A pretty scary view right? Guy's and Girl's what is your view on Solipsism? do you think it is true? why or why not?

I can say the only thing I know is real is my awareness, but what I am aware of may be completely false.

But, that idea is patently unworkable, so I don't typically act under it.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
There are many ironies in Solipsism but one of the greatest is that if it is positive that only my mind exist then what about everyone else's? :eek:
Anything existing outsides of one's own understanding is indeed unsure but this can only be proven valid to an extent. No wonder so many paranoid people believe mankind is robots and they are the only human left :D.
But I must say it is hard to use the words "I know him/her well" when I like many others do not exist inside of their reality. It becomes intriguing but I can see how this concept was created.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So i guess the world will never know?
Not at all. Physicists have been actively exploring this conundrum since 1903.

or are we all just in a bad utter delusion? By the way I am not a buyer into solipsism exactly. I would like to think the world and thing's around me are not a delusion and are real cause what else is there? just evil nothingness and that is scary in my view.
Why scary? Why evil?
Is waking up (to an expanded consciousness) each morning scarey? Who would cling to a dream state "delusion" after waking to the realization that you, yourself were the sole author of last night's entire dream world?
Transcending the delusion is not scarey. You become bigger and more aware with each level; you gain, not lose.

What are you talking about? YOU ARE NOT REAL!
You are the figment of my imagination :D. When I get amnesia it will be the end of you.
No, it's more like when you get omnesia you will lose us.

There are levels of reality: one real, objective, Quantum Reality, and multiple subjective realities. It's not that the subjective realities aren't real, it's that they're subjectively real; they're abstractions cobbled together in our minds to enable us to navigate a Real Reality we can't perceive. We're flying by instrument, so to speak.

Dismissing your perceived world as not real is impractical. You have to work with what you've got. You have to live in the reality you perceive. It's your reality for as long as you perceive it.

idav

Being
Premium Member

I was into Solipsism when I was like 3 and 4 but quickly grew out of it when I realized that life is more than just a dream. Dern nursery rhyme songs, see how they corrupt.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was into Solipsism when I was like 3 and 4 but quickly grew out of it when I realized that life is more than just a dream. Dern nursery rhyme songs, see how they corrupt.
Take some advanced physics courses and perhaps you'll grow back into it. Reality is spooky...:D

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
No, it's more like when you get omnesia you will lose us.

There are levels of reality: one real, objective, Quantum Reality, and multiple subjective realities. It's not that the subjective realities aren't real, it's that they're subjectively real; they're abstractions cobbled together in our minds to enable us to navigate a Real Reality we can't perceive. We're flying by instrument, so to speak.

Dismissing your perceived world as not real is impractical. You have to work with what you've got. You have to live in the reality you perceive. It's your reality for as long as you perceive it.

I hope you are aware that comment was a joke.
I have been knee deep in Sanatana Dharma far too long to not know the tangled perception of reality already :D.