• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solidarity amid Disaster

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Following the catastrophic earthquakes in Turkey and Syria, multiple countries and organizations have sent or offered help, including search-and-rescue teams as well as medical aid. As listed in the article below, these are the countries and organizations that have stepped up so far:
  • China
  • The EU
  • India
  • Iran
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • NATO
  • Qatar
  • Russia
  • Taiwan
  • The UAE
  • The UK
  • Ukraine
  • The UN
  • The US
  • WHO.
Major earthquakes hit Turkey, Syria: Who is stepping up to help?

Another source:

Earthquake live updates: Latest news from Turkey, Syria

There is an abundance of news about international tensions, political strife, and regional conflicts. I felt like this international display of solidarity was a refreshing change from all of that. Regardless of what one may believe about the motives of each country or organization participating in the aid, the end result is more help for the affected on the ground.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, and the death toll is still rising. It's a major disaster.

Stay safe! I hope knowing about it beforehand gives the state a head start and allows evacuation and such to be done on time.

Earthquakes are tough because (as i understand it) they're difficult to predict with much useful accuracy for the average person. Unlike something like a hurricane where you might have days or even weeks of notice, with earthquakes you have minutes. "The big one" might hit us in an hour, or it might hit us in 50 years.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Explainer: Why was the Turkey-Syria earthquake so bad?

Sounds like thousands have died. :(

Also, selfishly I'm noting that here in California we're overdue for a major earthquake along the San Andreas Fault. :oops:
Israel's been on the alert for a major earthquake for years now. Every couple of centuries there's a major earthquake in the Galilee and unfortunately it's due soon. What "soon" means is anyone's guess.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Israel's been on the alert for a major earthquake for years now. Every couple of centuries there's a major earthquake in the Galilee and unfortunately it's due soon. What "soon" means is anyone's guess.

You take care. Don't get yourself in any trouble until we've met. (That will be one item off the bucket list.)

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Yes, and the death toll is still rising. It's a major disaster.

Stay safe! I hope knowing about it beforehand gives the state a head start and allows evacuation and such to be done on time.
It's horrific. I immediately started googling the areas within reach of the epicenter. I street view all of these cities. The death toll will most likely reach the 100's of thousands when looking at all of the failing structures and seeing how many are in all of these cities. I just feel so horrible. It is some comfort knowing how many rescue workers and countries are uniting to help. But the end toll is going to be very bad. I can send some money but one feels so helpless and so sad for so many victims of this.