• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solid gold toilet stolen in Britain

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Solid gold toilet worth $1.25 million stolen from palace in Britain

45c5978dc044f914624794608ec82ec7

Sept. 14 (UPI) -- A working 18-karat solid-gold toilet worth $1.25 million was stolen from Britain's Blenheim Palace, officials said Saturday.

The palace, which is the birthplace and ancestral home of Winston Churchill, confirmed the theft in the early hours Saturday of the toilet, which was part of an exhibition by Italian conceptual artist Maurizio Cattelan that opened Thursday.

"We are saddened by this extraordinary event, but also relieved no-one was hurt," the palace said in a statement.

Blenheim Palace initially said only that an "unforeseen incident" overnight had prompted officials to close the palace until 2 p.m.

In a news release, police said a 66-year-old man was arrested in connection with the incident.

Thames Valley Detective Inspector Jess Milne said the theft caused "significant damage and flooding" because the toilet was connected to the palace plumbing system.

Police believe the thieves used at least two vehicles to make off with the golden throne, according to Milne.

I guess what makes this story funny is that first, someone actually created and built a solid-gold toilet. Second, someone actually bought a solid-gold toilet. Third, someone actually stole a solid-gold toilet.

I wonder where would the thieves go to fence such an item? Or would they just melt it down for the gold?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Normally I discourage theft, but in this case, for some reason, I don't feel offended by the theft... Probably because it was such a stupid idea to make a toilet out of gold to begin with.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
A three minute limit to use the toilet?
If I got the opportunity to use a solid gold toilet I'm going to take a dump which will take longer than three minutes-It would be art.

RoaringSilence

Solid gold toilet worth $1.25 million stolen from palace in Britain

45c5978dc044f914624794608ec82ec7

I guess what makes this story funny is that first, someone actually created and built a solid-gold toilet. Second, someone actually bought a solid-gold toilet. Third, someone actually stole a solid-gold toilet.

I wonder where would the thieves go to fence such an item? Or would they just melt it down for the gold?

these are common in gulf countries , infact they would rate this one cheap coz its only 18 carat ...beneath their taste. A sheikh would probably have this in his driver's toilet.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't decide what's more disappointing. The fact that someone stole the toilet or that someone made a solid gold toilet in the first place.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
these are common in gulf countries , infact they would rate this one cheap coz its only 18 carat ...beneath their taste. A sheikh would probably have this in his driver's toilet.

I had no idea that solid gold toilets were such a hot commode-ity

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm guessing it's perhaps a trophy. Because, really, you can't pawn that because it is too specific, and how would someone ever come across a lump of gold that big?
Regardless, either way, I don't care because that story alone is hilarious. :D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Point,. The missing loo is valued anywhere between £1.5 and £4.8 million. I am guessing its either the loo artist (joke there) on a tax fiddle or the (ex)owners talking to the insurance company*

*Assuming it is insured and the british tax payer is not made to cough up for a replacement

Another point, has anyone ever felt the weight of gold??? How did the theives manage to move a bulky and cumbersome 230 lbs of gold?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Another point, has anyone ever felt the weight of gold??? How did the theives manage to move a bulky and cumbersome 230 lbs of gold?

It may have been an inside job. I suspect the Ty-D-Bol Man was looking for ways to sweeten his retirement.

hqdefault.jpg