• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Software Hell

GoodbyeDave

I can't help with Windows — never had it — but to say that ordinary people can't use Linux is nonsense, or rather about 20 years out of date. In many countries (Brazil, Russia) it's used in the schools.

You don't need anti-virus lumbering about in the background. Linux software will not run unless the operating system is told to allow it, so if malware is downloaded it's inert.

As for software, there's masses:
Linux App Finder | Helping find the Linux apps you need
Windows games can usually be run using the Wine compatibility tool.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Owing to the fact that funds aren't there to run out and buy a bunch of new stuff, I'm just trying to understand the process here.

I'm running win 10 on a newish HP all in one that has a i5 chip and about 12 meg of memory. I use CenturyLink and they say they provide about 20 mps.

It's all been whirring away just fine until around 6 months ago. Without warning, after visiting about a dozen sites, the screen freezes. Inevitably, the only way to get out of this is to unplug it and start over. This HP takes 10 to 15 minutes to live again. It "seems" as if having more than one window open can cause it. Often it seems that this site often causes it.

I can't rule out some sort of hostile ware, or someone loading little trackers on their site, which I pick up. None of my friends recommend any Virus software, saying what Windows Defender is enough. I've tried Malwarebytes, but they seem nutty to me. And, they've farmed out their billing to someone that is profoundly inept.

I've got a new Dell Core i3, 7th Gen that I have not started up yet because I like the giant HP screen.

I wonder if there is some buffer that is filling up or ...
Sounds like me after an update.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Thanks to @Jumi, @Duke_Leto and @Brickjectivity for inspiring me to get back in the Linux saddle.

I bought a refurbished HP xw4600 Workstation without Windows to install and use Linux a few months ago.

I installed Linux Mint 18.3 on it and it worked fine, but I found that I still needed some Windows programs so I have tended to stick with the existing system.

However, I am not happy with the way Microsoft is going so I have finally installed Mint 19 Cinnamon.

So far, I am impressed and will try to use it as much as possible.

Unfortunately, I can’t find comparable Linux alternatives to MS Access and MS Money.

Bob the Unbeliever

Thanks to @Jumi, @Duke_Leto and @Brickjectivity for inspiring me to get back in the Linux saddle.

I bought a refurbished HP xw4600 Workstation without Windows to install and use Linux a few months ago.

I installed Linux Mint 18.3 on it and it worked fine, but I found that I still needed some Windows programs so I have tended to stick with the existing system.

However, I am not happy with the way Microsoft is going so I have finally installed Mint 19 Cinnamon.

Unfortunately, I can’t find comparable Linux alternatives to MS Access and MS Money.

Look at LibreOffice. It's pure Open Source, and is being updated, and I do believe there is a Linux version (as well as Windoze). I do not know if they have the two you need, however, but you could check it out.

I've been using it or one of it's ancestors (open source) since I quit using M$ Office products, back in around 2003? Something like that.

Duke_Leto

In addition to @Bob the Unbeliever 's recommendation of LibreOffice, an alternative for Access is Kexi, and for Money, there's Skrooge. To install, "sudo apt update && sudo apt install kexi skrooge". Their interfaces will probably be different than Microsoft's products, but you can try using them and getting used to them if you like.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Owing to the fact that funds aren't there to run out and buy a bunch of new stuff, I'm just trying to understand the process here.

I'm running win 10 on a newish HP all in one that has a i5 chip and about 12 meg of memory. I use CenturyLink and they say they provide about 20 mps.

It's all been whirring away just fine until around 6 months ago. Without warning, after visiting about a dozen sites, the screen freezes. Inevitably, the only way to get out of this is to unplug it and start over. This HP takes 10 to 15 minutes to live again. It "seems" as if having more than one window open can cause it. Often it seems that this site often causes it.

I can't rule out some sort of hostile ware, or someone loading little trackers on their site, which I pick up. None of my friends recommend any Virus software, saying what Windows Defender is enough. I've tried Malwarebytes, but they seem nutty to me. And, they've farmed out their billing to someone that is profoundly inept.

I've got a new Dell Core i3, 7th Gen that I have not started up yet because I like the giant HP screen.

I wonder if there is some buffer that is filling up or ...

Download and install HitMan Pro and scan
Download and run the Pnda Cloud Scanner using the full scan option