• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Software Feedback Thread

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The alternative would have been a full site crash. Would that have been better? Where would you have posted this incredibly helpful quote?
Over the decades I've come to utterly distrust vague promises that something is being worked on, the check is in the mail. The response to my detailed requests has been "crickets". ANYTHING more than "it's being worked on" would give me hope. That could be "Our top priorities are a b c", or "we hope to get "X" restored in the next few weeks or "we want to update several things at once" or "here's the list of what we have scheduled" Something that would make me feel like I'm not being ghosted.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Over the decades I've come to utterly distrust vague promises that something is being worked on, the check is in the mail. The response to my detailed requests has been "crickets". ANYTHING more than "it's being worked on" would give me hope. That could be "Our top priorities are a b c", or "we hope to get "X" restored in the next few weeks or "we want to update several things at once" or "here's the list of what we have scheduled" Something that would make me feel like I'm not being ghosted.
This is not an answer to my question. We've heard your complaints for two weeks now. I am not saying that in essence they are not legitimate, but continually repeating them ad nauseum, particularly in such a sarcastic manner, is not helpful to anyone. I am here not merely as a staffer, but also as another member of the site who is also having difficulty getting used to things, and I'm begging you to stop. Seriously, I can't take this anymore.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
This is not an answer to my question. We've heard your complaints for two weeks now. I am not saying that in essence they are not legitimate, but continually repeating them ad nauseum, particularly in such a sarcastic manner, is not helpful to anyone. I am here not merely as a staffer, but also as another member of the site who is also having difficulty getting used to things, and I'm begging you to stop. Seriously, I can't take this anymore.
*friendly frubal*

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
No 'repeat ad nauseum' would be necessary if there was a status thread with AT THE VERY LEAST a list of the issues that are being worked on.
C'mon. Not even a timetable, just a list. Maybe chances of success on the more difficult ones, that may not ever have a solution.

Heyo

Veteran Member
No 'repeat ad nauseum' would be necessary if there was a status thread with AT THE VERY LEAST a list of the issues that are being worked on.
C'mon. Not even a timetable, just a list. Maybe chances of success on the more difficult ones, that may not ever have a solution.
:useful:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The alternative would have been a full site crash. Would that have been better? Where would you have posted this incredibly helpful quote?

The choice was not binary. An alternative would have been to let us know before hand, keep us updated on what is on the fix list and provide as much information as possible.

As I've noted earlier, in my IT days I was involved in receiving and releasing software updates. The details are totally different, but Release Notes and Known Issues - Red Hat Customer Portal and especially Google Issue Tracker are the kind of documentation that I count as good examples. From the latter (note the votes column)

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
ANYTHING more than "it's being worked on" would give me hope. That could be "Our top priorities are a b c", or "we hope to get "X" restored in the next few weeks or "we want to update several things at once" or "here's the list of what we have scheduled"

This might be relevant here:

We have forwarded both shortlists to the owners. Since the staff are volunteers, we have no access to the backend of the forum, so something like a timetable or detailed plan concerning the fixes is out of our hands. We just communicate with the owners to relay requested features, the most important fixes (as in the above thread), etc.

Last edited:

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
This might be relevant here:

We have forwarded both shortlists to the owners. Since the staff are volunteers, we have no access to the backend of the forum, so something like a timetable or detailed plan concerning the fixes is out of our hands. We just communicate with the owners to relay requested features, the most important fixes (as in the above thread), etc.

THANK YOU! THAT is what I was looking for back in post #418 ... "So, is there an official status thread? (IDK, how to find it now?)"

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I've waited until things have settled down and more urgent problems addressed for this one.

The squiggly red line that appears under wrongly spelled words often extends across the whole sentence, making it difficult to know what is being reported. Generally, if you can find the problem and correct it, it goes away. Sometimes just clicking somewhere else will remove the red line.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've waited until things have settled down and more urgent problems addressed for this one.

The squiggly red line that appears under wrongly spelled words often extends across the whole sentence, making it difficult to know what is being reported. Generally, if you can find the problem and correct it, it goes away. Sometimes just clicking somewhere else will remove the red line.
I've had that problem not only here, but on other sites I use, recently.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
@Debater Slayer
I noticed one this morning, the nanny bot/profanity filter needs updating. I entered "*****" that has always been automatically starred out in the past expecting it to be stared out. It wasn't. I have had a slapped hand for masking words normally trapped by the filter so do i leave it or go back and edit it?

Alien826

No religious beliefs
@Debater Slayer
I noticed one this morning, the nanny bot/profanity filter needs updating. I entered "*****" that has always been automatically starred out in the past expecting it to be stared out. It wasn't. I have had a slapped hand for masking words normally trapped by the filter so do i leave it or go back and edit it?
OMG, there's a feature that (presumably) has a list of "naughty" words? I'd love to see the list and know how and by whom it's kept up to date. :D

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
@Debater Slayer

If the filter doesn't catch a specific swear word and a member isn't intentionally trying to circumvent the filter (e.g., by using asterisks without omitting the whole word or by using special characters like $), we usually edit the word into asterisks with no further action.

If you catch such a word yourself and realize the filter didn't change it into asterisks, doing that yourself is more often than not the better action to take in light of Rule 5.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If the filter doesn't catch a specific swear word and a member isn't intentionally trying to circumvent the filter (e.g., by using asterisks without omitting the whole word or by using special characters like $), we usually edit the word into asterisks with no further action.

If you catch such a word yourself and realize the filter didn't change it into asterisks, doing that yourself is more often than not the better action to take in light of Rule 5.

Right. I've just gone back and it is stared out now. I guess one of you guys did it

Or maybe the filter is delayed on this s/w

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member

The spell checker is a feature (or add-on) of your browser. It works the same on all pages. You may even be able to configure it for multiple languages.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
The spell checker is a feature (or add-on) of your browser. It works the same on all pages. You may even be able to configure it for multiple languages.
I wonder why it started acting up when we got the new software? Of course Firefox is doing updates all the time, it could be a coincidence. Hmmm, maybe I'll see what happens with Edge ... Edge seems to be OK.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I wonder why it started acting up when we got the new software? Of course Firefox is doing updates all the time, it could be a coincidence. Hmmm, maybe I'll see what happens with Edge ... Edge seems to be OK.
I've not had any issues with FIrefox but I've not been posting much since the new version was installed.