• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Software Feedback Thread

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Right. I've just gone back and it is stared out now. I guess one of you guys did it

Or maybe the filter is delayed on this s/w

Test: *****.

It gets starred out automatically. A way to check whether the asterisks were typed manually or automatically generated by the language filter is to try to edit the post. If you see the original word while editing, it means the filter has starred it out. If you see asterisks in the editor, it means they have been manually typed.

We Never Know

No Slack
If the filter doesn't catch a specific swear word and a member isn't intentionally trying to circumvent the filter (e.g., by using asterisks without omitting the whole word or by using special characters like $), we usually edit the word into asterisks with no further action.

If you catch such a word yourself and realize the filter didn't change it into asterisks, doing that yourself is more often than not the better action to take in light of Rule 5.

Why can't we use asterisks ourselves?
I've done that before and got a warning for using asterisks and/or other characters in place of the letters.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I've done that before and got a warning for using asterisks and/or other characters in place of the letters.
You can and you should. There once was a rule that we should leave the censoring to the censor monkey but it never made it into the official rules. There is another rule that isn't official that says that you'll have to do the censor monkeys job if it is slacking. In other words: catch 22.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
You can and you should. There once was a rule that we should leave the censoring to the censor monkey but it never made it into the official rules. There is another rule that isn't official that says that you'll have to do the censor monkeys job if it is slacking. In other words: catch 22.
What are you talking about specifically?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you remember when this was? Because I need a time frame so I can find the report.

I'd like to see what actually happened there.

You can find the date by checking the PM notification you received.

Heyo

Veteran Member
What are you talking about specifically?
Found the thread it was last discussed: https://www.religiousforums.com/thr...d-names-rule-5-questions.267517/#post-8032770

And:
"***Please Note***
Some of the information on this page is out of date.
We are currently working on a revised version of our policies and guidelines.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2020 " from RF Rules

So, it is kind of a hanging issue and depending on what who read last, there may be confusion.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Found the thread it was last discussed: https://www.religiousforums.com/thr...d-names-rule-5-questions.267517/#post-8032770

And:
"***Please Note***
Some of the information on this page is out of date.
We are currently working on a revised version of our policies and guidelines.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2020 " from RF Rules

So, it is kind of a hanging issue and depending on what who read last, there may be confusion.
"It" being what exactly?

Could you look at my question again please?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
1. RF Rules, especially rule #5. No mention of using asterisks or prohibiting it.

Because there isn't any need. The filter automatically replaces profanity with asterisks, except (as was explained to you in the post that you linked to) when someone is using voice to text, in which case the first letter is usually visible.

But when we see that we just assume someone's using voice to text and we don't ding them for it.

2. OPs and posts by staff, saying either that asterisks should or shouldn't be used.

First off, just because a staff member makes a request, the request doesn't amount to some kind of unwritten rule.

It's a request. We don't have any "unwritten rules".

Every rule is subject to interpretation of course but if we listed every possible interpretation or application pertaining to any specific rule every rule would have to be about a thousand pages long.

Second: I really doubt you've ever seen any staff member saying not to use asterix's

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Hi, all!

As we have all noticed, the forum software has been updated. This update is still ongoing, and new features may still be added. The tech people are not done yet with the work.

Please list any and all issues, feedback, and bug reports you may have. Everything you say here may help with the update and improve forum functionality.

Thank you!
I think there is a bug, with the SPOILER button.
When I use the button, I get two spoilers.
I have to use BB Code instead.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think there is a bug, with the SPOILER button.
When I use the button, I get two spoilers.
I have to use BB Code instead.
Mine seems fine. What is it that is happening when you spoiler? RF now has two kinds of spoilers, too.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It seems that now, when a post gets deleted, the thread below it stays intact.
Is that so?

Any more features or progress updates?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems that now, when a post gets deleted, the thread below it stays intact.
Is that so?

Any more features or progress updates?
Do you mean when an OP (first post in a thread) is deleted?