• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Socks'n Sandals

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the news....
The Redemption of the ‘Ugly American’ Tourist
The Redemption of the ‘Ugly American’ Tourist
upload_2021-5-17_13-19-37.png

“It’s a great time to be an American tourist.”
Such a statement would have been nonsensical a year ago, when the COVID-19 surge in the United States was so grim that Americans, who are accustomed to traveling most places without issue, were considered personae non gratae across much of the rest of the world. But Tom Jenkins, the CEO of the European Tourism Association, stands by it: When European countries reopen their borders to tourists—as they expect to do this summer—they hope Americans will be at the front of the line.

Not only is the U.S. one of the most important countries for European tourism, but it’s also now one of the most vaccinated in the world. Yet the idea that Americans would be desired, or even preferred, guests in Europe runs in stark contrast to a more long-standing stereotype—that of the “ugly American” tourist. You know the type: loud (especially on public transportation), bumbling, boorish, and often sporting the quintessential uniform of socks and sandals, a baseball cap, and a backpack worn on the front. “Our correspondents felt American tourists had few social graces,” the humorist Art Buchwald wrote in.....

I'm happy to accommodate those snooty Eurostanians not wanting
us "Ugly Ameristanians" on their turf. Things are great here.
But this thread is about their disdain for sox & sandals.
I find that nothing is more comfortable.
- Feet get never hot or cold in any temperature
- Feet don't get moist & funky.
- My wonderful colorful socks are out for all to enjoy.
- Feet stay cleaner with sox.

Socks & sandals rule!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Not only is there a gazillion shopping places with socks & sandals, but it's a religious thing as well.

shopping

Orbit

I'm a planet
Socks and sandals (specifically Birkensotcks and white socks) were how we used to spot German tourists in Hollywood.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I'm happy to accommodate those snooty Eurostanians not wanting
us "Ugly Ameristanians" on their turf. Things are great here.
But this thread is about their disdain for sox & sandals.
I find that nothing is more comfortable.
- Feet get never hot or cold in any temperature
- Feet don't get moist & funky.
- My wonderful colorful socks are out for all to enjoy.
- Feet stay cleaner with sox.

Socks & sandals rule!
You're free to do whatever you want, but let me tell you from first hand experience that socks and sandals aren't even close to an optimal choice for footwear when you're skiing in the Alps, or hanging out at a Mediterranean beach.

Gargovic Malkav

I remember being laughed at in school when I was wearing socks with sandals.
When I explained it to friends and relatives they were like: "Well, duh! Who wears socks in open shoes?"
Even to this day I still don't quite understand what's so criminal about it...

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
But... Why not just wear well ventilated running shoes? All the same benefits, better comfort, and I don't have to see your socks. :D

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
But... Why not just wear well ventilated running shoes? All the same benefits, better comfort, and I don't have to see your socks. :D

So it really boils down to sock hatred? People don't like socks and sandals, because hey don't truly like seeing socks. Hmmmm

RestlessSoul

If we are sneering at poor sartorial choices, I have to say that no one over 30 should ever wear sportswear when not doing sport.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're free to do whatever you want...
How magnanimous of you.
.....but let me tell you from first hand experience that socks and sandals aren't even close to an optimal choice for footwear when you're skiing in the Alps...
I long ago gave up skiing for snowboarding.
Then I gave that up too.
....or hanging out at a Mediterranean beach.
Perfect place for sox & sandals!

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
You mean something like this?

205289_206_ALT140

What god forsaken monstrosity is this? I feel like this... thing... should be introduced via a horrifying cut scene and cacophonous orchestral accompaniment to herald in it's terrifying approach in the style of dark souls or bloodborne.