• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sociopathy?

desideraht

Hellspawn
I am left-handed myself (not in the religious sense, at least consciously), so I use that as an example of neglected individual trait quite often.

I'm going off-topic, but it is impressive how willing most people are to simply disregard the existence of lefties, and how that subtly influences us towards avoiding going with the flow and the most travelled path as a matter of course.

I assume that is one of the reasons why the Left-Handed Path took such a name.
It is My understanding that we are the Left-Hand Path for Baphomet's left hand points downward:

tumblr_m2fzlvogQN1qjdvvto1_400.png

(This is a more "Satanic" depiction, as Baphomet usually has breasts and androgynous/hermaphroditic traits)

Baphomet is a creature of balance between Chaos and Order, Lightness and Darkness, masculine and feminine... Baphomet's pointing downward could be interpreted different ways but I do think it's general meaning is quite easily understood.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
And specifically for Quintessence (maybe I should have asked somewhere else, but bear with me for a little while please): any ideas on why Virtue Ethics is uncommon these days? It looks so utterly superior to normative ethics (that is what you mean by moral-based Ethics, I assume). Also, any texts you would recommend to me about this subject? I happen to feel that normative Ethics are worse than useless, while consequential ethics are of enormous practical value yet ultimately we are all duty-bound to seek Virtue Ethics. Rings some kind of bell?

This is a little off topic, so I'll keep it brief. :D

I'd conjecture that the uncommonness of virtue ethics is cultural, and that the main factor would be how we structure our laws and systems of justice. Western law gives almost zero consideration to the character of the individual; judgements are based on strict 'right' and 'wrong' classifications based on the laws on the books. This is going to slant peoples towards moral-based/normative ethics rather than virtue ethics. Perhaps we did this because it's simpler?

The only books on virtue ethics that are on my radar are tailored for the contemporary Pagan audience. The one that I own (but haven't gotten around to reading yet) is Emma Restall Orr's "Living with Honour: A Pagan Ethics" and the other is Brenden Myers "The Other Side of Virtue." Myers book would be my suggestion, because from what I've read of the summaries, it is less tailored specifically for Neopagans and offers a general overview of virtue throughout history. I've listened to some of his talks on podcasts and have been very impressed with the guy. I'm pretty sure there are some podcasts specifically about this book, but I'd have to find them somehow. It was years ago that I listened to them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This is a little off topic, so I'll keep it brief. :D

I'd conjecture that the uncommonness of virtue ethics is cultural, and that the main factor would be how we structure our laws and systems of justice. Western law gives almost zero consideration to the character of the individual; judgements are based on strict 'right' and 'wrong' classifications based on the laws on the books.

Damn right!

This is going to slant peoples towards moral-based/normative ethics rather than virtue ethics. Perhaps we did this because it's simpler?

More appealing in an arrogant way, I suppose. Not quite "simpler". Law and justice are hardly ever each other's help, after all.

The only books on virtue ethics that are on my radar are tailored for the contemporary Pagan audience. The one that I own (but haven't gotten around to reading yet) is Emma Restall Orr's "Living with Honour: A Pagan Ethics" and the other is Brenden Myers "The Other Side of Virtue." Myers book would be my suggestion, because from what I've read of the summaries, it is less tailored specifically for Neopagans and offers a general overview of virtue throughout history. I've listened to some of his talks on podcasts and have been very impressed with the guy. I'm pretty sure there are some podcasts specifically about this book, but I'd have to find them somehow. It was years ago that I listened to them.

(I really am using a lot of the CoS' hospitality as of late... sorry about that, folks!)

Is there any particular association between Paganism and Virtue Ethics that you might clue me in about? By PM if you prefer?