• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sociopaths, Psycopaths, Misanthropes gather round

Absolute Zero

fon memories
''For the sake of this arguement let's say these three conditions are hereditary .I found socio/psycopathy being hereditary to be debated or admitted to be unknown. Whilst many are influenst in to misanthropy, I've met some who claim they were like that from birth.

If these three conditions are indeed hereditary, how do you think they may affect humanitty down through years to come?

A bit of information about the three. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sociopath: A sociopath is someone without a consionce, meaning they are able to act how they see fit without the consequnce of guilt. They do not feel empathy for others and instead of feeling how another person feels ( e.g sorrow), are able calculate how the other person feels. They also have difficulty functioning in social situations but show skill in manipulating others. Usually able to stay calm in very bad situations.

Psycopath: Sharing a lot in common with sociopaths, psycopaths are a more steriotypically violent people. Many enjoy hurting others, thus why many seriel killers are psycopaths. They have a talent of finding out who you really are and what makes you tick rather quickly. Some within five minutes of meeting you. Brilliant at manipulating others. Some simply find emotions useless. Whilst that sounds bad, the vast majority of psycopaths are law abiding citizens and are as likely to help you than hinder you. E.g One day they might mug you, the next they may pull you out of a burning building.

Misanthropes: I am less aware to the workings of misanthropes. They hate humanity with a passion. Ones I have encounered seem to show narcicistic tendancies. They also share a few qualities with the two above. Brilliant manipulators. From what I understand they also share the emotional aspect to the two above but to how much depends on the person. Also calculateing others feelings instead of feeling them themselves.

How do you you think these three will advance through human evolution and what may be there outcome? This is a question I've been interested in for a time.

Feel free to prove me wrong if you can, I don't
enjoy holding wrong information and welcome the chance to learn something new.

Note: I have recieved all my information from books, people, internet, etc...''

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think they are here to stay, as are many other "glitches" our genetics seem to be prone to. Things go wrong because DNA replication is not perfect, and sometimes some wires get crossed, metaphorically speaking.
Even if our species evolves in such a way that makes those disorders impossible, there will be new ones to replace them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
For the most part, all three (psychopaths not so much, but narcisists most of all) will diminish considerably in numbers... when and if we decide to take social and familial structure seriously.

Likely to happen in a century or two, IMO.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Psychopathy and sociopathy are synonyms with the antisocial disorder, not fully sure about misanthropes

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
None of those are the types to found a family. Therefore if they're hereditary it's pretty safe to assume their number will decrease over the generations.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
My only input is that I thought misanthropy was a personal belief or worldview, rather than a genetically caused glitch.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I wasn't aware that misanthropy was a clinical condition or even a technical term. Misanthropy can apply to any disappointment with or ill feeling toward mankind.

Personally, I think the world would be better off without us, but I don't "hate humanity with a passion." Does that make me a misanthrope?

apophenia

I have found that sociopath and psychopath are pretty much interchangeable terms. Some claim that sociopathy means merely anti-social behaviour, others that it means total lack of guilt and empathy, which is typically the definition of psychopathy.

Neither necessarily implies violent behavior AFAIK.

I have no idea what it says about our ancestors. Possibly it is a personality type which has always existed. Possibly it is a mutation which turned out to be viable. Possibly it is even beneficial to society in some way, allowing some individuals to make decisions or pursue options which are generally inhibited by empathy or guilt.

Maybe it is as simple as a compromised endocrine system which doesn't produce sufficient oxytocin (the nurturing/bonding hormone) or something along those lines.

It would be interesting to see how a psychopath reacts to MDMA. I never had that experience with the psychopath I knew best. And unfortunately such research is prevented by law.