• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Society or the individual?

Earthtank

Hello everyone,

If you had a gun to your head and had to choose ONLY one, which would it be and why? Please DO NOT choose both, I am sure everyone here knows that a valid case could be made for both.

So given how divided the world seems today when it comes to religion, politics, science and everything in between. If you had to choose ONLY one, would you prioritize the rights of society over the individual or the rights of the individual over society? Please keep your answer rooted in reality as the world is today, not some utopia we wish we lived in.

For example, gun rights and ownership. Do we ban them for the “greater good” of the society or do we prioritize the 2nd amendment over the safety of the individual? If you chose the individual please explain why, if you chose society for please explain why.

I hope the “rules” are clear.

Edited to add:

This is just for fun so please treat it as such. There really isn't 1 size fits all answer as it all depends on the situation but, for sake of this thread, "pick a side."

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Sorry, but for me "the rules" posits and either/or dichotomy that is quite contrary to the way I tend to think. It's sorta like asking "What's more important: breathing or having a heartbeat?". In regards to the OP, both are so terribly important that I am unwilling to separate them.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think either one wins all the time.

Someones the individual wins and other times the society wins.

For either of them to win ALL the time would be really, really bad.

Earthtank

Sorry, but for me "the rules" posits and either/or dichotomy that is quite contrary to the way I tend to think. It's sorta like asking "What's more important: breathing or having a heartbeat?". In regards to the OP, both are so terribly important that I am unwilling to separate them.
I know, that's the whole point of this exercise. Its just for fun, complaining about the "rules" does not help lol

Edited to add:

The point is to kinda make people uncomfortably choose a side. Again, its all for fun.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello everyone,

If you had a gun to your head and had to choose ONLY one, which would it be and why? Please DO NOT choose both, I am sure everyone here knows that a valid case could be made for both.

So given how divided the world seems today when it comes to religion, politics, science and everything in between. If you had to choose ONLY one, would you prioritize the rights of society over the individual or the rights of the individual over society? Please keep your answer rooted in reality as the world is today, not some utopia we wish we lived in.

For example, gun rights and ownership. Do we ban them for the “greater good” of the society or do we prioritize the 2nd amendment over the safety of the individual? If you chose the individual please explain why, if you chose society for please explain why.

I hope the “rules” are clear.

Edited to add:

This is just for fun so please treat it as such. There really isn't 1 size fits all answer as it all depends on the situation but, for sake of this thread, "pick a side."

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Being one who has had a loaded gun to my head in real life, I can't understand what the "fun" in this thread is about?? Do you really think it is fun to be seconds from death?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Being one who has had a loaded gun to my head in real life, I can't understand what the "fun" in this thread is about?? Do you really think it is fun to be seconds from death?

Been there, done that.
No. It isn’t fun at all.

Nevertheless, we may all be seconds from death right now and not know it.

“Hey ! Is that an astero...........”

We are always seconds from death, potentially.

Make friends with it. Let death wake you up.

The only choice you have ever had is whether or not to be happy in the face of suffering and certain death. Not to mention almost total ignorance about the nature of reality.
Facts of life.

This moment is no different to any other.

“You can be happy in hell if you’re smart” - Lama Dorje

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Been there, done that.
No. It isn’t fun at all.

Nevertheless, we may all be seconds from death right now and not know it.

“Hey ! Is that an astero...........”

We are always seconds from death, potentially.

Make friends with it. Let death wake you up.

The only choice you have ever had is whether or not to be happy in the face of suffering and certain death. Not to mention almost total ignorance about the nature of reality.
Facts of life.

This moment is no different to any other.

“You can be happy in hell if you’re smart” - Lama Dorje
I live in the moment :) so what happens in a day or even a few hours is not that important when it comes to my life,but yes i understand only a few thinklike this