• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Social Work School

I'm about to start social work classes this Fall and I'm excited yet scared out of my wits at the same time. I'm excited because this will be the beginning of my journey to who I want to be. But, at the same time, I'm petrified because I'm not guaranteed a spot in the social work program. I might not make it into all of the classes that I want to be in and that's scary as hell because if I don't get in this Fall, I'll have to wait a whole 'nother year to get in, and even then I'm still not guaranteed a spot. The reason it's so competitive is because it's an impacted program, meaning everyone wants to get in, but there's not enough classroom seats and resources to go around. People from other majors get shocked when I say that, but that's how it really is.

So, for now, all I can do is wait and see what's going to happen on enrollment day.

If you think doing it will do any good, would anyone like to pray for me to get into the program?

Axe Elf

Prophet
In Jesus' example, The Lord's Prayer, He prayed "THY will be done," not "MY will be done."

I pray that you are able to align your mind with God's in that way, such that you will manifest the Fruits of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control) in whatever manifests itself as your career, and as your life as a whole.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I'm about to start social work classes this Fall and I'm excited yet scared out of my wits at the same time. I'm excited because this will be the beginning of my journey to who I want to be. But, at the same time, I'm petrified because I'm not guaranteed a spot in the social work program. I might not make it into all of the classes that I want to be in and that's scary as hell because if I don't get in this Fall, I'll have to wait a whole 'nother year to get in, and even then I'm still not guaranteed a spot. The reason it's so competitive is because it's an impacted program, meaning everyone wants to get in, but there's not enough classroom seats and resources to go around. People from other majors get shocked when I say that, but that's how it really is.

So, for now, all I can do is wait and see what's going to happen on enrollment day.

If you think doing it will do any good, would anyone like to pray for me to get into the program?
Sure :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

So, you are asking us to pray for you so that some other poor shot does not get placement?
Just out of curiosity, what country are you in that has such a high demand for social workers?

Personally, though each to their own, I cannot imagine a more stressful, less rewarding, occupation.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

I wish you luck. I do home based case management, and will be starting on my MSW hopefully this fall. It's such a wonderful field, especially knowing you are making a difference and can start to see it in your clients.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It would be nice if more people chose careers helping people, rather than separating them from their cash for gizmos, fashion, junk food, or whatever. :thumbsup:
OMG it is ridiculously absurd how easy it is to fall into a pit hole of a trap and eat out all the time with such a position, lol. Forget lunch a couple times, and suddenly fast food combo meals are making a regular dietary appearance.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Gee, thanks.

Stressful at times, yes, but it's also very rewarding depending on why you go into the field.
I know a few social workers, who have been in the field for many years and they do not share that sentiment. If anything, they feel like political footballs kicked around by the political party in control in a given period and are continually beating their heads against the wall of endless bureaucratic constraints.

Last edited:
So, you are asking us to pray for you so that some other poor shot does not get placement?
Just out of curiosity, what country are you in that has such a high demand for social workers?

Personally, though each to their own, I cannot imagine a more stressful, less rewarding, occupation.
Well, when you put it that way, I guess that does sound a bit selfish... but then, I guess in this world sometimes you have to be a bit selfish in order to get what you need/want, and I need to get into this position. Otherwise, I'm not sure what other career path I'll need to take in order to survive.

And I'm living in the United States. As for why things are so concentrated in my part of this vast country, I have no idea. But it makes me a bit worried about finding a job after college. Hopefully I'll get one, though, preferably within my city of residence or somewhere close by.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well, when you put it that way, I guess that does sound a bit selfish... but then, I guess in this world sometimes you have to be a bit selfish in order to get what you need/want, and I need to get into this position. Otherwise, I'm not sure what other career path I'll need to take in order to survive.

And I'm living in the United States. As for why things are so concentrated in my part of this vast country, I have no idea. But it makes me a bit worried about finding a job after college. Hopefully I'll get one, though, preferably within my city of residence or somewhere close by.
I didn't actually mean that to come out sounding so harsh.

What prerequisites do you already have under your belt that might help you get placement?

I didn't actually mean that to come out sounding so harsh.

What prerequisites do you already have under your belt that might help you get placement?
Oh, no worries!

And I completed all of the courses needed to get into the program, so now I just have to wait until tomorrow to see if I can get in or not. I have to enroll online so I'll see if I can press the enroll button to get in before anyone else can get to it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If anything, they feel like political footballs kicked around by the political party in control in a given period and are continually beating their heads against the wall of endless bureaucratic constraints.
Here, it's more of an issue with insurance, which is just downright stupid. Such as, insurance will not pay for transporting clients, so nothing in our notes can be said of it. Even though me attending and following up with a clients primary physician care are in the treatment plan. So notes are craftily worded into many lines of bull****. And I found out today insurance won't cover for me to do job coaching and social skills development, even though I do with many clients. So things must be worded in a way to appease the money gods of the insurance company (both commercial and public alike) assisted for-profit-based health care. But I'm not there for them, I'm there for my clients. And as well also myself, because as far as social skills development goes I feel like I'm in boot camp, complete with my utter loathing of talking over a phone.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Here, it's more of an issue with insurance, which is just downright stupid. Such as, insurance will not pay for transporting clients, so nothing in our notes can be said of it. Even though me attending and following up with a clients primary physician care are in the treatment plan. So notes are craftily worded into many lines of bull****. And I found out today insurance won't cover for me to do job coaching and social skills development, even though I do with many clients. So things must be worded in a way to appease the money gods of the insurance company (both commercial and public alike) assisted for-profit-based health care. But I'm not there for them, I'm there for my clients. And as well also myself, because as far as social skills development goes I feel like I'm in boot camp, complete with my utter loathing of talking over a phone.
I've always been a great admirer of yours and see that you have similar challenges as described by my friends. Yes, there are many rewards, without a doubt, but ... to a person they say that it is very hard work and extremely stressful.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've always been a great admirer of yours and see that you have similar challenges as described by my friends. Yes, there are many rewards, without a doubt, but ... to a person they say that it is very hard work and extremely stressful.
I have to admit, going from fast food/retail type settings and a distribution center and "food" processing plant, it has me in a situation where I really don't think I work very hard. What's hard is all the "administrative stuff" (phone calls, printing, notes) that I have to keep track of and managing my social anxieties. The biggest stresser though has been how demanding they are that you reach a certainly hourly rate of billable hours, even when you're new, even when you have a flood of cancellations in a week. And that is not at all helped out by an orientation speaker harp on about how we should rarely have any cancellations, and make up excuses when I called the speaker out on it because I didn't get to shadow much my first week because of a ton of cancellations.
I knew profit-based health care and insurance companies were bad before, but seeing it more from the provider side instead of just the "consumer" (I really hate seeing that term in health care) side of it, oh my god it's pretty bad. Where American Conservatives are so scared the government will squeeze themselves between a patient and doctor I have no idea, because the profit motive is wedged so far between there isn't much room left for the state to occupy.